1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Possible Candidates to Replace LJ.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 17, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

So let us think the unthinkable, let us imagine the impossible, Steve Lansdown decides enough is enough, Lee Johnson is sacked, with honour but his time is up and he has gone, some people say if LJ is got rid of who would or could we replace him with, as if there is no one out there worthy to be his replacement, I am not advocating LJ to go in any way, I am just saying we are not hamstrung, there is planty of choice out there, just to fire up your thinking, don't forget LJ has won nothing, Alan Dick's top man, GJ,Cotts and John Ward all won promotion, other previous have won a variety of Mickey Mouse cups, LJ so far nothing.

I have been thinking about this, I know, :emoticon-0105-wink: I am not worthy but I did anyway and here is a list of possibilities ~

Young and Experienced ~
    Paul Hurst - Shrewsbury
    Kevin Nolan - Notts County
    Paul Tisdale - Exeter City
    Paul Cook - Wigan
    Derek Adams - Plymouth

Young, C0aching, No Management but class background ~
    Steven Gerrard - Liverpool & England player, Coach for Liverpool youngsters
    Frank Lampard - Chelsea & England player
    Micheal Carrick - Man Utd & England player - Man Utd coach pending.

Old School ~
    Mike McCarthy
    Alan Pardew
    Nigel Pearson

Extreme Outsider ~
    Joey Barton - Intelligent, Outrageous and Articulate.

From Another Planet ~
    Darrell Clarke - "gas" (Dopey)

Perhaps you could name some others, who do you think ? - No poll just your thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Nigel Pearson -Neil Warnock will give it a go in the prem with Cardiff.

Sorry but LJ has had a extremely poor 2018 infact his record is embarrassing considering where city sat in 2nd spot.

3. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Absolutely zero chance that LJ will be sacked. 2018 has been terrible but we are a much better unit than last year and he's earned another shot next year. So long as he constantly improves, he deserves to be here.

4. Red Robin

But has he improved us,personally I think he has wasted money,poor loan signings and to go from second to where we sit is extremely poor.
    For me SL has to invest in a proper manager who can take the club forwards.
    SL has given us a fantastic stadium,he now needs to put a manager and team into it to take it to the next level.
    For me LJ was a gamble which has clearly been shown this season.

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

None from that list has given me anything to get excited about if I'm honest....can't see the likes of Gerrard or Lamps being interested.
    As for Pearson, what the hell has he done worthy? RR wanted Pardew last year...mmm didn't go well at WBA.
    LJ hasn't won us anything apart from championship status, which Cotts would have failed to do, like he would have also have failed at Birmingham....(Monk showing a better account).
    It's a well thought out list Wiz with some possible future successes, but shows me, there really isn't much out there....
    In IMO I would prefer some up and coming manager from abroad, the likes of Germany, Spain or Italy, someone willing to buy into the style of football we have witnessed and enjoyed, even if it was for a short time!!

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I vote RR for manager, he seems to know everything.

**** 2018 but the league don’t lie after 46 games we will be better than we were last season. Huddlesfield were nearly relegated 15/16 season to promoted 16/17. Brighton treaded water for a few years slowly accumulating the correct players and in the Prem.
    I didn’t want LJ and still worry about him, but if he does crack the puzzle for his losing spells then we could get the prize with him.
    Then be warned once in the Prem playing 3pm Saturday afternoon will be a rarity. And that league is two or three mini leagues.

AshtonRed and BCFCRob like this.
  7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

There's no one in that list I'd want. Nigel Pearson, as much as he clearly had a good setup at Leicester, has a screw loose and will not be a massively successful manager because of it imo. Warnock would undoubtedly get us out of this division but at what cost? He isn't a long-term solution.

I wouldn't want him here, but I think of that list, Clarke could well be one of the more successful ones in the future. Although it's massively dependent on him making the right move when picking his next club.

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

we get 9 points beat villa then beat FULHAM.
    Lee gets the keys to Bristol, SL juggles the equity and puts up £70m to buy a couple of players
    joe hart offers to be our keeper for half his wages
    Jose invites Lee to OT and told to bring a bottle of wine
    all the potholes around Bristol get filled in. lol
    :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:
    RR emigrates to panama...............

