1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pompey sack Danny and Nicky Cowley !!

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Portsmouth Football Club have parted company with head coach Danny Cowley and assistant head coach Nicky Cowley.

Chief executive Andrew Cullen said: “We are desperately disappointed that, following our recent run of results, we have today made the difficult decision to part company with Danny and Nicky.

“Both Danny and Nicky have given everything to Pompey, working so hard inside and outside of the training ground with a determination to bring success – not just to the football club, but to the city of Portsmouth and the wider community.

“Danny and Nicky both really understand Portsmouth and they should look back with pride at the progress and innovation they have delivered at the club.

“We will forever be grateful to them for their personal commitment towards reinvigorating the special connection between the football club and our community. We all wish Danny and Nicky success in everything they go on to do.

“We must now look forward and with 24 league games still to play, we will focus all our efforts towards delivering the targets we set for this season. The search for a new coaching team will commence immediately.”

On Twitter:-

Eric Eisner
    @eric_eisner

Tough decision made today by the board. I am very fond of both Danny and Nicky. Very fond. In the end it just didn’t work out. They truly understood the community and fan base. We are still in striking distance of the playoffs and feel like we got the core to get us there. #pup

10:39 pm · 2 Jan 2023

2. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

I mirror a lot of comments I've seen on social media that its a shame as they are nice guys and good guys in football are rare nowadays.

They actually got the club and made the effort as opposed to KJ.

However it is a results business and we've not been good enough.

They had to go in my opinion but it is a shame it hasn't worked out.

Still think the bigger issue is the owners who need to properly invest in the squad.

Until they do we won't go up.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Well as Green Day said, nice guys finish last

Shame it's ended this way. I very much enjoyed us dismantling Rochdale on my last trip to the park and considering how many people wanted Cowley in the first place. It seems inevitable, a manager comes in, does well for a bit, we end up top for a week or two, form implodes, they get sacked, a new manager comes in. Repeat until the end of time or until the sun explodes.

It's why I can't get too excited by this. Still, timing was probably the best it can be... The new dude should have most of the January window to make any changes.

One thing I am glad about though is historically Portsmouth does give a manager a fair go at it, they don't jump the gun too quickly and at least give them some time even if things don't go quite so well. I'm glad we're not one of these clubs that sacks a manager after a month.

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I have read today that three names put forward by fans and football writers are Chris Wilder, Leam Richardson and Liam Manning. All of them are currently out of work and available to sign.

Chris Wilder (55) did a fantastic job at Sheffield United, taking them from Division 1 to the Premier League in 4 years. It didn't quite work out for him at Middlesbrough.

Leam Richardson (43) was of course assistant manager under Paul Cook when we won promotion from Division 2 as champions. He followed Cook to Wigan, and then took charge of Wigan after Cook left to manage Ipswich. He won promotion from Division 1 to the Championship last season.

Liam Manning (37) recently sacked by MK Dons, who he took to the1st Division play offs last season. He has a reputation for developing young players, which could be useful.

Who else is readily available to be considered one wonders ?!

5. SaintLapras

I swear every time a Portsmouth manager is sacked Chris wilder's name comes up.

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Like many on here and elsewhere, I feel sad about Danny and Nicky being sacked but as has been said countless times, if you don't produce the results then you pay the price. If we are to reduce the age of the squad, I would favour Manning. The lack of anyone cóming through the youth ranks in the current squad is alarming. Are they not good enough, or were the Cowley's distrustful.of developing the talents of Harvey-White and Alfie Goodman, who.are around the same age as Bellingham???

7. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

The News have reported that Ian Foster, currently England U20s boss and former Portsmouth assistant manager, would be open to returning to Fratton Park as the League One side’s new boss.

Foster worked as no.2 to Paul Cook from 2015 to 2017 and since then, he’s been coaching England’s Young Lions, even guiding the U19s to European Championship glory last year.

With Foster reportedly keen on a return, it will be interesting to see if he’s a candidate Portsmouth consider closely.

After almost six years coaching in England’s youth set-up, a return to club football for Foster could be an intriguing prospect.

The Liverpool-born coach started his career as assistant manager of Galway United before becoming their first-team boss, then moving onto Dundalk. That was his last senior management role, way back in 2011. Foster then became a development coach at Coventry City before his time alongside Cook at Portsmouth.

His successful track record as an England youth coach shows he’s well-versed in developing young players and after a successful time with the country, it would be interesting to see just how he’d fare on a return to club level.

The Ides of March likes this.
  10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I would love Pompey to play more players who have either come through the youth ranks or have been purchased from lower/non League teams. To be successful, the Quality of the youth needs to improve. Perhaps, it is already getting better. Signing cast-offs from the Championship add loans has resultes in the slide towards mediocrity. I feel.Wilder would go down the latter route, therefore I would.be quite receptive to this guy or Manning!

11. SaintLapras

I'm glad we're not rushing the decision on who to appoint, but I'm wondering how much time in the January transfer window a new manager will have. But perhaps our squad is strong enough to compete and just needs good management to perform well

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Chris Wise @chriswisey

Exc: Understand that John Mousinho is under serious consideration to become the next head coach of Portsmouth. He’s Chairman of the PFA, and is still under contract as a player with Oxford United.

..............................................................................................................................
    Andrew Moon @mrandrewmoon

Oxford United first-team coach John Mousinho is serious contender to be the new #Pompey Head Coach #oufc

12:16 pm · 19 Jan 2023·

.............................................................................................................................

Neil Allen @pn_neil_allen

I understand Oxford United's John Mousinho is on the shortlist to be #Pompey's next head coach. More details soon.

12:14 pm · 19 Jan 2023

14. SaintLapras

Sounds like Mourinho... Take him!!!

: pup