1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

My daughter suggested that Bran warged into Drogon for the Iron Throne-melting scene, to ensure that the kingship would have to be different from then on.

davecg69 likes this.
  2. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I was in Padstow during the summer. As per usual, the place was crawling with emmets and every ice cream and pasty shop had a lengthy queue snaking out the door so I'm just sitting on a bench, people watching. One chap in a queue for a pasty had finally got to the front, got his pasty, and stepped outside into the sunshine. He opened the paper bag, slid the pasty half out and was about 2" away from his first bite...when a herring gull swooped down and with unerring accuracy, snatched the whole thing out of the chap's hands and flew off. The man's head dropped, his shoulders slumped and he gave a huge sigh before he rejoined the queue to get another pasty. It's possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen...
    Until today. I was driving home today, stuck in a bit of traffic so was just people watching again, as is my wont. I noticed a chap outside his house, sweeping up a few leaves and bits of rubbish with a wooden brush. The brush had seen better days, and with a particularly vigorous sweep, the brush head fell off. The old boy bent down picked the brush head up, inserted the handle into the socket and carried on sweeping. 5 seconds later, the brush head fell off again. This time, he turned the brush bit the right way up with his foot, inserted the handle and leant on it to force it into the socket properly...the handle snapped. He didn't appear to say anything, he just bent down, picked up the 3 pieces and dropped them straight into his bin. His spirit was crushed by this point and he just walked up his path and disappeared inside his house.
    It was lucky that I was stationary at the time because I laughed so hard I certainly would have crashed if I'd been driving
    I do know that it's not right to laugh at other people's misfortune, but Brush Guy, you made my day

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Was going to write something about Niki Lauda, but after reading that mean post, I'll leave it a while!
    I hate seeing old people fail. Its like my one weakness. I remember as a child traveling on a nation express bus, and the little old lady in the seat in front was about to pour herself a tea from her thermos when the bus went over a bump, and she spilled hot water in her lap, and made these little yelps, the sound still haunts me, it was like the saddest thing I ever witnessed. Had I not been ten, I would have jumped into action. I remained stunned in my seat for the remaining miles. Awful.

4. Schrodinger's Cat

If you mean my post just above, the guy with the brush was probably only 7 or 8 years older than me, and I've got 15 years until I retire so I'm not exactly laughing at frail pensioners

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

Fair enough.
    Sounds more pitiful than funny to me, but hey ho.

6. Schrodinger's Cat

I'm not as nice as you HR

7. ----HistoryRepeating----

Had he got full on rage, and smashed the crap out of plant pots.......well that's different.
    But I imagine his day just got worse.
    Old people are my kryptonite.

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yep, I understand that one. Re: the man with the brush - It was a practical bad day encapsulated into a couple of minutes.
    The man with the pasty is Me, but change it to fish and chips. Same place - we were staying with relatives just up the road, and we thought we'd give Padstow the look-in. Well, you have to, don't you. Place was relatively deserted, so no queue. We smelled the fish and chips and were guided in. Cue me sat on the harbour wall about to take my first bite and I got clouted by an adult gull which swooped down, took my fish, flew off, found the fish in batter too hot and dropped it into the harbour water and flew away with hot feet. The fish undoubtedly fed loads of creatures eventually. I went and got another batch, but gave my original chips out to the various other gulls. You learn.

9. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I like it when songs are sung in languages other than English and when it's such a historic and such a regional specific language, that makes it even better. Its a catchy song though, I'd have bought it off iTunes already had they not complained about my iTunes being out of date.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I hate gulls with a vengeance. Correction...I hate gulls who aren't living on cliffs and feeding themselves from the sea.

I went to Madeira last year...not a gull in sight in Funchal. Apparently they fly eagles at intervals and insist all rubbish is cleared away. Result the gulls live naturally on nearby cliffs.

11. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

People clearing away their rubbish in the UK? That's as likely Portsmouth winning the Premier League. Feels like I'm living in some oversized landfill half the time.

12. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Certain gulls in Cornwall have started to be an adapted species, I'm quite certain. 1] they are quite a bit larger, and 2] they've learned that a blind side attack works almost 100% of the time, aside from other behavioural changes. Feeding them with chips, is the worst thing I could have done. Then again, I'd rather the potato went to them than waste them in a bin.

13. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Wimps the lot of yer . You should of tried eating a sandwich in Trafalgar Square a few years ago without getting covered from head to toe in Pigeons

14. fran-MLs little camera

Littering has certainly got worse....mainly I suppose down to fast food. When I was a girl (when dinosaurs walked the Earth :)) people just didn't eat in the street. My mother would never let me eat anything other than an ice cream in public as it wasn't ladylike....ice cream being permitted because I was a child. Still doesn't explain why people drop litter inches from a bin though.

15. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

A few inches is too far to walk for some people I'm afraid Fran. A lot of people are just lazy. Another thing that annoyed me was finding a space in a Supermarket car park only to find it occupied by a shopping trolley because they are to lazy to take it back to the trolley park. My local supermarket now has the pound coin device on the trolleys and it seems to combat this.

16. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Littering is one of my biggest bugbears.

fatletiss likes this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I nearly got thumped in my car once when I flashed and gesticulated at the car in front, after a passenger in the back opened the door and placed a McDonalds bag on the road in the middle lane at a roundabout, whilst in traffic jam.

The bloke that got it and came to my car was rather large :eek: so I decided to stay in my car whilst telling him they shouldn’t litter the road. His anger was because, “She’s just been sick in the bag and had to put it somewhere.” He didn’t accept my response that he should still have stopped at the lay-by 200 yards up to put it in the bin.

I told him he was a total w4nker and he was lucky I didn’t have time to stop and give him a clip round the ear *

* he may not have heard that bit as he’d driven off :)

18. fran-MLs little camera

Dog poo bags dropped in the street or thrown into a hedge or garden....should be a capital offence to stop that person's DNA getting into the herd. :mad:

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

The Flat Earth society are in Brighton holding a meeting at a pub called The Globe. Not even joking.

20. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

People who eat stuff as they go round sainsburys get on my tits , atleast wait until you get out the shop to crack open your kinder beuno!

fatletiss and It's Only A Game like this.