1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre season finale v AC Milan

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Aug 3, 2019.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Tonight's team(s) - resumably there will be the usual eleven changes at half time, if not, we'll have a clearer idea of Ole's preferred starting eleven.

adftkw4t.png

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Pereira will be the undoing of Ole. He’s absolute dogshit. No need to be giving the lad any game time at all.

3. glazerfodder

Quick half time catch-up . 1 - 1 at the interval (Rashford) - their goal was gifted to them by a mistake by Matic who has been dreadful throughout pre-season, he just doesn't fit into this new system at all. We don't seem to be any worse off without Pogba, not that this game would have suited him anyway with AC Milan congesting the midfield. One last point - I'm not at all convinced with our playing out from the back. We looked reasonably OK against lesser opposition but we just aren't technically good enough against better teams. We are losing the ball in the middle of the pitch (and a few occasions in our own third ) and we're inviting pressing from the opposition. One of De gea's strengths was his distribution and we're not using it.We won't last long in the PL if we keep gifting possession like this.

Obi Wan Bissaka has been immense (again), Shaw and Matic have been lethargic - Bruno Fernandes is sorely needed in this team. Adios.

4. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

UTD win on penalties

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Rashford aside, I Wasn’t overly impressed by anybody today until Gomez and Greenwood got on the pitch, then everybody seemed to switch on.

If Matic and Periera start next Sunday I’ll probably not even bother walking up the steps to watch the game.

6. glazerfodder

Greenwood, Gomes and Chong have to feature this season. Lingard is bloody useless and for his age he is being made to look very pedestrian. Martial still has to shake of his attitude and start playing for the team but I would seriously have Chong ready to take martial's place and Gomes in place of Lingard. Apart from that, we're good to go.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Didn't see the game but this was a rather pleasing bit of commentary on the sky live thread

84: All aboard the showboat! Angel Gomes gives the fans in Cardiff a glimpse of his sensational talent with a succession of nutmegs and stud-rolls in the area which leave Milan players dumbfounded.

We need players that can take the piss and cause the opposition nightmares.

glazerfodder likes this.
  8. Stan

Stan Stalker

Lingard’s never been up to much but he works hard and does what the coach tells him to do. Bit of a Park but with less ability.

9. glazerfodder

I keep going on about them, but Chong and Gomes have been the stand-out players throughout pre-season. Chong is completely unplayable, he's fast, wiry and good with the ball at his feet and has been a constant threat coming in from the left. Gomes is an amazing talent and I don't buy into the argument that he's too short - that seems to be the very thing that makes his game what it is. He has such a low centre of gravity he can turn on a full-stop and his close ball control has been troubling defences in every game he has played. No offence to him, but he's like a rat running along the 18 yard box - defenders are scared to touch him, even if they can find him. These two definitely have to play - it's been their energy and speed that has transformed our attacking in the final third. Take them out of the equation and were still stuck with the same lack of movement as last season. James has definitely helped but he seems to prefer playing down the left and that would limit opportunities for Chong.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Got to agree on the Pereira and Matic assessment, both were dire yesterday.

Feed was better then both, as was McTominey. Hopefully the midfield will be one of those with Pogba.

I think they wasted James's best asset, which is pace. I expected some more agricultural, knock behind the defence for him to chase, football but it never came.

Gomes was classy, as was Greenwood. Both were an improvement on Rashford and Martial. Although those two clearly have the potential to be very good if they can click together.

Wan Bissaka looked assured, a definite positive there.

Ultimately though, was pre season game played at pre season tempo.

Good day out though!