1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ralph sacked as Saints manager

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Osvaldorama, Dec 4, 2021.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd say Salisu is an adequate signing TBF.

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Not on current form. Although he would benefit massively from a Fonte type leader next to him.

Archers Road and Cowtownred like this.
  3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Form is temporary. He was our best player first half of the season.

4. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

What we need is one question how that's achieved is another.
    1. Identify the player 2. Negotiate the affordable fee and personal terms 3. Get the contract signed. Easy peasey lemon squeezey.

5. Saints_Alive

People were saying the same about Big Vester last season iirc.

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Difference is Salisu is much younger so will only improve. And they're completely different defenders. Salisu's main problem is being too rash which can be learned from and coached out of him. Vesty is just slow and will always be slow.

7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Tom you have claimed all along that Djenepo and Diallo will come good. Neither are showing any signs of that unfortunately. Think you’ve got more of a chance of being right with Salisu but his bad form has lasted as long as his good form, so the whole ‘class is permanent’ adage doesn’t really work.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's a reason top clubs are keeping an eye on Salisu. His good form lasted longer for sure. August - Feb is longer than March to May. His performance against City was VVD-esque. And I didn't mention anything about class is permanent. I just said form is temporary which it is.

9. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the point I was making is that the squad is better than 5 points from 33 which in all probability will be 5 from 36 after Sunday.
    Whatever people think of RH, that is not good enough, actually it’s pretty shocking as has the style of football during this period, and there must be a manager which would be available to us, that can do better.
    A lot say “let’s see what he can do if he has some money to spend”. But why would a manager be given a bigger transfer fund when he has already said that he plans to retire within the next 2 years.
    We are a premier league club and would still have good quality managers clambering for a chance to show what they can do in the premier league.
    Time will tell, Sports Republic are a professional business and can’t see them being swayed by Semmens loyalty towards RH. But let’s also hope that they will invest and not just be a European version of Gao.

10. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I can’t help feeling though a lot of our problems on the field is that most of the players seem not to be allowed to play a natural game. Can anyone tell me why when we have a goal kick everyone moves to one side of the field. Surely that defeats the object of keeping the opposition guessing as to our play. We were actively drawing their midfield and forwards well into our Half making it easy for them to attack. Then one of our backs sends the ball into the pack which quite frankly the goalkeeper could have done in the fist place. Some of our play was good but some players ( Broja was one) just didn’t know how to work in midfield. Why did he have to come back for corners he should have been down on the centre line making 2 of their players play deeper towards their own half. Redmond was wasted playing a left back roll he just didn’t have a clue. Why our midfielders stand off players so much is just unbelievable.
    Ok I’ll get off me soap box but I was so sorry to see how we just gave in to the scousers!!
    I have obviously lost confidence in the manager and it seems at least to me the players have too.

Last edited: May 18, 2022

11. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

We didn't setup too badly at all yesterday in truth as evidenced by the early goal but once again we start really well, go ahead and then seem to get dizzy and freak out.

The main thing I was disappointed in was playing Broja up front as a solo striker. We did it a few weeks ago and it produced diddly squat, I am sure there has been work done but he was absolutely no better the second time around. Some roles just dont suit individuals. Adams would have been a better option as he is a brick ****house and will hold onto the ball instead of allowing it to be recycled straight back at us.

We need to move Diallo on IMO, I've not seen any improvement in his play overall which tells me he isn't a player we can rely on. Shift him.

12. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

The question to me is, why is our form ok to good for 12 games and utter dross for the rest.
    As Onion has said if this was more evenly spread across the season it would be just one of those things, but these runs of results just lead to over hype then to disaster mongers. Is it the style of we play has been 'found out' or player fatigue or something else, like manager inflexibility or dressing room behavior?
    As fans I don't think we will know the answer but the truth is no one decision or transfer market or change of manager is going to suddenly make a squad suddenly a top 8 team.
    So the question remains what things should be the priority to improve things -
    - changing the manager and keeping most of the current squad? normally a short term boost followed by reverting to the same standard
    - keeping the manager but give him more money to spend this summer? very much a gamble but on the whole you get what you pay for, but will we have enough money to make a difference
    - or both? This is a bigger gamble. It would require a manager who will have a style (that won't upset the fans) and can attract players that will play his style effectively, and coach other players to adapt. Hard to find the right person for this.

So IMHO I like the press style Ralph has and don't want to risk not seeing that, so if we can get back to that way of playing with a few better players that is the option I am going with. We need better/refreshed coaches to assist. So that is the option I default too. However, if the board have found a manger who plays with a similar style and can attract players, the time to change is now and not wait for the Winter.

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This will displease a few....

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

16. Saints_Alive

I'm happy to see him stay but he desperately needs assistance on and off of the pitch and we need to get back to what makes us competitive and gives us an identity because currently we are playing no better than Pellegrino's team.

17. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Premier league team is going to buy and sell some players in the summer window, what a shock

Velcro Roy likes this.
  18. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Yes Saints extra does appear to have a dose of the bleeding obvious.

19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They're just quoting other sources.

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  20. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think it’s a brilliant bit of self-analysis to work out that improvements need to be made.