1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Queen Lovers

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Victor, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

information for Queen lovers, you may be interested to know that on Sky arts 1500 hrs ........ .......
    Queen Hungarian Rhapsody in Budapest is on.......... you may already know, but I know that some of you love Queen. Can be recorded. ......... on channel 123 Virgin.

2. 8past7

8past7 Well-Known Member

Queen were a fantastic band. Freddie might well have been camp and promiscuous and flamboyant but by God what a fantastic musician he was. Great voice, played piano, played guitar and wrote fantastic songs. No doubt the best frontman to any group ever and the only group where all 4 members wrote number 1 songs.

oh how I wish God would swap Freddie for Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran

ps, @TheRealBubbles is a massive fanny

3. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

I was luck to see his last gig at Knebworth and he owned the stage. Guy was sheer class, best gig I’ve been to.

mustyfrog, daimungeezer and 8past7 like this.
  4. 8past7

8past7 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised they let you in

mustyfrog and neveroffsidereff like this.
  5. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm in the minority here - but I detested Queen more than any other band I can think of. I just saw them as a novelty band with the cheesiest of songs and the most bland sounding guitar tone ever. I remember in my earlier days playing in bands around workingmans clubs and all the old fogeys loved Queen. They were everything I hated in music.

Quite a few legendary bands/performers have at least one song that ruins all other work they have done and caused irreparable damage to any legacy they may have had - Stevie Wonder ruined himself with "I Just Called to Say I Love you", Feargal Sharkey went from the punk tones of "Teenage Kicks" to totally destroying the image with " A Good Heart", Queen - well there's just too many, none more so than "I Want to Break Free" with honourable mentions going to "Fat Bottom Girls", "We Will Rock You" "Radio Gaga" and "We Are the Champions" - all just mainstream moneymaking dross that is fit for nothing more than schoolkids. That's not to say they weren't great performers - they obviously did put on a great live show, just that I hated the songs.

I've worked with Brian May a couple of times and he's a really nice bloke and talented guitarist - I've never told him how I feel about Queen though lol.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  6. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

A lot of bands are probably sanctimonious precious dicks, probably right up themselves jeleous of big bands that did well, until against the odds they are lucky enough to get a money maker hit that stands out, then instead of sold out they say their evolving ! Music industry is cut throat diva land imo !

daimungeezer and DragonPhilljack like this.
  7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I used to party in my younger days on occasions in Kingston upon Thames, and got friendly with a lad that used to sing for the 'Eyes of Blue' he was a Morriston boy!.........................<ok>

8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Music will always divide opinions as shown in the posts above but I loved them. Seven Seas of Rye began their rise albeit a slow one but at their peak no one could touch them . and they've shown they'll endure the years as shown with each generation becoming fans. Hammer to Fall possibly my favourite Queen single and as a live set

neveroffsidereff and swantastic like this.
  9. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Queen are a band I've never bought a record of or followed in any way but I really appreciate their talent and they did write some great songs.

I do, however, take your point about some cheesy songs, especially Radio Gaga (I wouldn't agree on We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions but do agree on Brian May).

10. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I saw Queen at Cardiff Castle in 1976 and were great to watch live.

11. TheRealBubbles

TheRealBubbles Well-Known Member

Queen were a novelty band growing up along with Status Quo. Their music spoke to many, I have no doubt, but they may as well be speaking Vietnamese. Without Mercury they may well have been consigned to the history books as another band that didn’t realise their potential. In retrospect they over achieved, because of not in spite of, Mercury, and I have no doubt they will enter a hall of fame for hall of famers - all because of the front-man. IMO.

Victor likes this.
  12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean when you say they were a novelty band ,they are certainly different something at the time of their conception which was badly needed ,when you consider who they were up against at the time Sweet Slade Mud Bay city rollers and David Cassidy all imo none of which could match them in terms of musicianship inventiveness and energy ,how many bands still going today would have kept going without the lead singer ,The Who without Daltry ,stones without Jagger etc the only band who spilt up and continued successfully as individuals were the Beatles and Genesis when Collins took over from Peter Gabriel Queen other than that there not many Bands who continued after the lead singer departed

13. TheRealBubbles

We differ musically Matthew, nothing more, nothing less. They were ****e growing up and continue to be ****e now. That fvckin Adam Lambert optimises everything that Queen stand for. A glitzy facade without soul. Utter bollox IMO Matthew.

14. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Missed it

15. 8past7

8past7 Well-Known Member

you’re a massive clungebucket

16. TheRealBubbles

So?

55282 likes this.
  17. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

I personally like Queen, however the movie imo was rubbish bar the music, I will admit some of their songs were odd - Radio Gaga, Fat Bottomed Girls however they will always be remembered for Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, I Want to Break Free, Crazy Little Thing Called Love etc etc. Would have loved to have seen them live. Each to their own I suppose, and I do love Status Quo (have a few of their original vinyl, first single I ever bought as a kid was Down the Dustpipe)

18. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

We all have our preference in Music, But most of you here will probably not fall in with my taste of Music.
    I do at times like some light popular classical music , like Andre Rieu, and I like Neil Diamond with Sweet Caroline,
    I wish sometimes that was adopted by the Liberty supporters, what a chorus.

The song I love most of all is ..... THE ROSE by Bette Middler. .with lyrics best version on U Tube.
    Fantastic meaning words to listen to, And the last line of the song....... The creation of new life.
    To me the best song of my time, I sit down and really listen when it is on. ........ O.K. You may not agree,
    But be tolerant , as you may have your own favourites.. ...... But to me THE ROSE by BETTE.

daimungeezer and mustyfrog like this.
  19. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Mam.....I still miss you :emoticon-0153-broke. :emoticon-0152-heart:emoticon-0152-heart...

mustyfrog likes this.
  20. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Don’t you diss the Quo. Must have seen them about 20 times. Actually think their best gig was when they did an acoustic set in Portsmouth, they were excellent that night. Funny enough they supported Queen at the Knebworth gig. Love Quo.

daimungeezer and mustyfrog like this.