1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Progress under LR

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Howdentiger2, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

your in for it now if lambo knows.
    I’m picturing the scene out of kes, when they are in the headmasters office. (Lambo’s the headmaster and Howdens the boy that was just bringing a message)

Lambo: what have we here….a little factory of negativity!
    Howden: (muttering softly) please sir I was only posting my opinion. (Tear in his eye)
    Lambo: same old faces, in my day people didn’t post negativity, we rubbed along fine. I ran this board with one opinion, it may have been boring but at least there was no disagrrements. I’ve let negativity in and now people like you and geo run a mock with these different thoughts. Orange (when sober) and Syd try to challenge these negative ideas,I don’t know! I just don’t know!!, I even caught that **** geo thinking he knew more than Rosie!
    Well no more…respect must be earnt and discipline must be restored……thrashing's…thrashing’s must be given to restore harmony and banish these flash opinions.
    Hold you hand out howden…
    whoosh whoosh
    You’ll get out of here with your hands ringing..but will it stop you? Now get back to class and send geo in

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Is that when you double up as the pe teacher :)

4. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

For those that haven’t seen kes and think I’m a lunatic

5. Tigerboy98

Tigerboy98 Well-Known Member

Yeah and that’s ridiculous too, shouldn’t get personal when people disagree, I saw the personal stuff toward you a few weeks back and called it out. It’s good we have different opinions otherwise this board would be pointless but just seems everyone gets personal as soon as there’s differing views instead of sticking to the actual football.

6. thetiger1966

thetiger1966 Well-Known Member

Back to LR, I can't remember a City team that is so weak in the air ? Can someone please confirm

1) The last time City scored a header from open play ? ie a cross coming in to the box & someone getting their head on the end of it like McTominay did for Man U yesterday ?

2) The last time City scored with a header direct from a set piece (ie corner, free kick) ?

We seem to have no strikers that can actually head a ball , the last one was Oscar (& even then City rarely put quality balls in the box for him)

Every week I see headed goals on MOTD & EFL Highlights, so why aren't City scoring from headers ?

Gone For A Walk and Wessie Exile like this.
  7. Wessie Exile

Wessie Exile Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for a while, more specifically relating to our centre halves. I know it isn't their primary job but for as long as I've been watching City we'd always had defenders who were a threat from corners, either scoring themselves or causing havoc to allow someone else to. Turner, Cort Delaney, Davies to name a few. If we get a set piece these days we might as well not bother and just let the opposition have it back. Its not really an LR issue either, we haven't been a threat at set pieces since Bruce tbh

Jackdaw, Evington and Gone For A Walk like this.
  8. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

It's not just strikers. It's throughout the team. Just one aspect of the unbalanced squad, lack of steel & presence, overload of similar lightweight technical players equations some of us have been banging on about. It's bizarre to me that's it's not been addressed during 3 windows now when we've brought in so many players.

Kalman likes this.
  9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I think we could be more physical but I don’t think we are weak.

Coyle is always putting himself about, Seri uses his low centre of gravity well for a more technical player, Delap was an aggressive player who is missed, Sharp wouldn’t shirk a challenge and despite having a glass toe - Connolly does get stuck in.

Even Jaden impressed me in the Millwall game when he put that foot in after coming back from injury.

I think the physical aspect isn’t our strong point, but we aren’t getting pushed around often either

askewshair likes this.
  10. TinpotTiger

TinpotTiger Well-Known Member

https://fbref.com/en/squads/bd8769d...ll_comps/Hull-City-Goal-Logs-All-Competitions

The only header I remember us scoring this season (and the only I can see from a quick look at the first stats I could find) was Connolly scoring a header at the end of the Coventry match -

highpeak tiger likes this.

11. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

Didn't delap score one as well, or just hammer the crossbar with one?

It is frustrating that we seem to win plenty of headers in our own box but then lose the ability completely in theirs when were up for corners.

12. TinpotTiger

TinpotTiger Well-Known Member

yeah I was just about to edit my post, the stats I posted also show that Delap scored a header, like you say.

Was against Boro, can't even remember it

13. thetiger1966

thetiger1966 Well-Known Member

Under LR City are now playing it "out from the back" (don't start me on that, all that passing it around going nowhere drives me flippin mad!!!) as do most Premier League teams, but these same PL teams all score every week from headers (Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal,Man U), so if City do get into the PL this is going to be a big issue as we will need every goal we can get to survive.

14. Baldrick's Cunning Plan

Baldrick's Cunning Plan Well-Known Member

LR has said players come here not because of the money, it's the system they play - they think it's absolutely fantastic, a no-brainer choice. How many other coaches can make make similar claims? Think of how many half price players they'll be able to pick up in summer. We should consider ourselves so fortunate having him as head coach and being able to watch so much entertaining, attacking football.

Deano's Volley and Howdentiger2 like this.
  15. Kalman

Kalman Guest

I didn’t say that to him because I disagreed about football. I said it because he’s a smarmy **** who has personal little digs all the time then cries when he gets some pushback.

16. Mckechnie Orange

Highlighting the nonsense you spouted about finishing 14th isn't a personal dig. It's something you wrote that was utterly unfounded and has proven to be the case.

17. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Headers and set pieces
    Delap scored a header vs Middleboro from a flicked on corner
    Jones scored with a shot vs Blackburn from a flicked on corner
    As far as I can see, that's it for the season

18. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Oh ****,don't tell me he's got Lambo involved!!

Strikes terror into Chinese Cinema goers...Lambo First Blood:emoticon-0148-yes:

19. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Corner flicked on at the near post (by Allahyar?), Liam was unmarked at the back post. They tried it a few times again in subsequent matches but seem to not bother with that move now.

My sense is that they don't focus much on corner routines (there is a stat about the tiny proportion of goals scored direct from corners that might explain that) but do put a lot of effort into winning the cleared balls and starting second attacks. Not that they are very effective either!

20. Mckechnie Orange

There is some crazy stat that it's statistically less likely to score direct from a corner than open play. Makes you wonder why more sides don't just play them short and continue play.

That said, certain sides have proved they can be a threat though.