1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pochettino with rose tinted glasses

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by mowgli, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I think we also should be cogent of the fact that people's words are twisted and misrepresented...I doubt it was *quite* meant in that manner (it is the Daily Mail after all), but I'm not going to stick up for him!

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Stop spoiling the fun. Better we should all agree that Pochettino is an egotistical dickwit whose every utterance just goes to prove how lucky we are to be shot of him.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

What it does tell us is that MP feels a bit sensitive about this issue. He may not have thought it at the time, but obvious that he now wishes we had crashed and burned. Can't stand the idea we can do without him and actually even do better.

4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

What I loved about Koeman's response to this in the press conference was that he said he knows Spanish radio and doubts the quotes are as they are in the British media, then put his tongue in his cheek and unleashed some sarcasm and a bit of fire, then finished with 'no comment'.

<laugh> <applause>

5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Pochettino is a good manager. I think he improved the club while he was here, and I think he is doing okay at Spurs. Kind of silly that he feels like he needs to try and take credit for someone else's work when his record stands up just fine on its own.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I can't see the nail anymore; it's been embedded after it was struck with a hammer.

Right here folks.

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Hark at Dad getting all sensible on us :)

8. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

What record? He was unknown before he came with no track record unlike the present incumbent. Granted he made a reputation for himself here, though he had a very talented squad who being newly promoted to the PL had just found their feet after a disastrous start.
    We finished eighth in his only full season but I'll ask you this? Debatable but did any of those 12 teams below us have bigger, better squads and financial clout, imo no.
    How many points did we drop from winning positions under MP, 20 plus off the top of my head.
    How many points have we dropped from winning positions so far this season, 2.

I believe for us to have finished lower than eighth last year we would have had to have a sh*t manager.
    If we had had a better manager we could of finished higher than eighth, MP imo is just an ok manager.
    No coincidence those better managers who finished above us came ransacking our squad in the summer.

ImpSaint likes this.
  9. Le Tissier's Laces

:p

I still actually quite like the bloke, for some unfathomable reason!

10. Le Tissier's Laces

1 - Well he wasn't unknown. Just not widely known in the rarified world of the PL.
    2 - We finished 8th. Our best finish in the PL.
    3 - Yes we lost lots of points from winning positions, but we also (like with RK) had a phenomenal defensive record and also (like with RK) we struggled when we suddenly got a LOT of injuries all in the same position.
    4 - Agreed, we've improved this season.
    5 - We'd likely have finished lower than 8th last season with Nigel. So I presume you think he's ****?
    6 - He's better than "okay".
    7 - But those managers you consider "better" who ransacked our squad don't seem to be doing any better than his Spurs team.

Come on, you might dislike the man as a person and for his behaviour over the summer, I can understand that, but not recognising his ability as a manger is being blinded by that very dislike a little too much.

fatletiss and Jose Fonte baby like this.

11. The Archers

1- He was known in Spain, doubt if he was known in any other rarified world?
    2- Joint best position, with a good manager who didn't have same resources at The Dell.
    3- We're agreed we lost lots of points from winning positions, MP was naïve RK isn't, we have had several injuries, suspensions since December, same as last.
    4- Agreed.
    5- We'll never know, NA is not **** imo
    6- Better than okay?? No I don't think he is, atm Spurs are (6th) where they are and where they'll always be, top 6 or 7.
    7- Those managers are all competing for top 4, as Spurs are but they won't get top 4.

Your right I had no affinity for the person when he was our manager, go to a lot of away games and never forget him blanking our support as always after a 3-0 win at Fulham. Walked in front of us from dugout to tunnel across pitch and didn't even raise his head. But no I am not blinded to his ability as a manager, he got his reputation here, and yes he sets out teams to be attractive but tactically inept to be a good manager at the top level.

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Firstly being well known in Spain isn't nothing, and means you're not unknown. You don't think a young manager can learn either? Interesting. Ronald has considerably more experience than MP. He's taken a woefully divided Spurs dressing room (and club) and moulded the start of what looks like a good team. They may well get top four this season, you don't know that. Also Gordon may have had less resources at The Dell, but then all the teams have developed significantly (both upwards and downwards) - getting Southampton to 8th in the league last season was an excellent achievement. I just don't understand this obsession with downplaying MP and what he has done. It smacks of bitterness and resentment.

13. The Archers

I was referring to Hoddle not Gordon whose achievement in getting us to eighth is surpassed, as both those two did not have MP's resources.
    Can a young manager learn, course they can, we all have to start in life somewhere.
    Can't be ars*d debating Spurs who I and probably you don't know either too much about, as I said Spurs are where they are and where they normally are regardless of harmony.

I honestly believe MP is just an okay manager who reaped the rewards of our talented squad, hypothetical I know but I would love to know what RK would have achieved with that squad. Your Lovrens and Osvaldos may never of been heard of if he had got hold of us in that pre season?
    Don't try to understand, its not an obsession, resentment or bitterness, I'm delighted where we are now!!! I honestly think MP was in the right place at the right time, he's an okay manager and he hasn't done anything here or at Spurs to change that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. Le Tissier's Laces

Fair enough mate. Only time will tell of course. I just think he's a talented young manager who will get better and prove to be very good. We shall see, but let's be honest, we're far more interested in what happens at St Mary's!