1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Swindon Town

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

It is one of those days when supporters might almost prefer (with emphasis on the ‘almost’) to be watching Pompey from the comfort of their own home.

The temperature on Portsea Island is expected to reach -1° by the time they kick-off against Swindon, with the wind chill likely to make it feel even colder.

So the hosts will hope to warm the spirits of the Fratton faithful by boosting their stuttering home form with a valuable victory.

Saturday’s draw with Plymouth saw them drop to fifth spot, but Kenny Jackett’s side are just three points behind Hull in second.

This evening’s visitors are also in desperate need of a boost, as they were beaten by Shrewsbury at the weekend to fall back into the drop zone.

The Robins – who secured the fourth tier title last term – are below the dotted line on goal difference, having won just two of their past 13 League One fixtures.

John Sheridan’s men did beat Wigan on home soil seven days ago, though, courtesy of a goal from former Pompey striker Brett Pitman.

Blues fans will not have fond memories of their side’s last meeting with Swindon, which resulted in a 5-0 defeat at the County Ground on New Year’s Day in 2013.

TEAM NEWS
    Jack Whatmough will complete his three-match suspension, while fellow defender Rasmus Nicolaisen is also unavailable.

Michael Jacobs is out after hurting his hamstring against Plymouth, with Alex Bass (leg) and Paul Downing (hamstring) both still sidelined.

Mathieu Baudry, Tom Broadbent, Zeki Fryers, Jonathan Grounds, Jordan Lyden and Conor Masterson are all expected to miss the game for Swindon through injury.

HEAD TO HEAD
    Overall
    Pompey: 23 wins
    Swindon: 28 wins
    18 draws

At Fratton Park
    Pompey: 14 wins
    Swindon: 10 wins
    10 draws

OFFICIALS
    Referee: Christopher Pollard
    Assistants: Conor Farrell and Paul Evans
    Fourth Official: Sam Allison

BETTING
    Pompey are the 46/100 favourites with VBET to secure all three points, while the visitors can be backed at 6/1.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Referee watch:-

Chris Pollard.

18 games

65 yellow cards

4 red cards

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half-time. 1-0 to Pompey with an 8th minute goal scored by Ronan Curtis, from a Charlie Daniels free kick. Andy Cannon had a shot on goal brilliantly tipped over the bar by Travers. Yellow card for Swindon's Payne for a foul from behind on Callum Johnson, in the 44th minute.

We have controlled the game so far.

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

We need a second and third goal to settle our nerves. I think it illustrates that there is very little difference ability wise from top to bottom. Sunderland winning, P'Boro and Ipswich drawing, Accky losing. I am not bothered what the teams ahead of US are doing. Let's at least secure a play-off position!

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Half-time Match Stats:-

Home Team: Portsmouth .........Away Team: Swindon

Possession:

Home 60%
    Away 40%

Shots:

Home 6
    Away 2

Shots on Target:

Home 3
    Away 0

Corners:

Home 4
    Away 1

Fouls:

Home 7
    Away 7

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final whistle goes, and it's 2-0 to Pompey. Second half goal was an Ellis Harrison penalty after Ryan Williams was brought down in the box, in the 64th minute.

Pompey brought on George Byers for Marcus Harness, and Ellis Harrison for John Marquis in the 59th minute, Lee Brown for Charlie Daniels in the 67th minute, and Harvey White for Andy Cannon in the 92nd minute.

Three points, and a clean sheet, makes it a good day at the office for us.

The Ides of March likes this.
  10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final Match Stats:-

Home Team: Portsmouth......... Away Team: Swindon

Possession:

Home 58%
    Away 42%

Shots:

Home 16
    Away 9

Shots on Target:

Home 7
    Away 0

Corners:

Home 5
    Away 4

Fouls:

Home 14
    Away 9

11. The Ides of March

With 5 more matches to come this month, it is going to be about managing the squad. It is about pacing oneself. I will take the 5 point gap at the moment, and hopefully we can increase that by the end of the month. Horrible defeat for Sunderland!! The team that is in very good form outside the play-off zone are Oxford!!!! They could well be in the picture in the next few weeks.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Doncaster were beaten 3-1 at Fleetwood Town, which was also good news for us, Ides !!

The Ides of March likes this.
  13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

As It Stands:-

14. The Ides of March

Who would you have as a front two? Curtis and Jacobs? Williams and Harness as the wide men? After all the best team in the country play without a recognised centre forward.

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

John Marquis is out of form at the moment, and has been for a few months now. I prefer Ellis Harrison who appears to be the more mobile of the two of them.

I also think that we should give Jordy Hiwula a chance up front. He has scored three goals for us in two cup matches, and looked very sharp when he played in those games. I reckon he could play alongside Ellis Harrison, as they are both quite pacy players.

Marcus Harness looks a bit off colour lately, so with Michael Jacobs out with hamstring problems, Ronan Curtis and Ryan Williams are the wide men of choice.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

17. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Who to play in the forwards is a good question - the fact that we ask the question indicates that we are currently blessed with some good forwards
    Jacobs injury reduces the current options.
    As you say Woops Marquis's current form is not good. Although not as good as Harrison's I think his 'hold up' play has improved a little. The thing about a striker is he needs to be in the right place at the right time for the tap in or near tap in goals(which are probably the majority of goals) and I think Marquis has the edge over Harrison in this area.
    I do think Harrison is far better trying to win something out of the long balls. I am also impressed by the number of defensive headers he wins from opposition corners.
    At the moment I think Jackett is playing it about right interchanging the two in substitutions. Bringing Jordy Hiwula into the mix is also a real possibility. This has become more of an option with the increased number of substitutes it having been difficult to include two substitute strikers before the rule change. Irrespective, Harrison plays such a physical game he is likely get some injuries before the season is out perhaps giving Jordy his chance.
    Getting to Ides proposal, I do think line without Harrison or Marquis would lack physical presence.
    As I have mentioned before my impression was Jacobs came to the club as a No 10 rather than a winger. Although he is involved in some of the better moves i do not feel he has been sufficiently involved and has difficulty increasing his involvement from a wing position. While I am a great fan of what Ryan Willliams has contributed in the No 10 position - and feel strongly he should at least to occupy that position until Jacobs is fit we will not know our best forward line until we have seen Jacobs move inside.
    It is good to see that Curtis appears to have 'found his attitude' again as a result of the opportunity provided by Jacobs injury.

In the last few games - despite the talent pool of our forwards - the disappointing aspect has been the lack of clear cut chances created and the low percentage of taking those that have occurred.

Having said that we have at times played some very attractive football. The comment that Pompey play a boring style irrespective of results should be fast fading.

It has also been good to see Bolton's performance while Whatmough has been suspended. He can now be considered a genuine back up player for the right back and central defender roles which increases the flexibility of the squad and should render him more opportunities.*/*