1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v Swansea City Deepdale 28/8/2021

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Aug 26, 2021.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Would have looked like this when the Swans got promoted to teh top division under Toshack

LAST TIME AT DEEPDALE

LAST TIME OUT

OPPOSITION MANAGER

Managerial career
    Milton Keynes Dons[edit]
    On 3 November 2019, following the departure of manager Paul Tisdale, Martin was announced as the new permanent first-team manager of League One club Milton Keynes Dons – the club he had joined as a player earlier in the year.[43] Following his appointment, the club finished 19th in League One, with the season finishing prematurely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[44] In his first full season as manager, Martin led the club to 13th in the league.[45]

Martin, alongside assistant Luke Williams, installed a possession-based style of play at the club which received widespread plaudits.[46] On 2 March 2021, Martin's side scored after a 56-pass move, a new British record at the time.[47] At the culmination of the 2020–21 season, only Manchester City and Barcelona had a higher average possession percentage in Europe than Martin's MK Dons.[47][48] His team also had the most touches in the opposition box in League One.[49] Defender Zak Jules commented on Martin's style of play, stating: "The way we play, we almost demoralise teams. We keep the ball so much that when teams do get the chance to keep possession – they’ve got no legs and, within no time, we’ve got the ball back and they don’t see the ball again for a while."[46]

On 31 July 2021, MK Dons released a statement confirming that Championship club Swansea City had requested to speak to Martin about him becoming their new manager.[50] The approach was made less than 24 hours before MK Dons' first competitive match of the 2021–22 season, an EFL Cup game against Bournemouth.[50]

Swansea City
    On 1 August 2021, Martin was named head coach of Swansea City, signing a three-year contract.[51] He was appointed six days before the first game of the 2021–22 Championship season.[51] He was joined by his assistants Luke Williams, Matthew Gill, and Dean Thornton.[51] Swansea coach Alan Tate opined that Martin's "passing style" made him a good fit for the club.[52] In his first interview, Martin said, "I know the fanbase and what they expect in terms of the modern Swansea Way, that started under Roberto Martínez and continued under Brendan Rodgers and Michael Laudrup. We, as a coaching team, are very much aligned with that. It excites me."[53]

His first game in charge was a 2–1 away loss to Blackburn Rovers, which was followed by a 3–0 away win against Reading in the EFL Cup.[54][55] Martin's first home game was a 0–0 draw with Sheffield United at the Swansea.com Stadium.[56] On 20 August, Martin won his first league game as Swansea beat Bristol City 1–0.[57]

Managerial style
    "I played in teams who were dominant with the ball and loved it. I also played in teams who didn’t have much of the ball and hated it. My style is probably shaped by that and the teams I’ve enjoyed watching play football like Barcelona, Manchester City and Spain. I’ve tried to replicate that at the level I’m at and with the players I’ve had. If I didn’t do that, I probably wouldn’t have gone into coaching or management."

—Martin on his coaching philosophy, 2021.[58]

Martin began studying for his coaching badges at age 22, and studied for his UEFA Pro Licence at the Scottish FA in 2019.[59][60] His managerial style has been influenced by such managers as Chris Hughton, Daniel Farke, and Pep Guardiola.[47] Inspired by Guardiola's Barcelona and Manchester City teams, Martin prefers his teams to dominate ball possession.[47] Tactically, he prefers the 3–4–2–1 or 3–5–2 formations, with an emphasis on passing the ball and pressing the opposition.[47][61] If his teams suffer a bad result, Martin prefers to improve his game plan, rather than changing the style of play.[62]

After his MK Dons side scored a record-breaking 56-pass goal, Martin said, "People still react to that and say it’s boring, but everyone has a different opinion...the more we have the ball, the more we can control the game and take the fight out of opposition teams. It’s a 90-minute game plan to try and dominate the ball."[58]

OTHER GAMES

BARNSLEY V BIRMINGHAM
    CARDIFF V BRIZZLE CITY
    WAYNE ROONEY V NOTTS FOREST
    FULHAM V STOKE
    TERRIERS V READING
    HULL V BOURNEMOUTH
    LUTON V BLADES
    MILLWALL V PLASTICS
    POSH V BAGGIES
    HOOPS V COVENTRY

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Will be a tough match for NE due to NE's off-the-cuff style!

3. themaclad

PNE will look for a third successive victory this weekend when Swansea City come to Deepdale.

Frankie McAvoy’s men have sealed back-to-back wins against Peterborough United and Morecambe in the past week to kickstart their season, while Swansea arrive in Lancashire having picked up their first league win of the campaign last Friday night.

They got the better of Bristol City by a goal to nil in an entertaining affair at Ashton Gate following a tricky start to their campaign.

PNE Team News

This game will come too early for Tom Barkhuizen, who has made a phased return to training after being unwell with Covid, but he will be available for selection after the international break.

Alan Browne, who was isolating, will be back in contention this weekend, but Ched Evans and Liam Lindsay remain unavailable.

Joe Rodwell-Grant missed the Morecambe game through illness, not Covid related, and Frankie is hoping to have him back for Swansea. Frankie also confirmed Matt Olosunde, who has yet to make his competitive debut for the club due to injury, should be back in training in the next week.

The Opposition

The Swans are under new leadership this campaign, with Russell Martin, who was Norwich City captain when Frankie McAvoy and Alex Neil were at Carrow Road, in the dugout.

He’s trying to implement a completely different style of play compared to that of the last manager, Steve Cooper.

Ex-MK Dons boss Martin wants his team playing a possession-based style of play and he has admitted that the early period of the season could well be one of transition for his side as they adapt to the new ideology.

