1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread PNE v Leeds United Deepdale 10/4/2018

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Apr 9, 2018.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Once more to the last chance saloon we go, anything else less than a win will mean we can kiss goodbye to our slim chances of going into the end of season competition.
    Always a decent atmosphere against United as they always bring loads in good or bad times for them, only had one change of manager this season with Paul Heckingbottom taking over from Thomas Christiansen following a series of poor performances.
    Like us they have also had a poor disciplinary record having had a few players sent off including Beradi on Saturday against Sunderland.
    They have some talented individuals Siaz and Hernandez whilst at the back they have Jansson who I think is a really decent player. United seem to have had trouble with the goalkeeping spot, Lonergan and Weilwald have played in the majority of the games with the latter being severely error prone, between the sticks at the moment is youngster Biley Peacock-Farrell who seems to be doing a decent job.
    Heckingbottom has blooded other youngsters in recent matches but suspect he will spend the summer overhauling the squadn having basically inhering the last eight managers players.
    We have yet to beat a Heckingbottom side and also have not taken three points from the Yorkshire side since we returned to the Championship.
    As for us simples just put the ball in the net nothing more nothing less, we lacked a bit of spark in the first half on Saturday and personally think Harrop should be in the starting eleven possible return for Clarke to bring a bit more experience to the side. Time to bold nothing to lose.

Stat Attack: Leeds United

please log in to view this image

We welcome the fifth of this season’s visitors from Yorkshire as Leeds United arrive at Deepdale for the 25th time for a league match, making this our 50th meeting in all in the competition.

Leeds have been infrequent visitors, with those 24 previous meetings spread over more than 90 years since they first turned up here in 1925.

There is some symmetry in their record, as the most recent game here repeated the scoreline in that first game, both resulting in 4-1 defeats for North End. Fortunately, we have had much the better of the contests in between those two heavy defeats, with 13 wins and five draws outweighing the additional four victories our guests have claimed.

There was a 40 year gap in games between our clubs here from 1964 until 2004 and it was to be another two years before we finally claimed all the points for the first time in 42 years.

We have twice scored five goals in a match in this fixture, winning by 5-1 in 1927 and 5-0 in 1936, whilst we have also triumphed by 4-1 in 1962 and 2006. With an aggregate of 77 goals and only one goalless draw, the odds on neither team scoring today must be pretty long.
    United are not the only side from the city – or indeed Elland Road – that we have met in league action. United formed in 1919 after the Football League forced Leeds City to disband after making illegal payments to players during the First World War. Leeds City joined the league in 1905 and faced North End twice at Deepdale, both of which we won. After City were forced out of business, United took their place in the league and also moved into City’s former Elland Road ground.

Numerous players have played for both clubs, with several members of our successful side of the early 2000s making the move east, in David Healy, Richard Cresswell and Eddie Lewis and they were subsequently joined by Sean Gregan and Andy Lonergan.

Neil Kilkenny and Jermaine Beckford numbered Leeds amongst their former clubs and going further back in time, Frank Worthington and Clive Clark wore both versions of our clubs’ white shirts. Of our current squad, Paul Huntington spent two years at Elland Road after leaving Newcastle United, during which time he made 32 appearances and scored three goals.

On This Date
    Our regular left back in the late 1960 and early 1970s, John Ritchie, was born on this date in 1944. From Ashington in Northumberland, which was also the birthplace of the Charlton brothers and the Milburn footballing family, John joined us from Port Vale in 1967 and was a fixture of the side for the next five years, despite suffering regular knee injuries that saw all four cartilages removed.

Described at all three of his league clubs as ‘hard and uncompromising’, he also managed to score from over forty yards for both Port Vale and North End, his example for North End coming in a 3-0 win over Watford in August 1969. He left for Bradford City in 1972 and died in 2012, having worked as a prison officer after ending his playing career.

Scottish winger Kevin Magee, who spent 18 months at Deepdale in the 1990s, has his 47th birthday today.
    Adam Barton made his North End debut on this date in 2010 as a promising midfielder. He made 58 appearances for us before moving to Coventry but his career here was interrupted by a bad leg break in 2012. He subsequently played for Fleetwood and Portsmouth and is one of several former North Enders playing in Scotland, Adam being on the books of Partick Thistle.

We have played 17 previous home games on this date, losing only once whilst winning ten and drawing six.

Notable matches include 4-0 wins over Wolves (1893), Gillingham (1976) and Mansfield (1990). We also overcame West Bromwich Albion by 4-1 on this date in 1937 to reach that season’s FA Cup Final.

Frank Becton scored his fourth hat-trick of the season in the 1893 win over Wolves, whilst Steve Harper recorded his only treble for the club as we overcame Mansfield in the 1990 fixture.

