1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Preston North End v AFC Bournemouth Deepdale 5/3/2022

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Mar 4, 2022.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

LAST TIME OUT

FORM GUIDE

PNE 9 BOUREMOUTH 16

Returning hero of sorts

BEN PEARSON

Benjamin David Pearson (born 4 January 1995) is an English professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Championship club AFC Bournemouth.

Born in Oldham, he joined Manchester United at the age of 9 in July 2004 and worked his way up through the academy. He joined Barnsley on a one-month loan in January 2015, which was extended to a season-long loan. He then rejoined Barnsley on a six-month loan in July 2015, before signing for Preston North End in January 2016.

He has also represented England at youth international level, playing for the under-16s, under-17s, under-18s, under-19s and under-20s.

PNE Team News

Liam Lindsay will be unavailable for selection due to suspension after his sending off in last weekend's game against Coventry City.

Patrick Bauer, who missed the trip to Coventry through injury, is likely to miss out again, whereas Sean Maguire has now returned to training, but this game could come too soon for the Irishman.

Having played 60 minutes in the Central League on Tuesday, Josh Murphy is in contention again after more than four months out. Greg Cunningham and Tom Barkhuizen remain sidelined.

The Opposition

With 15 games left of their season, AFC Bournemouth arrive at Deepdale looking to continue their promotion push to the Premier League.

Heading into the weekend’s round of fixtures, Scott Parker’s men have a two-point buffer on Huddersfield Town, but with four games in hand over the Terriers, they are certainly in a favourable position.

The Cherries appear to have recovered from a turbulent run of form between November and January, helped by their seven January additions, which included Todd Cantwell and Siriki Dembélé.

Key Stats

PNE have enjoyed their recent form against AFC Bournemouth, having gone unbeaten in the last seven meetings with the last defeat against them coming in May 2012.

AFC Bournemouth have actually done better on their travels so far this season than at home, having picked up 31 points on the road, compared to 30 at Vitality Stadium.

The Cherries boast the division’s best defensive record, conceding just 27 goals in the Championship, however they have played fewer games than any team in the league.

Our Last Meeting

PNE ended AFC Bournemouth’s unbeaten start to the Championship season when they defeated the Cherries in early November 2021.

Goals from midfielders Ben Whiteman and Ali McCann either side of Philip Billing’s equaliser earned North End the impressive victory against the table toppers at the time.

Man In The Middle

Referee for this weekend’s fixture is Matt Donohue, taking charge of his second PNE game of the season.

Donohue was the main official for North End’s goalless draw against Birmingham City, and he has officiated 26 games in total this season, distributing 104 yellow cards and seven reds.

He will be assisted by Philip Dermott and James Wilson, while Darren Bond will be on fourth official duty.

2. themaclad

Preston North End 2 Archer Riis AFC Bournemouth 1 Lowe

PNE line-up: Iversen; van den Berg, Diaby, Hughes; Potts (Murphy, 75), Whiteman, Browne, Johnson, Earl (McCann, 63); Evans (Riis, 75), Archer. Subs not used: Ripley, Rafferty, Huntington, Sinclair.

AFC Bournemouth line-up: Travers; Smith (Laird, 67), Phillips, Kelly, Zemura; Cook, Cantwell (Pearson, 80), Billing; Lowe, Solanke, Anthony (Christie, 68). Subs not used: Woodman, Mepham, Marcondes, Dembele.

Attendance: 12,173.

Referee: Mr M Donohue.

Though we deserved to win this in the end, as with last week we were slow to get going which added with some defensive uncertainty could have cost us as the Cherries dominated with the ball in the first 15 minutes.
    Slowly but surely we begn to get into the game Potts down the right flank began to get in good positions, we broke at pace, bot Archer and Evans had good chances, the Welshman fired at the keeper whilst Archer put over from close range under pressure from Billing. Mr Donohue ensured that the game flow by failing to blow for any fouls whatsoeve which did lead to a slight bit of frustration from both sets of fans as the game wore on.
    Diaby made his first full start like his fellow defenders started nervously but could easily become a crowd favourite has the making of another Claude Davis. Did a really good job on making the threat of Solanke. Billing as ever was a danger, gets into good positions although tends to fall over easily for a man his size.
    Half time level, although only took four minutes for Bournemouth to take the lead, Zemura's cross looked to be left for each other by Hughes and Iversen however apparantly Solanke got a slight touch on it, Lowe had the simple task of putting the ball in the net.
    We were not behind for long, ball won in midfied they thought it was a fould but no whistle came Johnson down the right ball into Archer switched the ball onto his left foot in off the post.
    End to end game with both sides having possession but not able to get the breakthrough. Earl replaced by McCann who gave a decent cameo performance great tackle on Christie at the edge of the box, into the late stages of the game and three pivotal pieces of actions, Browne's brilliant last ditch tackle on Christie, from the resulting corner Nat Phillips thought he had nodded the winner, as did most of the ground, however the have the giant that is Iversen, one handed save as the ball is basically in the net, not only that he flicks it around the post for a corner.
    From that corner we are on the break appantly they thought there was a foul in midfiield not given Browne to Riis, he arrows it into the bottom corner. Cue bedlam on the touch line, Mr Donohue has to wander across and gives red cards to Parker and Smith who had already been substituted. We could have made it three but Riis couldn't get the shot away but we had some pressure to survive and that we did. We hit 50 points mark not far from the play off zone you never know.

Preston North End manager Ryan Lowe told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"We fought to try and get a home win which we haven't had for a while. It feels nice and I said to the group we've probably got five home games out of our next 10.

"I want the lads to start believing, to make this place a fortress.

"Away from home we've been great, but the more home wins you can get, the better you'll be."

Bournemouth boss Scott Parker told BBC Radio Solent:

"I just have not got a clue for the life of me why [a foul was not given.] Phillip Billing has just been assaulted in the middle of the park.

"There are some things that are unforgivable really and I just feel that that decision was a stonewall foul. The inconsistency is frustrating and obviously my emotions probably got the better of me at that point.

"I'm not sure why he sent me off. I did not use any foul or abusive language to him. I was animated, of course I was. But I just asked him why he hadn't given a foul.

"I'm not sure why Adam Smith was sent off."

3. themaclad

4. themaclad

5. themaclad