1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread PNE v Doncaster Rovers Deepdale 6/1/2019

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 4, 2019.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Years ago the first Saturday in January woukld be the one day in the football calendar that virtually every football fan in the lnd would look forward too, FA Cup third round day, all 32 ties would be played at the same time all 3pm over the years though the competition has bit by bit been eroded, teams playing under strength sides, varying kick off times, however this season we have reached the peak of desperation, first game is tonight at 7.45pm there are a handful of game 12.30 Saturday some at 3.00pm and more at 5.30 pm plus games now on Sunday at 2pm plus Wolves at 7.45 pm Monday night. Add into the mix no replays from round five onwards total nonsense.

So we play Doncaster 2pm on Sunday apparently for overseas television all I can see theymust be desperate or they suspect a shock which given our stretched resources could be on the cards.

please log in to view this image

Donny have had a decent season so far and are in and around the play off zone in League 1 playing attractive football and scoring goals a plenty with the likes of Marquis, Kane, Coppingr and May potting plenty, recent form they have lost only once since early November and that was a 3-0 defeat at Fleetwood on Boxing Day, in the cup they beat Chorley 7-0 after a replay and won at the Valley against Charlton 2-0.

Famous Doncaster footballer Charlie Williams who also appeared on the Comedians had a lengthy career with them

They also had a striker called Alick Jeffrey who I always seemed to recalled bagged a lot of goals in teh lower league in the 1960's

Last time at Deepdale was in the promotion season Donny leading 2-1 deep into injury time were denied victory when Beckford levelled late on, the point took us top of the league although we were eventuall;y pipped for promotion by MK Dons who are currently residing in the where are they now files.

After Tuesdays loss at Rotherham cannot see many changes as we are still short of fit players, all three new signings are cup tied would love to see Walker given a game but we'll see what the boss puts out. Browne, Maguire, Barker and Earl all apparently close to fitness but not likely to be risked

Ref Watch: Doncaster Rovers

The match referee for this Sunday’s Emirates FA Cup third round tie with Doncaster Rovers is Andy Davies, making his second trip to Deepdale this season.
    His first appearance in PR1 was the local derby with Bolton Wanderers back in September. That was, in fact, the officials’ second-only time of taking charge in PR1, making the long trip up from Hampshire for the game.

His first trip here was back in January 2018, when he was referee for the 1-1 draw with Birmingham City.

Whilst that was his first game as Deepdale, the match official has taken charge of North End games in the past, including the opening game of the 2016/17 at Reading.
    This is his seventh year on the EFL lists, but only his fifth ever PNE game. He took charge of 2015/16s goalless draw at Brighton & Hove Albion back in October 2015, having previously been the match official for a Lilywhites fixture back in 2012 at Leyton Orient.
    This will be his 22nd game of the new season, having issued 66 cautions and six red cards – five of them coming in the last three games! His last game was the New Year’s Day clash between Crawley and Colchester United, where two men saw red.

He will be assisted by Adam Crysell and Billy Smallwood and the fourth official is Barry Lamb

Team News: Doncaster Rovers

Ben Pearson will serve the final game of his four match ban for the red card he received at Sheffield Wednesday, just prior to Christmas, when the Lilywhites entertain Doncaster Rovers in the Emirates FA Cup Third Round this Sunday afternoon.
    Manager Alex Neil has been busy at the start of the transfer window, with Josh Ginnelly, Jayden Stockley and Brad Potts all having completed permanent deals, but the three are cup tied for this weekend and unable to make their first appearances for the club.

However, the gaffer will hope to have some of his ten injured players back and available for the clash with Grant McCann’s men.

Alan Browne, Sean Maguire Brandon Barker (all hamstring) and Josh Earl (thigh) are close to a return to action, having missed different amounts of games over recent weeks and months, but no one will be overly risked if they are not fully ready for first team action.
    Those definitely still out are Ben Davies, Louis Moult and Callum Robinson (hamstring) and Billy Bodin and Josh Harrop (ACL), whilst goalkeeper Chris Maxwell will also be checked before the squad is named for the clash with the League One promotion chasers.
    Rovers pair James Coppinger and Paul Taylor both returned to action in the thumping home win Rochdale on New Year’s Day.

Veteran midfielder Coppinger had not featured in the previous win at Gillingham due to a foot injury, while forward Taylor missed out through illness, but both made the bench at the Keepmoat Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Defender Shaun Cummings is expected to still be sidelined after sustaining a groin injury in the Boxing Day defeat at Fleetwood. Two other defenders, Niall Mason (broken toe) and Joe Wright (ankle), are closing in on their returns following long-term injuries, but may not be ready for Sunday.

