1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Firstly I should say that my personal stance is that violent crimes deserve severe sentences, my sympathies are for the victim I have no sympathy for offenders whatsoever.

As you rightly say it was for manslaughter and not murder but I honestly don't know whether his age has any bearing on the length of the sentence or not. He may be a minor but to kill someone at 14 years of age is horrendous. Four and a half years from a possible ten is overly lenient IMO considering the circumstances.

From the limited details in the article I'm amazed the jury only convicted him of manslaughter in the first place. It wasn't a spur of the moment incident, ambushing the guy out of cctv veiw and being heard to say "I'm going to kill" suggests premeditation to me. Having an established history of carrying knives says he was already known to authorities

2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

How much does the film industry do to make young people think that knife and bullet wounds aren’t as deadly as they can be? Do they have an impact or should people realise that their version is make believe?
    We’ve all watched films where the hero sustains numerous injuries yet continues to battle on before winning the day.
    Not making excuses, as the news and media is rife with knife deaths, but genuinely wondering about it.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah unfortunately our justice system is geared towards protecting property more than protecting people - I personally know somebody who served three years for burning and selling pirate dvds. You see people convicted of rape/sexual assault who get less than that ffs.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Someone I know got 12 months for fraud......but in the same week a pedophile who was found guilty got a suspended sentence.

Number 1 Jasper and Libby like this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree with your first paragraph and my sympathies too lie with the victim and I'd also support stronger sentences for violent crimes. I'm just saying that that's where the issue is rather than the judges decision on this particular case. If he had handed out a ten year sentence you can guarantee that it would be reduced on appeal.

I might be mistaken but I think the judge has to take age into account when sentencing a minor but happy to be corrected on that.

Couldn't agree more with your final paragraph btw, espescially as to be guilty of murder there doesn't have to be an intent to kill but only an intent to 'seriously harm'.

It's an issue that's close to my heart anyway to be honest, one of my closest friends was killed at 18 by a bloke in his mid 20's. He served 3 and a half years.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah that's a good example of what I mean.

saintrichie123 likes this.
  7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

(To lighten the mood on match day - and not to belittle the serious convo on here)

The biggest issue I have is that Wesley Hoedt is masquerading as a footballer and his sentence 5 years...at being paid £40k/week.

Now that is a crime.

8. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

So . My sister in law Became a grandmother for the first time a few months ago . She has not long retired so she can be a doting grandmother and spend time with her husband who is also retired .

went into hospital and while there they found a tumour on her bowl , but they had caught it in time .

Suddenly they just sent her home , only to be told they had not caught it in time and the C has spread to her liver .

They won’t operate and will start chemotherapy ASAP , but it is only a matter of time .

you couldn’t make it up :emoticon-0106-cryin

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh ****ing hell mate :(

Really sorry to hear that and thoughts with you and your family.

Cancer is such a ****.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Cheers Libby . It is indeed a basatrd

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

So sorry to hear that J. There is no justice when it comes to cancer. Stay strong mate.

sotonsaint and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  12. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Sad news mate, is it worth the pain of chemo though if it's got to that stage?

13. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

****, J, that’s so awfully tragic. Feel for you mate.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

That is so, so sad.
    My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Always cling to any hope offered. My wife was given 6-12 months 5 1/2 years ago. Her cancer is terminal, so it will catch up with her at some stage, but she is proof that sometimes you can get extra time.
    Fingers crossed for you.

15. Number 1 Jasper

Thank you SB .

Hopefully she will have quite a while yet .

San Tejón likes this.
  16. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep Jasp, keep your spirits up

As St Badger said, a diagnosis isn't a fact that it will pan out like that.

The positives to see are the so far 'extra' 4 years or so Mrs Badger has had. And let's not forget, life is terminal anyway, not just cancer, so every day in life is special.

17. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

Jasper, one of my dearest friends, Sheila, was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer 14 years ago and on top of that she has struggled with alcoholism for more years than I care to remember. She is a tough woman and a real fighter but a few years ago it looked all up for her, but it wasn't. She got herself off the drink, got as fit as she could and is now as healthy as I have ever seen her.

She joined several environment groups, spends lots of her time campaigning, encouraging others in support groups and is very active in re-wilding areas of the country. Sheila is living proof that no matter how bad it looks and no matter how desperate we might feel, it might not be insurmountable.

Thinking of you Jasper and wishing you and your family the very best.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

19. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Sad, but “who the **** is Caroline Flack, I thought” - had to look it up. More sad are the so many people who die by their own hands and are only mourned by their family and friends. I DO wish this world of second rate celebrities didn’t rule so many lives ....
    But maybe it will bring more awareness. Just give her family the space and privacy to mourn now

20. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep I know where you are coming from - It was the media that made her feel like this, so I hope they leave her family alone.

I just feel so sad that anyone - famous or not feels that the only option is to take their own life. I mentioned earlier that life is so precious. It is so, so, sad that at 40 a young beautiful woman feels this way.

davecg69 likes this.