1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Southampton - Carabao Cup 3rd. Round

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

You have to go back to the 2011/12 campaign to find the last time that Pompey met their south coast rivals.

Both games during that Championship campaign finished all squad – although it was certainly the Blues fans who felt more like celebrating following the final whistle.

Joel Ward and David Norris both wrote their names in Fratton folklore by grabbing dramatic equalisers.

The latter’s is certainly the most memorable, with a superb volley deep into stoppage-time at a stunned St Mary’s.

But Southampton secured promotion at the end of that season and have remained in the Premier League since, despite a couple of recent flirtations with the drop.

And Pompey – who were then deep in financial crisis – were relegated, still trying to negotiate their way back up the divisions.

Both teams enter the game on the back of league setbacks, with Ralph Hasenhüttl’s men beaten by neighbours Bournemouth on Friday night.

It leaves them 13th in the top-flight table and that clash with the Cherries was labelled a derby by some.

Supporters of a Pompey or Southampton persuasion, however, know that this is the only true south coast derby.

TEAM NEWS

Tom Naylor will require a fitness test after collecting a knock at Wycombe, while Ellis Harrison’s red card sees him serve a one-match ban.

Pompey are also without the injured quartet of Lee Brown (Achilles), Marcus Harness (thigh), Bryn Morris (groin) and Jack Whatmough (knee).

Moussa Djenepo is missing for the visitors with a muscle injury in his leg, while there are doubts over the fitness of Nathan Redmond (ankle).

HEAD TO HEAD*
    Overall
    Pompey: 9 wins
    Southampton: 19 wins
    10 draws

At Fratton Park
    Pompey: 4 wins
    Southampton: 8 wins
    5 draws

*Football League/FA Cup/League Cup matches only

TICKETS

There are no seats available for this game, so please do not travel to the ground if you do not have a ticket.

Turnstiles are open from 6.15pm this evening, while fans will be able to use the Victory Bar from 4.30pm.

Please note that the car park is full for this game and there are no more spaces available.

OFFICIALS
    Referee: Kevin Friend
    Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Mark Scholes
    Fourth Official: Dean Whitestone

BETTING
    The visitors are the 4/11 favourites with Sky Bet to reach the fourth round, while Pompey can be backed at 2/1.

3. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Such a massive game!

Couldn't get a ticket unfortunately.

I'm hoping form goes out the window because we've been absolute ****e for a month or so now.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Luckily, I have a season ticket, so will be there.

Indeed, we have been terrible so far this season, so it will be a relief if we can get anything out of this game.

It could kick-start our season if we can get a result tonight !!

Sharpe* likes this.
  5. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Atmosphere will be so good!

Its live on Talksport which is the best I can do.

Colleague is going.

I only hope its not a beating and we give them a game and make it extremely unpleasant for them in all aspects!

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Good match thread.
    Remember the sting of the Norris goal like it was yesterday, what a hit.....the bugger!

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I wasn't there, watching the match at home on the telly. David Norris's goal was a cracker, I don't think anyone saw that coming......

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

We thought we'd got out of jail with our late goal, but his was one of them football god hits.
    Who was that defender you had who twatted the ball into our stand, then slapped Lallana? That seems more funny now! (the lallana bit anyway)

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

That was the Portugeezer Ricardo Rocha. What a character he was !

10. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

We're gonna take a pounding

11. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Good start!

12. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

****ing hell we're wobbling now!

Keep giving the ball away.

Gap between the midfield and back 4 is huge.

13. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Can't string 3 passes together atm.

14. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Well they tried but in all honestly are lacking in quality.

Difference between the leagues is apparent - in particular up top.

Ings having a blinder.

15. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

He brings Evans on who should have started when 3-0 down at 78 mins.

Why why why Jacket?

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Lost 0-4, against Premier League opposition. Played well in the first half, but failed to take our chances. Saints scored a scrappy goal to take the lead, then an excellent second goal just before half time. Losing Oli Hawkins to injury in the second half affected our defence, and we conceded two more goals.

Saints deserved their win...... Attendance was 18,707, incl. 1,981 away fans

Fantastic atmosphere tonight, Pompey's fans singing to the end.

pompeydownunder likes this.
  17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Final Match Stats:-

Home Team: Portsmouth ..........Away Team: Southampton

Possession:

Home 38%
    Away 62%

Shots:

Home 16
    Away 11

Shots on Target:

Home 4
    Away 9

Corners:

Home 7
    Away 1

Fouls:

Home 11
    Away 13

18. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Food for thought and time to reflect as the team gather their thoughts for the home game against the famous Bolton Wanderers.

PS: Their Guildhall is similar to Portsmouth´s!!!

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

20. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

A huge difference between the derby and the Bolton game in terms of pressure.
    Against Saints nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Against Bolton nothing but a good win will be acceptable
    The Saints game has just been replayed on tele in Oz so a rare chance for me to see a full game - not just highlights.
    Two conclusions: didn't deserve to win and didn't deserve to lose 4-0 (or even 3-0).
    As I have said before I think Jackett needs to decide what his best side is and stick to it to the extent injuries and suspensions will allow.
    I think there were enough positives - despite the result - to stick with last nights team against Bolton.
    An exception to this may have to be Downing in for Hawkins due to injury. This was unfortunate. Although I was critical of Hawkins selection against Wycombe he apparently had a good game as he did last night. Pompey have three players that look as if they need a run of full games: Bolton, Williams and Cannon.
    I would stick with Bolton at the moment because not only does he need a run of games but the team needs a run of games with the same R.B.
    Williams appears to have pace and is, to my mind, worth a run although I thought he over played on occasions last night.
    There is no doubt that Pitman is the Pompey player most likely to take an opportunity. Last night he was unlucky on a couple of occasions. the trouble is he appears to play more like a twin striker than a number10 which leaves Pompey short in mid-field. Given he is in the team and there is a need to stabilise selections I believe he should stay were he is (also to keep Lapras happy!).
    In the longer term it will be interesting to see what happens when Harkness returns. If Curtis and Williams can show some form he could return as a No 10 in place of Pitman. Otherwise I think the competition between Curtis Harness & Williams for the wide positions would be positive.
    I do not think that Marquis's selection is cast in stone in the long term although he is safe for now. While Pitman has not proved suitable in the past in a 'one up front ' formation he could perhaps better fill that role with the pace of Curtis, Williams and Harness around him.
    While I have been a fan of Close I am uncertain if his failure to put a stamp on some games is a symptom of Pompey not playing through the mid field or if he is sometimes the problem. He lacks bite in 50-50 situations but, although critized for paying sideways to much, I think he is currently Pompey's best chance of any mid-field creativity and I think he has shown some improvement in that regard (although it was not particularly evident last night). In the longer term it remains to be seen if Morris can provide some mid field creativity. I have not seen anything of him but he appears to have a good pedigree.
    Cannon can provide the bite and energy but perhaps not the creativity. As I have said before I think his performances warrant a longer run in the team but, at the moment I would sacrifice his rights for the need for a more stable selection
    Evans is unfortunate to be missing out on the starting line up also. He ( and indeed Pitman) are players that can make an impact from the bench. I would have put Chaplin in that category also. Unfairly such players are inclined to be selected on the bench.
    Woops, you mentioned the possibility of player more of the youngsters. I think for now they should stick with the more established players generally but if it becomes apparent (which it isn't just yet) that it is going to be a mid table season I think that maybe that will be the way to go.