1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poor managers

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

cant help but wonder this morning what might have been had we employed a quality coach or manager years ago. Many here and elsewhere questioned the cheap options of hocks heck’s tc’s, the list is endless. At last we have a world class coach, and we’ll done to rad and orta for getting him, cheap at the 3m a year, and we are already unrecognisable. Hopefully it’s a lesson for the future whenever it’s time for Bielsa to move in, that’s the quality required at Leeds. Hope that’s a long time away

Irishshako and ristac like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Good shout as I for one demanded people like Bruce, Macarthy etc and I even demanded Neil Warnock and when we got him I was over the moon. Would love to know why he treated the fans so badly, was it because he knew the best players were being sold and he stood no chance, or was he giving himself a big cigar and doing nothing. When he swapped Becchio for that lump of wood I was spitting feathers. he only turned up 2 or 3 days per week. But you cannot deny Warnock's pedigree as he does it again with Cardiff.

My big worry this season is that a couple of Prem teams will try and poach Bielsa because if he can make Leeds with no budget into one of the strongest teams in the league, what could he do with Southamptons buying power ...

southernwhite and ristac like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Noticed a clip today where someone said what’s a PL manager doing in the Championship, I’m hoping this is about the challenge for Bielsa more than anything

southernwhite likes this.
  4. Eireleeds1

The hope is he gets us into the PL through the autos this season. He’s plenty good enough to steer us in the pl too. Style of
    Football would be well suited there. We should then have ample finances to hold onto him. All in an ideal world of course

southernwhite likes this.
  5. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

It certainly show what a Wally Cellino was with his watermelon approach. False economy clearly.

On Warnock he has demonstrated he can do it (but let’s be clear, his teams don’t play anything like as attractively as this). My view is Bates (I think it was) would only pay him for one year so everything was too short term, he needed a second year.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I totally agree with others, we need to keep our feet on the ground, I totally see where other teams are coming from when they say "here we go, Leeds win 2 games and their supporters think they've won the league" but for me, after Saturday it's different this time. Against Stoke I thought great first half I bet we are poor second, never mind we have some great subs. Second half continued and I was fearful we would make a substitution.

Saturday afternoon arrives and I fear and question was last week a fluke? It clearly wasn't. Last season we rarely if ever put in two identical halfs (unless poor) and this season back to back games against quality opposition. Here we have a coach who gets the players picking up litter to ground them and make them realise certain issues, he distracts all the attention away from the players with his slightly eccentric approach, he isn't afraid to leave players out the team, he instills a sense of belief in everyone and the football has been amazing to watch.

Somewhere along the line a red card or injury might change a game, a player or two might put in a bad game or we might get completly outplayed but I am already feeling it won't matter, we will bounce back. Opposing fans are already sitting up and taking notice, our performances haven't gone unnoticed and I gaurantee every other team will be looking at the fixture list and thinking I don't fancy facing Leeds at the moment.

There might be a couple of teams capable of stifling and spoiling our style but there won't be many who have the players or skill to stop what I am seeing even if they wanted to

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

Wonder how we will do v Brentford, I think they play a bit like us

8. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Moving forward through the season, I have 2 main worries, neither of which we've faced yet (but undoubtedly will):

1. Playing a long ball team. If we're in attack mode (i.e. 95% of the time), all it takes is a hump up the park, and we're in trouble.
    2. Playing a team of cloggers, e.g. Millwall. I can see Alioski drift out & Saiz petulantly losing his composure & concentration, then Berra & Phillips getting reds.

I'm not suggesting either would lose us the game, but it would deffo hurt us, and more importantly, could show the way to other teams if in any way successful. Wonder how Bielsa would cope with this. Admirably, I'm guessing. :)

southernwhite and ristac like this.
  9. 2020VisionofLeeds

IBWT

Marcos Barber likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

WJ is now official devils advocate <laugh> i seem to remember simething Bielsa said when he arrived which was the same as something Thomas said. Not enough players over 1.8mts and at the time I laughed because Klich was sent out on loan and hes 1.8mts?

Think the players brought in (except the dwarf Blackman) are are in that height region and I’m guessing here like WJ thta we get 2 loans in which will be taller

11. 2020VisionofLeeds

Might help with the wall for free kicks. It was shako sized for their goal

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  12. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Good point WJ. How do you play the 'high pressing game' if the ball is being hoofed long. So far we've played two teams that wanted to play football and trounced them.

13. 2020VisionofLeeds

We will also meet teams who just sit in front of their goals for 90 minutes. We don’t have a huge battering ram to address that, but IBWT.

Don’t know much about Rotherham next week, might they do that?

14. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Quite agree, but we know that Bielsa will have dissected the game of each opponent team before we go out, and prepped us accordingly.

By the way, watching Holloway on Quest last night I was thinking you had a rival for Starstruck of the Week. <laugh>

15. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

If anyone does stifle this team they will have to work bloody hard.

16. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, my knowledge of Rotherham is a little bit scant.....<laugh>

Marcos Barber likes this.
  17. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I think there are no poor or good players as such, just poor coaches/managers.

You see the big clubs looking to spend tens of millions on a player when they already have a full squad. Why don't the coaches just coach the players they already have into better players.

Yes there are some players who are naturally gifted - like CR7. But these players are few and far between.

Take the Manchester City squad, if you matched them up with ours there'd be virtually no difference in average height, weight or age.

So what makes them worth so much more. Why would Man City beat Leeds Utd 99/100 ?

Is it personal motivation? Are Man City's players better motivated to get fitter and develop their skill levels ?

Are they just uber-humans ?

Or are they just better coached (skills, organization, fitness)?
    Have better training facilities and train longer and harder?

FORZA LEEDS, Farsleyexile and ristac like this.
  18. Eireleeds1

Not bothered if a few stifle us, its bound to happen and well have off days. As Ive said previously, we only need 50% of our results like yesterday, 69 points. A few scrambling wins and draws in the other 50% of games will add up to a decent haul. I dont believe over half the opposing teams will be able for us if we can keep up with the system all season

Marcos Barber and davy like this.
  19. 2020VisionofLeeds

I think we’ll get 100+ points

Please don’t bookmark that <yikes>

20. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Cardiff City needed 90 points last season to gain automatic promotion.

We got 60. So we need 50% (or 30) more points.

Last season's team would have lost at home to Stoke and away to Derby, so the way I figure it, we're already 6 points better off than last season.