1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR players call for better FA Cup rewards

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jan 4, 2015.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

QPR players call for better FA Cup rewards
    Rangers trio want top Euro spot as incentive

• Rangers trio want top Euro spot as incentive
    please log in to view this image

Cup of hope: Barton (L)
    QPR players believe the reward of a Champions League spot for the winners would rekindle the magic of the FA Cup.
    Joey Barton, Nedum Onuoha and Clint Hill are unanimous in hoping to reverse Hoops miserable recent form in the game’s greatest domestic competition when they face last year’s semi-finalists Sheffield United at home on Sunday.
    They are equally aware Premier League outfits will field a mix of reserves and first-teamers (see gallery) against lesser sides at the weekend, but reckon the Cup deserves more respect and a better incentive.

VIEW GALLERY
    Barton thinks only the top three in the Premier League should get a coveted Euro place, with the fourth spot going to those who hold aloft the famous old trophy at Wembley in May.
    He also believes holding the semi-finals at the home of football cheapens the thrill of the big day.
    “I use to love the semi-finals at Villa Park and Hillsbrough,” he said, “but we’ve got this financial black hole that is Wembley needing to be paid for.
    “It takes a bit of shine off it; a bit like penalties at the end rather than an FA Cup final replay. It would be interesting if they put a Champions League place at stake, and you maybe you would see a change in attitude.”

Nedum Onuoha
    All three also want a second taste of Wembley after the red-letter day of the Championship play-off final and a 1-0 win over Derby against the odds last season.
    Onuoha added: “Having played at Wembley for the first time last season, it’s something I would want for everybody.
    “You can’t go into the (Cup) game thinking about the league, because it’s only six or seven games before you’re there again.
    “For me, it was a great thing to go up those steps, and there has been sides in the past you never expected to be there, so why not us?"
    Defender Hill also hopes those drafted in as part of Rangers rotation system step up to the plate and get the club through to the fourth round.
    “On the flip side (of any changes) it’s a chance for players not playing enough to get 90 minutes, and give the manager a headache,” he added.

Going down: Clint Hill (L) gets a nudge from James McArthur in action
    Barton has never got past the quarter final in a 12-year career, and his one and only tie for Rangers was a 1-0 defeat to bitter rivals Chelsea in 2012.
    However, the memories of queuing all night for tickets outside his beloved Everton in 1989 is seared into the memory.
    He said: “It’s the greatest Cup and I feel we should prioritise it, and rekindle the prestige that was synonymous with it.
    “I remember Everton versus Liverpool with street parties and a proper day out. But maybe it’s a case of people upstairs prioritising the Premier League, and maybe to some kids growing up, the FA Cup has become a bit like the League Cup.
    “I want to play against Sheffield, and I’ll be telling the manager that.”

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Kiwi, any chance you could put up a link about summat 'Arry hasn't said in either his pre or post match press conferences? :wink:

just for you swords

3. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

Why worry about it when you always lose in the third round

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

maybe they hope to try harder

5. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

They have a point about the reward but for us it's a bit like having a donkey sat in your back garden and sending a carrot to Mars - the fourth round would be a start (and a Europa place should be good enough for all but the top four teams anyway).

6. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

It just gives the impression that they are not willing to give 100% for our club as things stand

KooPeeArr likes this.
  7. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Impression I get is that the 3 of them were sent to do the presser with HR. Following HR's comments about the cup being devalued and having a bit of time left after the usual cliched Q&A session someone has asked them what they'd do to revalue the cup. Rather than taking it as a minor part of the session the journalist has instead tried to make it into the story of the conference. It's a bit of a drip feed of the QPR all about money, mercenary players being paid a fortune, etc image they like to create.

8. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I completely agree with them.