1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

To all the kiddies that fail their exams always remember two things
    1) You tried your best
    2) No gherkin in my Big Mac

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I was in New Mexico and a cowboy asked me if I could help round up 18 cows.

I said: “Yes, of course, that’d be 20 cows.”

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

My wife had something come up on her Facebook page, titled “How much of a narcissist are you?”
    She asked me what exactly is a narcissist, (she never thinks to google things, bless her) so I started to explain then just said “Boris Johnson”.
    She gets it now.

Just added this as it asks the question why are people impressed by the likes of Johnson.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/09/8482356/dark-triad-examples

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/not-just-space-potato-nasa-190009922.html
    An article about the information being received from a space probe now a billion miles beyond Pluto...having been launched in 2006. And yet still in our solar system! I never cease to be wowed by the incredible size of our system and how beyond our understanding is the sheer size of the Universe. I just wish my grasp of mathematics would allow me to better understand the physics of it all (a GCE O level and an ability to score a darts match doesn't quite cut it :)).

I also never cease to be wowed by the incredible thickness of some people making comments on articles like this....do they really not think that man went to the moon? It puts me off adding my thoughts...which is why I guess silly people dominate the comments section. And I also don't get why they feel science is a direct opposite to believing in God. I was religious once and I know how happy that can make you feel, but, if you are a believer, why not believe in a God creating a whole wonderful universe for us to explore. Don't see the contradiction myself.

5. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I agree Fran, an amazing technological achievement and it astonishes me that something man-made could potentially still be operating in decades to come and travelling billions of miles further into the galaxy.
    I read the comments, and as usual it just reinforces my view that although I like the concept of humanity, I'm not very keen on the individual humans that make up that group. It's a shame really, because it makes it tough for me to care about other people at times.

6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

h
    Never forget that most people are nice and caring...and even people who differ from our viewpoints can still be good people. Easy to come to the conclusion that people with a bad point (and that is most of us) must be bad through and through. We are allowed to be different and to think differently....as long as we temper that with tolerance and understanding. Sadly, the internet has given a platform to the few that don't understand that and have an agenda that they can post about on any topic. How an article about the symptoms of a coronavirus becomes a forum for racism I thankfully don't understand.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Nice little summation of where user tech is going:

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well said.
    I think the vast majority of people are generally good, but I wish some of those good people would sometimes stop and give others the benefit of the doubt, instead of piling into them and considering them idiots. Often, it's a rush to judgement before all the data is in, in any case. Unfortunately, the internet has given people the opportunity to rage with little on no meaningful repercussions. But people don't have to take advantage of that opportunity. So, personally, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me enough genuine evidence to point to and say "hey, this is wrong." I still won't wholly condemn them. They may well be a good person who has done one thing wrong by my judgement. I just think it might be a slightly better world if we were all a bit more tolerant of each other. We're all on the same world. Looking at the bigger picture once in a while would not hurt.

9. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

The distance is so vast it is amazing. Even going at about 15km/sec it will take about 20,000 years to leave our solar system and about 80,000 to get to the nearest star if it was going in that direction.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I love space facts. You know, if you rolled Pluto out flat, it would be about the size of Russia.

Also, as we know, Pluto is no longer considered a planet, but a dwarf planet. There are four other dwarf planets in our solar system; Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris. The closest dwarf to us, is Ceres, which is between Mars and Jupiter.

The only difference between a planet and a dwarf planet, by the way, is the ability to clear it's own orbital path. Basically Earth's gravitational field will sling rocks out of its way, whereas Pluto's won't. Or something like that.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Also, in the last few days scientists have confirmed the existence of an extragalactic FRB (fast radio burst) that repeats every 16.5 days.

The first single FRB was detected in 2007, and since then, many repeating ones have been discovered, but they were all irregular. This is the first time a regular-repeating radio burst has been detected, and no one knows what the f*ck is causing it.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/2/13/21135200/fast-radio-bursts-astronomy-aliens

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Also, as we know, Pluto is no longer considered a planet, but a dwarf planet. There are four other dwarf planets in our solar system; Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris. The closest dwarf to us, is Ceres, which is between Mars and Jupiter.

------------------

Always been interested in our solar system. I remember at school when they found the 10th planet. Such a buzz of excitement, and it had a funny name. But Smileys time didn't last, not only did they declassify it, they also gave it a **** name. Albion.
    The shame...............

13. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

14. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

"You went round the corner with a place you knew there was no CCTV, planning to ambush Mr Edginton with the knife you were carrying,"

4 years is a joke. Should get that for carrying it, not using it!

It's Only A Game likes this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

Four and a half years isn't overly lenient for a minor (14) convicted of manslaughter imo. I've known fully grown men get similar or slightly less even.

16. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

"Manslaughter" <laugh>

If you stick in blade in someone you do so to end there life. End of.

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree completely - the jury didn't however, and the judge has to sentence to the crime of which he was convicted.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Tricky one - as a 14 year old, you can say that he is not of an age to truly know what he is doing, so a life sentence could be too much.

However, where do you draw the line. He did in cold blood murder someone - that is irreversible and needs to have a punishment for it.

How many of us are the same now than we were at 14? (those over 30 obv).

Not agreeing at all, just putting it out there.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm just pointing out that he wasn't convicted of murder, and as a minor that isn't an overly lenient sentence.

You very rarely if ever see a life sentence for manslaughter, just looked it up and sentence generally is between 2-10 years.

20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep ridiculous amount of time for someone responsible for a death.

I have friends who last year went down for between 4 and 6 years each for fraud. Only it wasn’t to me. Don’t want to get onto it but IMHO there was no fraud and on another day they would not have gone down. No one got hurt or died, but 3 guys who paid on average over 100k each tax a year for the last 25 years are inside over a 50k tax bill...,

And breathe.

Libby and It's Only A Game like this.