Key Stats

Summer signing Joel Piroe has made a great start to life in South Wales, scoring three goals in his four appearances for the Swans so far this season following his move from PSV.

He looks to be the man to take over from the club’s top scorer of the last two campaigns, Andre Ayew, who hit 35 goals in that period, before leaving for Qatari team Al Sadd SC.

Swansea once looked towards PNE’s Scott Sinclair as a main source of goals; he bagged 36 times in his 91 appearances during his time with the Swans, including three in the 2010/11 Championship Play-Off final.

Our Last Meeting

The Lilywhites last faced Swansea just four months ago in what was the second game of McAvoy’s interim reign.

After earning a late point against league leaders Norwich City the week prior, PNE followed that up with more stoppage time drama, this time to seal a win.

Ben Whiteman’s 20-yard effort rebounded kindly for Sinclair, who was thwarted by goalkeeper Freddie Woodman, but his save bounced off captain Matt Grimes and into the back of the net to earn a priceless win for North End.

Man In The Middle

Thomas Bramall will take charge of his third game at Championship level on Saturday as he takes the whistle for this fixture.

Incidentally, his first time refereeing in the second tier also came at Deepdale. That was in March when PNE were beaten 1-0 at home against Luton Town, the last match of Alex Neil’s reign.

Bramall has officiated five games so far this season, the most recent of which being Tuesday night’s Carabao Cup tie between Wigan Athletic and Bolton Wanderers, where eight yellow cards were shown.

MACS VIEW

Difficult game against a side who sre still in transitional with their new gaffer and loss of some players from last season.
    They seem to like to play the ball out at all times from the back which is great when it works. Two wins on the bounce a bit of confidence back with the players. Will miss this one so no match blog but there does seem to be a bit more positivity around the club compared to last week, pity we missed out on Ronaldo though

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. themaclad

Preston North End 3 Van Den Berg, Riis, Whiteman Swansea City 1 Piroe

Preston North End sealed a third successive win with a 3-1 victory at home to Swansea City.

It was the visitors who took the lead after 19 minutes, as Joel Piroe fired past Daniel Iversen, but the home side made a quick response, with Sepp van den Berg’s second goal in as many games levelling the scoring two minutes later.

Emil Riis put his side ahead before the break, firing home two minutes into added time, and Ben Whiteman then scored six minutes into the second half to put PNE two ahead.

Frankie McAvoy opted to make just one change from last weekend’s victory over Peterborough United, bringing in Riis after his midweek brace against Morecambe.

He was involved in a controversial incident just six minutes in, appearing to be tripped inside the area by defender Joel Latibeaudiere, but referee Thomas Bramall waved away PNE’s appeals.

At the other end, Iversen was beaten on 19 minutes, as the visitors’ top scorer Piroe slotted the ball past the Dane to put his side ahead after being found by Jamie Paterson.

North End responded almost instantly, as two minutes later they were back level, with Josh Earl’s cross finding Van den Berg, who did extremely well to shift the ball onto his right foot before firing across goal and into the far corner.

In a five-minute spell before half-time, PNE created a flurry of chances, with Riis being denied one-on-one by goalkeeper Steven Benda, before Sean Maguire fired wide after switching from right to left.

North End were in front before the break, however, as a cross from Daniel Johnson from the left fell to Riis, who thumped the ball past Benda to give PNE a half-time lead.

Early in the second 45, Riis was sent through on goal once more, but was clattered by Benda, who was shown a yellow card, and from the resulting free-kick, Whiteman expertly found the bottom corner to put his side two in front.

North End kept creating chances, with the likes of Patrick Bauer and Riis both having efforts off target, and the team comfortably saw the game out to take the three points.

PNE line-up: Iversen; Storey, Bauer, Hughes; van den Berg; Whiteman, Ledson (Rodwell-Grant, 90+3'), Johnson, Earl; Maguire (Potts, 87), Riis (Sinclair, 80).

Subs not used: Rudd, Cunningham, Harrop, Rafferty.

Swansea line-up: Benda; Latibeaudiere (Cooper, 11), Bennett (Lowe, 61), Manning; Laird, Fulton (Naughton, 61), Grimes, Bidwell; Cullen, Piroe, Paterson.

Subs not used: Hamer, Whittaker, Dhanda, Williams.

Referee: Mr T Bramall

Attendance: 10,180 (539 away)

Preston head coach Frankie McAvoy:

"I have said to the group, let's not get too low when we lose and not get too high when we win. I knew it would just be a matter of time before we started to pick up. I had every faith in the group.

"I am delighted today, I thought particularly our second-half performance was excellent. Our response from going a goal down was the type of response I know these boys are capable of.

"We tried to make sure we could get our press right. We know they will take chances, they will try to play from them back, they use the goalkeeper as well.

"You need to get it right because if you don't they can play through you, which they did a few times. I think it took about 20 minutes until we really got it going."

Swansea head coach Russell Martin:

"I am really disappointed. I didn't see it coming. It's a game too many for a lot of the guys I think - physically, mentally, a lot of tried bodies.

"Making a change so early in the game with Joel [Latibeaudiere] getting injured, Brandon [Cooper] was taken out because he needed a rest and then gets thrown back in bless him. Ryan Bennett has just come back off the back of Covid so we knew he couldn't complete 90 minutes. Kyle Naughton is on the bench for that reason - he's still not feeling 100%.

"I feel like we will never be weaker than that in terms of squad selection, the amount we have had to juggle.

"It's been a hectic four weeks with no time to work really on the training pitch. The only positive for me is that I don't think we will ever go into a game as weak as we did today, not just in terms of personnel but for all those reasons."

5. themaclad