1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premiership club Swansea City make first signing!

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Jun 1, 2011.

1. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Bodde signs for Premier League club

Swansea City have completed their first deal as a Premier League club with Ferrie Bodde signing a new one-year extension to his contract. The Dutch midfielder put pen to paper today at the Liberty Stadium as the club prepares for life in the top flight next season. Bodde, who turned 29 last month, has not played for the Swans since February last year after suffering a recurrence of the knee injury that has halted his progress. But he has been involved in full training sessions for the past seven weeks. While the whole squad returns for pre-season training on July 11, Bodde will return from a ten-day break and start early on his conditioning with his personal fitness expert Rob Meppelink. The former Den Haag star, who has made 54 league appearances since joining four years ago, admits he hopes to repay the club for the support and faith they have shown through his injury nightmare.

please log in to view this image

"I am very happy to sign a new contract," he said. "While the club has had a lot of success on the pitch, it has been a very difficult and frustrating time for me because of my knee problems. "But everyone at Swansea has supported me and the club has backed me during my injury and by offering me a new deal. I am very grateful for that, and now I want to help the club on the pitch. "In a way I didn't want the season to end because I have been building myself up in training, but I'll come back from Holland in 10 days and get back into training with Rob. "I can't wait for next season because the Premier League is the best in the world." Bodde will be reunited with a few familiar faces in the top flight next season. He counts Manchester City star and World Cup runner-up Nigel de Jong as a former team-mate, having played in the Dutch age groups with him. And Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt, Arsenal striker Robin van Persie and Fulham's Belgian international Moussa Dembele are all players he came up against while playing in the Eredivisie with Den Haag. His two knee operations have made Bodde even more determined to succeed at Swansea, and he insists he is raring to play in the Premier League under boss Brendan Rodgers. "The last week has been an amazing experience for everyone at the club," he added. "The open-top bus parade was brilliant for the players, staff and supporters. "Now I can switch off for a few days and then I will be thinking of the Premier League.

"It seems a long time since I last played for Swansea, but I can't wait to pull on the shirt again. "The Premier League is where this club deserves to be. We have the stadium, manager, staff, players and supporters to stay there. "I've been desperate to play under the gaffer because I can see how everyone is enjoying working with him and how the squad is improving every day. "But it completes a great journey for the club. Even I can't believe how quickly time has gone since I watched my first Swansea game (a 6-3 defeat to Blackpool in 2007). "This isn't the end of the journey though. The Premier League is a major opportunity for us. "We will visit some great stadiums and play against some of the best teams in the world. We have 38 cup finals ahead." - swansea City FC

2. BrickTamland

BrickTamland New Member

The week gets better and better!! Be great to see Bodde back cracking in 30 yarders

3. Doey

Doey Member

Great news, and i've seen him personally at training and he seems to be striking the ball and moving with no sign of injury. Seems like it doesn't even cross his mind when going in for a tackle or anything which is great thing, that mental barrier must be the hardest of all to break!

4. DragonPhilljack

Me too Doey, been up to have a nose, the evil genius is looking good if you ask me!...................

5. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

He is like a new signing to us. if he can get back performing as he was, he is definitely premiership quality.

6. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Fantastic news after the disappointment of missing out on young Fabio.

Welcome back, Ferrie. Play to your full potential and the Premiership is going to see one hell of a player.

7. Ctrl Freak

Ctrl Freak Member

Am I the only person that's a bit underwhelmed by this?

Obviously it's good to have a dedicated player on board, but we need cohesion if we are going to survive in the PL.

I doubt Buck will start him for many games even if he is fully fit.

Mark my words, he'll be a squad player next season. I've seen it happen too many times. Managers want to know that you can play week-in-week-out.

8. JRODJACK

JRODJACK Member

A fit Bodde should start every game, it'll all depend how he copes in pre season.

9. JamieT567

JamieT567 Member

Great news, Hope he doesn't get injured again because he is a great player, He would fit in perfectly in the midfield alongside Sinclair, Dobbie and Dyer!

10. DragonPhilljack

"I doubt Buck will start him for many games even if he is fully fit." - ctrl Freak

Strange statement, think you can keep a fully fit Bodde on the bench?? If he's fully fit for next season, he'll play that you can be sure of!..........

11. Millpond Swan

Millpond Swan Member

I,m with you i just can't see Bodde being the same player he was and i would also expect him to be more on the bench if that.

12. Doey

Doey Member

To anyone that feels they may be underwhelmed and thinks a fit Bodde will be sat on the bench... Here is a quick video *uploaded* by DPJ himself that may help you change your mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytphIGzc0W0

13. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

A sidenote, I love the Welsh Dragon Premier League logo :D

14. JRODJACK

JRODJACK Member

It was created by Blaze from PlanetSwans

15. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

think its a bad move, too many knee injuries, will be always looking after the knee and opposition will target it

16. premier-jack

premier-jack Member

fantastic news, couldnt be happier about it

17. swainseye

swainseye Member

If he thinks he`s ready and, more importantly, the club thinks he`s ready, then who are we to say otherwise. Only time will tell, be good to see him back again though, especially if he starts banging them in.

18. bigkidderz

bigkidderz Well-Known Member

It's a one year contract. You got to give him a chance, the guy was pure class when he was fit and Bodde, Pratley and Britton is probably the best midfield we've had in recent times. Britton (holding back, breaking up play and keeping us ticking), Bodde (getting the big tackles, spraying the ball everywhere and surging midfield runs), and Pratley (box to box, pulling the opposition midfield all over the place and goalscoring antics).

However, Allen has really developed in his absence and Dobbie has proven to be a better outlet than Pratley. But I am 100% sure that a midfield of either Bodde Allen Dobbie, Bodde Britton Dobbie, Bodde Allen Pratley, or even Bodde Britton Pratley again would be an upgrade to what we currently have. Apparently he is looking relentless in training, he's striking the ball as hard as ever and flying into tackles. Give him a preseason to warm himself up to match fitness (something he didn't have in either of his previous comebacks), and I reckon he's going to be influential in the PL next season in a way that Charlie Adam was for Blackpool.

19. Swanscool

Swanscool New Member

:emoticon-0103-cool:Nice one he is a class player:emoticon-0103-cool:

20. Ctrl Freak

Ctrl Freak Member

I've just been watching football for too long to harbour any ideas of an injury prone player having a big impact. It'll cause disruption, having him play for a few months, then have a knock, then play again, then have another knock.

They always end up being squad players, unless they are Ledley King (Out of this world when he's fit), or like Michael Owen, are the best player in the side (Newcastle).

All the best to the guy though, he's been awesome for us, but I think this is a step too far for someone like him.