1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Powell joins Derby County

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, May 28, 2016.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Good riddance to old rubbish.

If nothing else, it puts an end to the endless yearning of the "Wally Wing" of our support who want "Sir Chris" back. Personally I think he was well and truly found out at Championship level both with us and Huddersfield, and despite tarting himself in the media for the last 6 months the offers for another go at management didn't seem to flood in. He is now in the same bracket as Ian Holloway, Iain Dowie and John Gregory.

I will never forget the comments on Cardigan Life after the 101 points in League One season from the deluded, permanently moist or mentally insane that "Sir Chris" would go on to manage Spurs or Arsenal <laugh><laugh>. He wouldn't even get a job managing Arsenal Ladies.

I assume he got the Derby gig to play good cop to Perason's bad cop. Where does this leave hapless Alex Dyer? Unemployed. Good chance for him to stand on his own two feet.

People tend to look back on the Powell era with rose tinted specs because what has happened since has been so sh1te, but lets never forget what the football was like under Powell in the Championship.

The Kish likes this.
  2. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

rose tinted specs?? so you'll remember how under funded he was? how he had to beg and plead just to resign cedric evina? cedric evina... let that sink in. the best players he was allowed to sign once up, was cedric evina and lawrie wilson. and then we finished 9th. 2-3m investment on that and we'd have been top 6 easy.

Beware of the virus and Franco5 like this.
  3. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

Are you Reams in disguise? Why does everyone have to love him or fiercely hate him? It's insane.
    People put too much thought into tactics and managers anyway. Powell was good at man management and did ok in the transfer market. I liked him and wish him well, but I don't understand why he has been revised as a complete moron by some, he wasn't.

4. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

Medical breakthrough alert. Nick announced as first survivor of new technique - Larynx to rectum transplant!

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Reams rationale for hating CP is the pathetic performances against Dagenham and Sheff U. I would be pretty annoyed if the only 2 games I had been to this millennium were those. Don't forget that's probably about 2 months of JSA saved up to witness that dross.

The morbidly obese reprobate has also responded to a Preston fan enquiring about Makienok (allegedly they are linked with), his response:

He is about as much use as what Don Corleone is to a football forum.

I genuinely spat my muesli out upon reading that! What does it even mean? To be fair it's a bank holiday weekend so he is bound to have imbibed gallons of super strength lager.

6. User deleted as requested

Nope, not a moron, a thoroughly nice guy who certain people latched onto for reasons relating to middle class angst and guilt @Scratchingvalleycat . A bit like a couple of people I work with who earn six figure salaries, and help out at their local food bank once a fortnight.

7. User deleted as requested

Just had a peak at Into the Asylum, its become the Jeremy Kyle Show of football forums.

8. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

You don't have to have be middle class or have angst or guilt to recognise the quality of a manager who succeeded in getting us out of league 1 and to 9th in the championship on a very small budget.

I would love to know what your backside is talking about with respect to any of those three allegations you make above. Possibly it is because you believe that an education makes you middle class and that I have concern about how poorly downtrodden those of you who work in the Westminster village are - (NOT).
    Your attempt to target anybody who thinks differently to you about the ability of Chris Powell is an indication only of your true beliefs and reasoning.

Like many others before me I have recently limited my appearances on here because of one individual. Like them I am closing my account and departing

9. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Oh dear bit lively this thread the diversity of opinions is what appeals to me as for Chris Powell im a fan that league 1 season was one of the best in my decades of support for charlton.
    Maybe he wasnt the greatest ever and his football wasnt barcelona I dont care he gave us hope belief and one of us

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

He's never been the problem. An honest, hard working individual who brought some success to the club.

Those who think it was an easy achievement may well be in for a shock next season. Also, look how many of those players in our 3 years in league one ended up in the prem - you'll be surprised <ok>

11. User deleted as requested

Never doubted CP's credentials in League One - it was in the Championship that he was repeatedly found out.

Remember some of his substitutions & tactics - Bradley Pritchard on the wing away at QPR ...<doh>

12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Yeah - substitutions were definitely his Achilles heel.

13. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

We finished a win short of the play offs with a league one team in first season back 2nd season not so good but have no doubt we would of stayed up that season

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Riga had 4 games in hand I think. To make up 5 points.

Only Karel Fraeye would have ****ed that up

15. User deleted as requested

Chris Powell quoted this week as saying he doesn't think his story at Charlton is necessarily at an end, and that he doesn't rule out a comeback.

<doh>

16. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Won't his new job on the spot-the-dive panel keep him busy?
    With that sort of quote you have to see the context in which he said it, what questions he was asked, before reading anything into it, but it does contain a hint that he can foresee the end of Roland's Regime.

17. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Would take him back in a heart beat right now. Had to bite at this one I guess.

18. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Love to see him back

19. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

OK if he lets the players do the tunnel jumps.

20. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Whoever buys the Club from Duchatelet might think that Chris Powell would be a good appointment because of his popularity - as in 2011.
    However, appointing him for that reason (rather than considering him the best man for the job out of all available candidates) would be a mistake in my view.
    Owners should do things - especially very important things like appointing a manager - for the right reasons, not expedient ones.

I like Chris Powell, and I would be happy to see him return.
    But if I knew he had got the job ahead of another man whose record clearly indicated he was a better manager than Powell, then I would not be very happy about that.
    Sentiment, gratitude and loyalty all have their place in the relationship between fans and Club, but those emotions should not sway minds from the best rational decision, or be exploited to mollify or mislead supporters.