Reliant Robin TC2 and BCFCRob like this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I''m not challenging any thinking, as said I'm not advocating any action against LJ, in actual fact I am rather muted about where we are, good or bad, from a performance level we have had a good season, cup games, Premier teams beaten, games against Man City and Man Utd but our quality of play and results since December has been obviously poor.

I am not going to waste space blaming LJ, selections, team tactics, players performances, transfer business, injuries, fitness, team spirit, communcation breakdowns, man management, long ball, tippy tappy, high up, deep, you can mix all of these ingredients together and come out with many variety of mixtures but there is no doubt, for some reason we are failing to reach the required, higher grade level to reach the pinnacle of success.

When we employed LJ in reality he came under the category, ' Young and Limited Experience', there are people on my list as good as he was and have achieved or look like achieving success this season with a lot less resources, the players under 'Class Background' have an instant advantage over LJ because his background is from a lower starting point, they have had success on a playing level, worked with and played against the world's best, the other categories are just thrown in for balance, LJ has never won anything of substance as a player or manager, I am saying this as a statement of fact, not a criticism of him.

Personally, despite the downturn in our fortunes I want LJ to stay next season and hopefully finish the job and bring the success we all seek, this is just an excercise of 'What if', 'Who can' and trying to prove LJ is not the 'End of'' or 'Be all' of Bristol City FC there are quality, other alternatives.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    manxrobin, Supcon72 and Red Robin like this.
  10. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

We have the "Young and Experienced" already in LJ, so no reason to assume any on this list would/could do any better in the immediate future (which is all some on here would give a new manager).

As for the old - there's a reason they are currently unemployed and regularly dismissed from their previous roles - they're fu**ing useless.

That leaves the untried ex top players, again history shows not many make it, and even fewer if they are not at a top club with an enormous budget.
    Gerrad, Lampard and Co may have great contacts , but I would question if they have any comprehension of what life is like at a football club that doesn't have the resources and fan base that they are used to.

Red Robin - will you shut the F**k up about Pearson and Warnock.............

11. Red Robin

Gert back to watching the Kangaroos :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

We’ve done it before. We replace a mid-table manager when comfortable, with a succession of disasters culminating in a drop to League 1.
    KM - cheap option
    SOD - experienced, so it doesn’t always work
    Delboy - experienced, but in Scotland. Out of his depth
    Cotts - experienced and got us out of league 1 but could take us no further. We may need to call on his services again if we change LJ however......!
    Pembo - apparently didn’t want the job(?)

Nah - let’s keep LJ, but sack him if we look like we will drop to L1.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    AshtonRed and wizered like this.
  13. oneforthebristolcity

RR was jumping over fences when we appointed SOD......that worked well didn't it? RR will come back with budget he had etc.....but where is he now? Not that good is he?
    Pearson....I don't see clubs queuing up for his services either.....should we listen to RR.........................................nah your alright!! :emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink:

14. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

For me, that's it to a tee!!!

Don't know how long you've been in Oz Supcon, but it's nice to see that the old south Bristol way of asking someone to be quiet hasn't been nullified by copious amounts of sunshine, lager and barbies!!! <laugh><laugh>

Supcon72 likes this.
  15. Red Robin

He working at

Nigel Pearson is named the new head coach of Belgian second-tier side OH Leuven, who have the same owners as Leicester City.

So there obviously very happy with him the owners of Leicester City<doh>

16. Red Robin

Christ Sod was told to cut cut cut-hung out to dry-anybody no why Coppell ran to the hills <yikes><yikes><yikes>

17. oneforthebristolcity

Massive move for him then Belgian 2nd tier!! Bath City could compete in that!! <laugh>

RedorDead likes this.
  18. oneforthebristolcity

And he is where now, doing so well?

19. Red Robin

He has been strongly linked with jobs,would love a respected manager here who would command respect, Warnock would not let us drop like we have, another manager than commands respect.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member