1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PVA

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by concrete tony, Sep 25, 2016.

1. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

He is possible the worst full back ever. He is responsible for a huge percentage of the goals we concede. He is not a left back in a million years. We have to stop playing him there to survive in my opinion. He could make a decent winger and that's where I would play him and I'd play the young lad who made his debut last year against Watford as right back.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

We don't have a LB at the club who's anywhere near his standard. Simple as that really. He plays without competition, that's just the way it is. It will never do us any good operating like this, players need competition to get the best out of them. Again that position is a liability because of a lack of investment.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Concrete knicker twist.

Ffs he is rather crap, but the best we have sadly.

Get that grinder on ya solid kacks

4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Out of form but a very decent wing back when he plays well. Needs to be playing in a decent team though.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He's one of the best players we have but always an immediate target.

He does way, way more for the team than the vast majority.

6. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

He can't take a corner for Jack **** that's for sure.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

we could have bought Alonso but tight arsed Short would not

JammySAFC and Billy Death like this.
  8. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Take a look how he played against Leics and Arsenal recently and you may have a rethink.

9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

did he smoke his weed before or after those matches

10. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Are you actually PVA? I'be been watching him very closely and he is clueless when it comes to defending. He is also a coward who takes no responsibility.

11. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Sunderland boss David Moyes is yet to make a decision on whether he will fine Patrick van Aanholt after he was photographed apparently smoking a shisha pipe. The pictures in the national press dated back to the off-season but Moyes said he was “not impressed” prior to the weekend defeat to Crystal Palace and has spoken with the Dutchman. Shisha smoking, which is not illegal, is a way of smoking tobacco through a bowl and hose or tube. Moyes said it set a bad example to younger fans. When asked whether he would be fining the left-back, Moyes said: “I’ve not made a decision on that yet.” It has been a difficult week for the 26-year-old, who was withdrawn late from the matchday squad at Tottenham because of a heart scare. The timing of his late withdrawal from the side, after the team sheets had been submitted and warm-ups completed, sparked controversy.

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...-to-decide-whether-to-fine-defender-1-8146055

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I wouldn't fine him personally, a talking to which made my feelings plain would suffice for something minor like that. If it happened again then crack out the fine.

While I want Moyes to put the players in their place when needed I have a feeling that he'd be wise to be on the cautious side with disciplinary issues for now.

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He's also one of our biggest attacking threats, the most willing runner in the side and one of the few who is prepared to take a chance and shoot.

He takes no responsibility? Is a coward? Go on explain that, he deflected the **** in Saturday trying to dive in front of it for a block. He's one with pace, his crosses often cause mayhem.

Bollocks mate he's important to the side despite his failings.

14. Brian Storm

Agree, but I think we'll always see the lax side of his defensive positioning while he has no competition.

He needs keeping on his toes with a threat to his place, something he's never had here. I genuinely believe he can sort out his positional play but not if he's just cruising like he has been. He'll cost us many goals this season as much as I rate him.

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I fully agree he's got major shortcomings, but he's not had much help from in front and he remains one of the most forward thinking in the side.

We are too quick to slate, there's way worse than PVA, the whole defensive unit is all over the shop.

Brian Storm and The Norton Cat like this.
  16. Brian Storm

He's certainly not the source of our defencive frailties so far this season imo.

17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

2 words - Gareth Hall...

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not just your opinion. Most of our problems came from the right back position recently iirc. Particularly against Everton and Spurs. They got nothing on our left in either game

19. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

I always say his initials are so ironic as he never sticks to his left back position but I'm now a fan of his. Going forward he's probably one of the best attacking full backs in the league, defensively though he doesn't really bother with defending in all honesty.

Why no one thinks of playing him left wing I don't know but if we had a left winger happy to work up and down then his defending wouldn't be such an issue.

20. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

Sam had PVA playing well so it can be done.
    We can't play him as LW because we don't have any other LB's in our first team squad.
    I do think he would be canny on the LW though if we got another LB in.
    I actually think Colback was one of the best we've had at LB in the last decade or so (excluding loans of course as Rose and Alonso were the best two)
    PVA and one of these two would make a great left side.