1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

QPR’S big opportunity

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jan 7, 2015.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

QPR’S big opportunity
    January 7, 2015
    By Rafael Fernandez – @RafaFernandez82, Shoot’s QPR blogger
    please log in to view this image

Welcome to QPR’s tenth Premier League away match of the season as they visit fellow relegation battlers Burnley for a Saturday afternoon affair at Turf Moor.
    The Super Hoops will be looking to do the double over their opponents but historically, with a record of two wins, 11 losses and three draws, Turf Moor has been a house of horrors for QPR. The last win for the R’s at Turf Moor was a 2-0 victory back in November of 2007 with goals from Damion Stewart and Rowan Vine.
    The R’s and the Clarets may have each picked up five points in their last six league matches, but it’s Burnley who are coming into this match with momentum after earning a draw and an FA Cup third round replay against Tottenham at home. This all comes on the back of equally hard-earned draws at Newcastle and Manchester City during league play prior to the FA Cup. This is in stark contrast to how Rangers are entering the match; having just been defeated 3-0 at Loftus Road during their FA Cup third round match against Sheffield United, and disappointing back-to-back draws at home against Crystal Palace and Swansea City.

It is no secret that Rangers come into this weekend’s crucial match with the most abysmal away record in the Premier League. Without a single point on the road at all this season, the R’s will be desperate to turn things around in their first of 2015. However, with only two wins in 10 league matches at Turf Moor, Burnley have not exactly established their home as a fortress.

In the last three Premier League campaigns, QPR have only won a grand total of five away matches. As in five out of 47 away Premier League matches in three seasons now; a drought that dates back to March 2, 2013 where the R’s defeated Southampton 2-1 at St. Mary’s.

Some say that the game of football is a simple game really. Pass the ball around strategically, find the weak areas in defence, and exploit those weaknesses while putting the ball in the back of the net and outscoring the opposition. For QPR however, this hardly seems the norm. Rangers’ tactics on the road have seen us play unfamiliar formations and styles while looking to hit back on the counter-attack. The only problem with this has been the constant absorbance of pressure when allowing the home side to play as they will in our half. Little pressure and horrific passing has led to minimal possession in midfield and chances on goal. This has essentially been the norm for all of QPR’s matches on the road. The end results have left many supporters frustrated and calling for change in player rotations, tactics, formations, and even within the coaching ranks. It is hard to say if Harry Redknapp is in the hot seat at the moment, but surely if results on the road continue to be as abysmal as they have been, then one can only see change within the managerial position in the future.
    Burnley will enter this match having strengthened up front with the addition of Sam Vokes returning from injury to partner alongside the ever-dangerous Danny Ings and George Boyd. While QPR may have beaten the Clarets 2-0 just last month, this is still a Burnley side that is very dangerous as they have numerous players who can make a difference on the pitch at any given moment.

Likewise, QPR also carry the potential to step up and play to the potential that their roster shows. This has been seen and displayed numerous times by the likes of Charlie Austin, Leroy Fer, Eduardo Vargas, and Robert Green – just to name a few. But the only issue with this is that the main majority of those performances have only been at Loftus Road. It is crucial that someone, somewhere makes that step up and takes charge on the road so as to get us desperate needed road points.

One player who could be that person for us is the recently acquired Mauro Zarate. On loan from West Ham United, Zarate comes to QPR with a massive chip on his shoulder and eagerness to finally kickstart his Premier League campaign. Feeling frozen out and disrespected by Sam Allardyce, Zarate will look to prove many of his doubters wrong and show that he has what it takes to be a quality striker in the league. This type of attitude and eagerness may just be what the squad at QPR needs to galvanise them on the road. It is yet to be known if Zarate will make his Rangers debut on the road, but given the recent run of play and results, it could prove to be the fresh start that they may need to get them over their miseries on the road.

What tactics and formation Redknapp chooses to go with really will be the key to this match. On paper, QPR should walk out as winners. But this is precisely why matches are not played on paper, but rather on the pitch. It is a new year, and the season is now more than halfway complete. At some point questions have to be answered and results must be produced on the road if QPR are to truly survive this season in the Premier League.

Looking to get on the score sheet first is vital in this contest. With upcoming tough matches ahead, a vastly disappointing lose in the FA Cup, and an atrocious road record staring them in the face, Rangers backs are against the wall. This is usually where they tend to dig deep and produce an unexpected result. With that in mind, I will be brave and tip this match in favour of the R’s. 2-1 to the Super Hoops. COYRS!!!

that is a terrible stat

2. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

It's like saying we didn't win an away Premier League match in the 2000s - accurate but incomplete in a depressing sort of way.

3. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

"On paper qpr should walk out as winners".

Just had to lol

4. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

Awfully written. Zarate doesn't come to us with a chip on his shoulder, he comes to us with something to prove - massive difference.

Didley Squat likes this.
  5. MKRanger71

MKRanger71 Active Member

That photo must be up for caption competition, is Rio saying "lets shoot him now blat blat blat" (think that's what the kids say) or "they told me I was past it and going to yard for to be shot"

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I'm all for fierce literary criticism, but Rafa has a real love of QPR and is working hard at trying to make sense of what's going on from a long way off.

And compared to Clive Whittingham he's Tolstoy.

7. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

QPR-bound Mauro Zarate slams West Ham boss Sam Allardyce over 'lack of respect'

Striker who has agreed a loan deal until the end of the season accuses manager of refusing to play him because he was signed by chairman David Sullivan

“The chairman has confidence in me. I know this because he brought me to the club.
    "But for this reason the manager has refused to play me. He did not want me.”

"I wanted to go to a club where I was appreciated. Where I could play every week as the manager at West Ham has made it difficult for me ever since I arrived.

“I now believe that at QPR under Redknapp, a coach I respect, I will get the chance to show that I can score goals and that I can be an important player to the team.”

please log in to view this image

Changing sides: Mauro Zarate in action for West Ham against QPR in October

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-bound-mauro-zarate-slams-west-4890384

8. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

You can get 5/4 on a Burnley win and 5/2 on them to win to nil.

9. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

Fair point. Took the article as it was without any real knowledge of who Rafa is etc.