1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

2. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

We've been doing this in Wales for about 5 years (maybe longer). Food waste collected ever week then alternate rubbish and recycling. It works really well though there are situations where people need more regular rubbish collections, such as families with babies who use non-washable nappies. My local authority is really pushing re-usable nappies because of this but they're not suitable for every family.

I was amazed, visiting friends in Luton and Worcestershire, that they didn't have food waste collections. Every authority in Wales collects food waste... come on England, you're behind the times!

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

If the supermarkets cut back on the packaging they continue to chuck at us, then yeah, I think it would work. We need everyone to get onboard at the same time. That's key.

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

(Hey Helen, good to have you back! I thought you'd wait till we won a game, then come in like our golden lucky mascot!!!!)

5. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Lucky mascot? ME??!! Obviously, me being away hasn't changed Saints' fortunes at all so thought I'd better come back and see if it made a difference - if we beat Arsenal you'll all never hear the end of it :biggrin:

fatletiss likes this.
  6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Your system is the one we have on the Island...food every week, rubbish and recycling on alternate weeks. No problem.

Saint Helen likes this.
  7. ----HistoryRepeating----

I'm due a sabbatical....
    ........It's in the post

8. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

You eat food every week?

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Tough regime in the prison

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If the supermarkets do that, you’ll need to shop daily and the food waste from the supermarkets would increase dramatically.

We have food waste collections, but how about we don’t waste food? Only buy what you neee, eat all you buy and compost any waste.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

12. ----HistoryRepeating----

We have food waste collections, but how about we don’t waste food?
    -----------------------

Wrapping fruits that have thick skins in plastic is just one example. Many others I can think of.
    And no-body wants to throw food away. Children can be fussy, foods go off quicker than labels suggest quite often I find. Lots of reasons.
    Think we need to help people solve this, not tell them in some matter of fact way.

13. fatletiss

Do you really know about this or just following the media frenzy? Do you know what that plastic does?

Try me with some of the many others.

14. fatletiss

China stopped taking plastic waste awhile ago. That’s probably a good thing, because 97% of plastic in the ocean comes from Asia/India/Africa

Edit: see my post to HR and the last paragraph about rubbish collections. If we all recycled the same way with one national system, this problem could be drastically reduced, if not eradicated.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  15. ----HistoryRepeating----

So we don't use too much plastic?
    Or we don't recycle enough?
    Or we produce too much?
    I don't even know what your asking.

16. fatletiss

You mentioned plastic on thick skinned fruit. I asked you if you know what that plastic does? Do you?

Let’s start with my questions that I already asked then I’ll answer yours.

17. ----HistoryRepeating----

Nah, lets just blame 97% of it on somewhere in the east instead. <doh>
    That is wrong on so many levels.

18. fatletiss

Ok, so you don’t know what you’re talking about and clearly don’t want to have a conversation with someone who does.

1. It is factually correct.
    2. Tell me these levels it is wrong on (bearing in mind you are talking to someone from the industry who could give you some explanations and actually real information on a subject they know about and live and breathe every day).

Now, I’ll be polite and ask you again if you know what that material on the fruit is for and I’ll give you a brief explanation. If you don’t want to know or just want to make flippant remarks HR, then I’ll leave it.

Sadly I’m going to guess that you don’t know and have just been hit by the media frenzy.

Edit: I’ll correct my original comment and as I should have added Africa to Asia/India

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  19. ----HistoryRepeating----

If you are telling me, that the country I live (& western civilisation) isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to plastic pollution, then I don't want to hear anymore. I'll give up thinking about it & not worry any longer.
    When I think of all the households, in all the villages, in all the towns, in all the cities chucking black-bags out on a weekly basis, it makes me fear the future of our children. If you are right, then there's no stopping the pending doom.
    I hate bin day, because it reminds me of every other bin day.

20. fatletiss

I am telling you exactly that.

However (and this is the important bit and maybe surprising from someone in the industry) you must hear more and we must do something. The issue is in the understanding and making sure that our media and our governments get the right message and education to the public on this subject. We must recycle properly. We must push other nations to recycle properly. We must educate them to stop dumping in rivers and oceans. People need to know where and when plastic doesn’t have to be used as there are lots of applications it is over kill, but lots when it serves a very important purpose. Right now, it’s just the latest bandwagon to jump on.

I’ll stop now as there is so much needed to be done and I haven’t even touched on the CO2 emissions released in the production of other materials.

I will say though that your initial one comment (which I passionately grabbed on to) is probably how a very large % of the public think, because it is what they are being told by the media.

Last point. This discussion started because one person mentioned their new rubbish collections and then other sspokenof theirs and the differences. That’s the first thing needed to be put right; everyone should have the same collections and recycling as most of it goes to land full now when it need not.