1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v Cardiff City

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Many of us will remember "that game" against PNE, when we were dealt a 6-0 drubbing a few years back...but we move on...times are better, and look forward to a point or three! When I read that the opponents are without key players, we seem to struggle, so here's hoping they have a full squad, Tom Finney as well, and a good game ensues...2-1 city win!

<party>

(Courtesy of BBC Sport) Preston could be without midfield duo Ben Pearson and Daniel Johnson for the Championship visit of Cardiff City.

Both missed Saturday's draw versus Barnsley, with manager Alex Neil hoping to get Johnson back as he undergoes a late fitness test ahead of the game.

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock will consider making changes, despite his league leaders remaining unbeaten.

Aron Gunnarsson could be rested, whilst Lee Tomlin is in contention to make his first league start for a month.

upload_2017-9-11_16-19-42.gif
    Iceland international midfielder Aron Gunnarsson could be rested after a busy schedule with club and country

SAM's prediction
    Home win 35% Draw 28% Away win 37%
    SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts

• Preston have won six of their last nine home league games against Cardiff (D1 L2), winning 3-0 last season at Deepdale against the Bluebirds, who were then managed by Paul Trollope.
      • Neil Warnock has lost just one of his last 16 league games against Preston (W8 D7), when his Crystal Palace side went down 2-0 at Deepdale in August 2008.
      • Preston have picked up seven points in their first three home games this season, if they beat Cardiff it will be only the second time this century that the Lilywhites have registered double figures after four games (2009-10).
      • In fact, Preston have lost just one of their last 14 home league games (W8 D5), scoring in each of the last 17.
      • Cardiff have 16 points after their first six league games - their best start to a league campaign.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Quote from Alex Neil at PNE - we shall see eh?..........

“If we have the bulk of play they will have to defend, if we don’t and they impose their style on us then we are going to have to defend.

“It is as if we are talking about Cardiff as if they are Real Madrid.

“They are a decent side and have started the season well but I don’t think they are any great stakes in terms of being miles better than anyone else in the league.”

3. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Reasonable quote Sparkey...but I'm catching a whiff of fear pal! :emoticon-0103-cool:

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Got a feeling this game is tailor made for Tomlin - either to start or brought on later.

They've only let in 2 goals so far this season and may need to be broken down with a bit of a class rather than just pace.

5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Tomlin is not a like for like replacement for Gunnar. Bryson possibly?

NW will be keen not to break up Ralls & him though. PNE will present a feisty opposition so ideally Gunnar should play.

6. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Tis a bit late in the night for me to watch on a school night :( although I may try and get some shut eye beforehand. I think we can win this one and put any bogey team talk to bed.

7. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

I also remember the 6-0 Mark Kennedy's majestic own goal will long live in the memory, safe journey to those travelling forecast for a wet and windy night, swimming trunks and a kite will be required

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Wasn't even considering Tomlin for Gunnar - completely different players.

I thought Warnock might sacrifice one of his wide men (Hoilett for me) to allow Tomlin to slot in behind Zohore.

Incidentally, I think Bryson will start instead of Damour.

9. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

I'd give D'amour a whiff, replace with either Tomlin or Bryson. I'd be tempted to use Manga/Richards, but would probably stick with the same Back four.

10. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Cardiff: Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Damour, Ralls, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore.

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Preston curse striking again. 1 down.

12. ninian opinion

Never a free kick and to compound it the ball went under our wall which jumped.

The luminous green kit looks weird.

NW needs to make changes; perhaps in hindsight he should have from the start. Some players sound jaded.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  13. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Never get anything at Preston <wah>

14. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

15. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

16. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Initial review sounds like the Ethridge was finally tested a bit and came a bit unstuck. Might need Camp back!

17. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

And the M6 is shut southbound may have been an iffy free kick but the other two quality. Do a match thing on our site tomorrow and then look forward to our traditional defeat at your gaff just after Christmas

18. ninian opinion

Manner of defeat and limp performances in the face of robust opposition a real concern.

Didn't realise PNE only conceded 2 goals this season.

Well beaten but disappointing to read City were outfought man for man. Alex Neil definitely got one over Warnock.

The ref apparently was hopeless but that's no excuse.

The undefeated monkey is off our back; need to bounce back on Saturday.

What's happened to Zahore? He hasn't had a trademark run in on goal for ages; opposition managers doing their homework?

19. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Gone behind in last four games...a worry! :emoticon-0103-cool:

20. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

Preston really are the bogey side of the century for us, as soon as the first one went in i turned the wireless off.
    Never mind we will be playing tippy tappy Wednesday on saturday and i reckon we will give them a good thrashing.