Winger Kieran Sadlier, signed on the opening day of the transfer window from Cork City, should receive international clearance in time to make his debut against the Lilywhites and could come up against friend Sean Maguire, if his fellow Irishman is fit to return.

Aaron Lewis also completed a loan move from Swansea City before Friday’s noon deadline for registrations for the third round tie and he could also be involved in the squad that head across the Pennines.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

SKy have ruined f tball for the spectators. The fixtures list is so confusing. The C'shiip fixtures seem to be dominated by the owner of Leeds United. Do list but I exnny will be a challenge for NE considering the NE's injury, but I expect NE to win.

3. themaclad

Not Sky this time it's being shown in America

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Got that wrong. Seems as though Donny were the better team by making fewer mistakes. Well at least Maguire and Browne got time on the pitch in the match. Considering the condition of the squad, I don't think too many tears will be shed over this loss. FA Cup ties can be inconvenient if a squad is recovering from many injuries. I just hope it was entertaining in a football sense for the spectators. At least NE did not get knocked out by a non-league team. Didn't Barnet do well?

themaclad likes this.
  5. themaclad

Yep barnet did well Barnet as did Oldham and Newport

Preston North End 1 Hughes Doncaster Rovers 3 Marquis, Anderson, Wilks
    PNE line-up: Crowe, Fisher, Hughes, Ledson (Barker, 60), Storey, Huntington, Barkhuizen, Johnson, Nmecha (Maguire, 73), Burke (Browne, 46), Gallagher ©. Subs not used: Rudd, Earl, Clarke, Woods, Maguire.

Doncaster Rovers line-up: Lawlor, Andrew, Butler ©, Wilks, Whiteman, Marquis, Crawford (Rowe, 85), Anderson, Kane, Blair, May (Coppinger, 64). Subs not used: Marosi, Rowe, Sadlier, Horten, Greaves, Lewis.

Attendance: 8,101 (1,308 Doncaster fans)

Referee: Mr A Davies

This is about as good as it got for us today, it's the kick off

Firstly well done Doncaster wanted it more than us played better football amnd thoroughly deserved to go through, this was poor by us to say the least only positives four back from injury on the bench and three new signings to come in for next Saturday's game against Swansea.
    We started off brightly but with their first attack Donny went down the right hand side ball to the back post Marquis header 0-1. They could have had a second Marquis header from a corner was cleared of the line by Burke. Donny closed us down, when they had possession made us work hard to get it back,. Build up wise we were ponderous and only tested the keeper once when Hughes blasted an effort towards goal straight at Lawlor. We got back into it towards half time when Hughes was unlucky and hit the post from outside the box.
    Deservedly losing at half time could have been two almost after the restart Storey's back pass was short Wilks nipped in took it round Crowe and missed.
    It was soon to cost Rovers from a corner Gallagher's put it to the back post Hughes headed home, dominated for a brief period both Fisher and Johnson denied by Lawlor after Gallagher had played Fisher in with a stunning cross ball.
    Coppinger cam on for Rovers and gave them fresh impetus, he fired narrowly wide from 25 yards, but they were not to be denied for long, some epicly bad defending led to Anderson bundling the ball over the line, has to be said Crowe didn't cover himself in glory with that one, was to get worse for him.
    Browne should have equalised headed wide from close range after great work down the left by Barker and Hughes.
    Then we fell apart Fisher who may have been lucky not to have been sent off for appearing to punch Wilks in the first half went in for a tackle missed the ball and player, two on one against the keeper the defender was bailed out by a brilliant last ditch tackle by Storey.
    Were not reprieved for long ball over the top both Huntington and Storey went to shepherd the ball back to Crowe who managed to miss it Wilks didn't miss this time.
    Game over

Preston manager Alex Neil:

"I think during my time here, off the top of my head there have been five or six games where I have felt it has been unacceptable in terms of performance, and that was one of them.

"What I will say is that's pretty much the same team who have churned out so many games recently, but I don't want to make excuses, I will take full responsibility for today's performance and result.

"We need to get back to trying to play as well as we can and picking up wins because we haven't been getting the results.

"Everyone knows that goals change games. The second goal was a disappointing one to concede, and the third goal is a comedy of errors really and that finishes the game."

Doncaster boss Grant McCann:

"I thought we were outstanding today. I'm particularly proud of the response after we conceded.

"We stayed mentally strong and re-established control. From that goal we were again the better team and the team who looked most likely to win.

"I told the players before the game to go and show that they can compete at this level and I think they've done that.

"It is a great feeling to be in the fourth round, it has been a long time since the club got so far. We are all excited to see who we will get drawn against."