1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey's Retained List - Summer 2021

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 15, 2021.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that six players will leave the club when their contracts expire this summer.

Andy Cannon, Charlie Daniels, Jordy Hiwula, Bryn Morris, Taylor Seymour and Duncan Turnbull will all be departing.

Cannon moved from Rochdale at the start of 2019 and scored three goals in 79 games, while fellow midfielder Morris – who ended last season on loan at Northampton – played 28 matches.

Forward Hiwula signed partway through the 2020/21 campaign and found the net three times for the Blues, while January arrival Daniels made 18 appearances.

Young keepers Seymour and Turnbull both made their professional debuts in January’s EFL Trophy defeat at Peterborough.

Alfie Stanley has been offered a new contract, while the club have taken up the option of a new deal for Haji Mnoga.

Pompey are still in negotiations with Ben Close, Craig MacGillivray, Tom Naylor, Jack Whatmough and Ryan Williams, whose contracts expire over the summer.

Alex Bass, James Bolton, Lee Brown, Ronan Curtis, Paul Downing, Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, Marcus Harness, Ellis Harrison, Michael Jacobs, Callum Johnson, John Marquis and Sean Raggett all remain under contract.

George Byers, Rasmus Nicolaisen, Lewis Ward and Harvey White have returned to their parent clubs and we would like to thank Swansea, FC Midtjylland, Exeter and Tottenham.

Youngsters Harry Anderson, Charlie Bell, Tom Bruce, Harry Kavanagh, Leon Pitman, Harvey Rew, Gerard Storey and Eoin Teggart will also be leaving following the completion of their scholarship deals, while Harrison Brook and Seok Jae Lee have both turned down extensions.

Pompey would like to thank all those departing players for their service to the club and wish them well for the future.

2. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Well Cannon is the standout surprise.
    I have mixed feelings about him leaving. Whether or not it turns out to be a good decision depends on who is bought in over summer.
    Cannon in mid field is a mirror opposite of Close. When Pompey are looking good Close is generally having a good game. When Pompey were struggling Cannon came to the fore. He was seen to be putting the effort in to turn things around.
    Their fortunes in the last season have also been opposites. Close was ignored by Jackett but has been given opportunity under the Cowley's ( and has taken the opportunity reasonably well). Cannon was given opportunity under Jackett - and taken it - but has been hampered by injury during the short Cowley era. Perhaps the Cowley's have not seen the best of him. I am sure they would have watched replays of all the seasons games under Jackett but television replays do not tell the whole story.
    Ironically I feel much of the problem this season has been in the mid field although I have been a fan of Naylor Cannon and Close. I think the problem has largely been the need for three mid fielders not two. You need two 50-50 ball winners (Naylor and Cannon} and one transition player when in possession (Close and to a lesser extent Naylor). I think this combination was only tried once in one of the Cowley games. In too many games it has been two against three in mid field with the result that it has been difficult to transition forward from the back four resulting in low percentage hoof ball over the mid field. The Cowleys have to some extent remedied this with the inclusion of Close but this has left them a mid field 'scrapper' short when things are not going well.
    Of course it is not clear yet whether Naylor and Close will be with us next season.
    At the club level Cannon's omission is a tough decision but I would stop short of saying it is a wrong one.
    From the players perspective it is very unfortunate. We all like a player who clearly gives everything - leaves it all out there as they say.
    I wish him very well.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Shock news today that Pompey are releasing player of the season, and first choice goalkeeper Craig MacGillivray, on a free transfer, after deciding not to take up the 12 month option on the player. To me that is unbelievable ! It's bad enough that Andy Cannon has been released by the club, although I'm the first to admit that scoring only 3 goals in 79 first team appearances isn't really quite good enough, but to let Craig go is incredulous news !!

Danny Cowley must have a very good keeper lined up to sign for us, I really hope he has !

4. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Perhaps not too bigger shock. Pompey have two quality goalkeepers in McGillvray and Bass. It is unlikely Bass would stay for another year in a reserve role. Both got into Jackett sides and were hard to dislodge. MacGilllvray has the quality edge but it is not a big edge.
    MacGillvray also has the marketability edge and at this stage it is a big edge having played for all of the past season, being on the edge of the Scottish side, and generally acknowledged as a stand out keeper in league 1.

So if MacGillvray is trying to using his marketability edge to leverage a markedly better deal the possibly fine line in ability between him and Bass may be being overlooked in favour of Bass -and more money for other players.
    All conjecture of course!