Last Five Games At Deepdale
    Preston North End 1 (Vermijl) Leeds United 4 (Roofe, Sacko, Doukara, Hernandez), 26th December 2016
    Preston North End 1 (Hugill) Leeds United 1 (Wood (pen)), 7th May 2016
    Preston North End 1 (Hume) Leeds United 2 (Kilkenny, Paynter), 8th March 2011
    Preston North End 4 (Dichio, Pugh, Nugent, Neal) Leeds United 1 (Healy), 31st October 2006
    Preston North End 0 Leeds United 2 (Hulse, Richardson), 8th May 2006

Ref Watch: Leeds United

please log in to view this image

It is a year to the week since Lee Probert last took charge of a Preston North End game as the match official.

The experienced Premier League official is the referee for the clash with Leeds United, having also been the man with the whistle for another clash with a West Yorkshire outfit, away at Huddersfield, his first game in charge at the John Smith’s Stadium last April.

This is the Wiltshire referee’s ninth game in charge of North End since his joined the league’s lists back in the 2003/04 season; the last of which before that clash at the Terriers, being at Sheffield United’s Bramall Lane in January 2015, when the Lilywhites won an FA Cup fourth round replay 3-1.

Over the years he has refereed European games and international matches, so is a very well-respected official, who this season have taken charge of 26 games, issuing 46 cautions and five red cards.
    He has taken charge of one other Leeds game this season, their 3-1 defeat at Leicester City in the fourth round of the EFL Cup back in October.

An interesting fact is that Lee was the referee when the Lilywhites played at QPR in February 2005 in the first of the modern day Gentry Day fixtures, former PNE skipper Chris Lucketti and David Nugent scoring in the 2-1 win at Loftus Road and Chris is back at Deepdale for tonight’s game.

2. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

If you don't beat our depleted and poor team lead by a clueless coach this time you never will.
    Since September when by some quirk we were top of the league we have ben worse than Burton and Sunderland.
    Good post BTW.

themaclad likes this.
  3. themaclad

If you score with your only shot on target we'll lose absolute classic on the cards tomorrow night then:emoticon-0101-sadsm

4. themaclad

Preston North End 3 Gallagher, Maguire, Browne Leeds United 1
    PNE: Rudd, Clarke, Huntington, Davies, Cunningham, Pearson, Gallagher (Harrop 67), Bodin (Horgan 84), Browne, Barkhuizen (Robinson 76), Maguire. Subs (not used): Woods, Moult, Earl, Maxwell.
    Leeds: Peacock-Farrell, Dallas, Jansson (Diaz 57), O'Connor, Anita, Vieira, Phillips, Hernandez, Roofe (Saiz 68), Ekuban, Grot (Alioski 68). Subs (not used): Lasogga, Nicell, Pearce, Lonergan.
    Referee: Lee Probert (Wiltshire)
    Attendance: 14,188 (3,550 away)

At half time 1 down having the majority of chances and seen the opposition score with their first effort on goal the vast majority of the home support no doubt had that sinking feeling that defeat number four on the bounce was about to happen, but credit wher credit is due we upped the tempo and in the end ran out deserving winners against a Leeds side which seems to be uncertain in which direction it is heading as the team sheet proved with the surprise benching of Saiz and Alioski.
    We started well but true to form Leeds took an early lead after a series of errors by North End, Huntington misjudged a header which led to a corner, fom the corner Gallagher missed his challenge ball across to back post Roofe applied finishing touch.
    Maguire missed two chances which really should have been taken against a Leeds back line which included Dallas at right back and youngster O'Connor at centre back and was suspect to say the least when we did occasionally threaten the goal the young keeper kept them out and so did the woodwork hit when MOM Bodin whacked a shot against it.
    Level almost immediately at the start of the second half, Anita brought down Bodin, soft penalty but right decision, Gallagher's penalty was perfect low to the bottom right with keeper Peacock-Farrell going the right way but not able to save it. Within minutes we were ahead.
    Gally's cross from a wide right was a cracker Maguire headed home without a defender near him. Possible controversy over the goal from the preceding corner Jansson was flat out on the deck, the referee didn't stop play and we scored.
    Gallagher nearly went from hero to zero with a abject pass across the face of his own goal but he was bailed out by a Davies with an excellent defensive tackle.
    A bitb of hanbags following a foul on Rudd who made another good save from Ekuban before Robinson's cross from the left, Browne's header was exceptional and it was points in the bag.
    Once we were levl we played with returning confidence the gap is now down to five points up to sixth still all to play for.

Alex Neil believed his side took to their second half objective head on and came out fighting as North End got back to winning ways at Deepdale tonight.

At half-time, the hosts found themselves in an all too familiar scenario in recent weeks as despite being the better team, Kemar Roofe’s goal on 13 minutes sent Leeds ahead at the break.

However, in the second half, Alex Neil’s side scored three without reply to earn the Lilywhites the win at Deepdale, and the manager was pleased with the attitude shown amongst his players this evening.

“At half-time we were a bit concerned that it was going to be the same old because we’ve been in similar positions in recent week where we’ve performed well. I thought we were the better side in the first half and had the better of the chances. They’ve had a couple of attempts at goal but not really that many where you think they should have scored whereas we’ve had several. We had a lot more pressure and chances at that stage.

“At half-time, I just said to the lads we’re all sick of coming in here and saying we’re playing well but not getting what we deserve because winning games and points is what it’s about so we need to go and make the difference and that’s what they did.
    “They rose to the challenge and I thought what we did in the second half was add goals to our game. I don’t think the game changed that much and then we went on and won the game and rightfully so.

“I challenged them at half-time because we’ve done a couple of debriefs about how we’ve played and I think the message we’ve had between us and speaking to the lads is that we just need to keep believing and doing what we’re doing as it will reap dividends and our performances have improved as the season has wore on.

"We’ve created more chances in terms of clear cut, and I think tonight if we took all of our chances we’d of had five or six so it’s pleasing. Today was a shot in the arm for us and some of the lads now will grow in confidence and be stronger.”

The manager admitted that he looked for inspiration from his experienced players tonight, none other than through Paul Gallagher who scored and assisted one this evening.

“I don’t think Gally had his best first half, but what experienced players do is they go and stick their chest out and make it right and that’s exactly what he did,” added Neil.

“He comes in and takes his penalty nice and calm into the corner and it’s an unbelievable delivery for the second goal. Sean puts his head in there where he needs to as a striker and gets his goal. Sean’s second half performance was much improved as well; we needed a lot more from our players in the second half and we got that.

“We needed to make sure we stopped that stem of defeats and to score three goals as well was pleasing.
    “We’ve got some good games coming up and some teams around us have got some difficult games coming up but we’re still in that bunch and we need to hope that teams drop points and it’s back to one match again and anything can happen so we’ll keep going. The most important thing tonight is to win the game

Alex Neil believed his side took to their second half objective head on and came out fighting as North End got back to winning ways at Deepdale tonight.

At half-time, the hosts found themselves in an all too familiar scenario in recent weeks as despite being the better team, Kemar Roofe’s goal on 13 minutes sent Leeds ahead at the break.

However, in the second half, Alex Neil’s side scored three without reply to earn the Lilywhites the win at Deepdale, and the manager was pleased with the attitude shown amongst his players this evening.

“At half-time we were a bit concerned that it was going to be the same old because we’ve been in similar positions in recent week where we’ve performed well. I thought we were the better side in the first half and had the better of the chances. They’ve had a couple of attempts at goal but not really that many where you think they should have scored whereas we’ve had several. We had a lot more pressure and chances at that stage.

“At half-time, I just said to the lads we’re all sick of coming in here and saying we’re playing well but not getting what we deserve because winning games and points is what it’s about so we need to go and make the difference and that’s what they did.
    “They rose to the challenge and I thought what we did in the second half was add goals to our game. I don’t think the game changed that much and then we went on and won the game and rightfully so.

“I challenged them at half-time because we’ve done a couple of debriefs about how we’ve played and I think the message we’ve had between us and speaking to the lads is that we just need to keep believing and doing what we’re doing as it will reap dividends and our performances have improved as the season has wore on.

"We’ve created more chances in terms of clear cut, and I think tonight if we took all of our chances we’d of had five or six so it’s pleasing. Today was a shot in the arm for us and some of the lads now will grow in confidence and be stronger.”

The manager admitted that he looked for inspiration from his experienced players tonight, none other than through Paul Gallagher who scored and assisted one this evening.

“I don’t think Gally had his best first half, but what experienced players do is they go and stick their chest out and make it right and that’s exactly what he did,” added Neil.

“He comes in and takes his penalty nice and calm into the corner and it’s an unbelievable delivery for the second goal. Sean puts his head in there where he needs to as a striker and gets his goal. Sean’s second half performance was much improved as well; we needed a lot more from our players in the second half and we got that.

“We needed to make sure we stopped that stem of defeats and to score three goals as well was pleasing.
    “We’ve got some good games coming up and some teams around us have got some difficult games coming up but we’re still in that bunch and we need to hope that teams drop points and it’s back to one match again and anything can happen so we’ll keep going. The most important thing tonight is to win the game

Leeds United head coach Paul Heckingbottom s

Heckingbottom was unhappy with the result, but heaped praise on the 3,550 Leeds supporters who made the trip across the Pennines.

“I’m sick about a lot of things and it is disappointing,” said Heckingbottom.

“The big turning point was the second goal, it was tough, we had a man down with a head injury and all of these moments seem to be going against us.

“As it stands at the minute, we have the dressing room we have and everyone has to stand up and we have to squeeze every little bit that we can out of all the players.

“I can’t take too many positives out of the game, because there is nothing worse than getting beat.

“Our fans were superb though, sticking with us and getting behind us and we are going to need their support, to help the young players through it.”

Heckingbottom also gave an injury update on his squad, with an increasing number of players currently on the sidelines.

He said: “As it stands we won’t have any more players back for Friday, which is frustrating.

“We want to put a team out which can give the fans what they want, a performance with determination and aggression on the pitch.
    At the minute we have what we have and we will keep working and push the players to

5. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

If the second half of this game is anything to go by, NE are beginning to knit together. A tad too late probably. The game at QPR will illustrate whether there is any revival.