1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plymouth up next....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Jan 10, 2023.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Very frustrating, we've drawn too many games recently, arguably on paper they're good points problem is teams around us are in form so we need to step up another level otherwise we will be in the playoffs. Fair play to Plymouth though how they've got a team like they have with the resources at their disposal and go toe to toe with us and come out so far on top is impressive. I feel alot of the games recently the opposition number has outdone McKenna tactically.

Can't comment too much in the performance other than what I've heard. I know people have said we shouldn't have replaced Burns with KVY but I can understand that and he's still a decent player in forward positions. For me I don't think we've been getting the best out of Morsy in recent games, I've only really seen him dominate games from deep, he's been decent when he's played further up the pitch but I've not seen him have the same influence on a game and I was disappointed not to see Humphreys start given his performance against Rotherham.

Given how good we are at keeping possession it has always puzzled me recently how we sit back trying to hold on to a lead. Given the players we have we should strangle the life out of a game.

We've along way to go and hopefully the signings will give us a bit of an extra boost, as I feel we need it to keep pace with those around us. The next month is where McKenna will earn his money, he's created a great TEAM environment and a style of play, given the resources at our disposal we should be in those top 2 places.

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

While we are all naturally disappointed, my observations are as follows, even tho iFollow tried to ruin the game by pausing, stopping my viewing whether I was Holland,. Greece or Spain next door to Spanish going wild on his 5th drink, yelling at the Ref for the umpteenth stupid decision!

Several players had an off day. Wobbly Walton made many silly kicks and gave the ball away too often. Key players couldnt pass properly. Blame the surface, the tension, the oppo press, no, they are all professionals.

The most significant period was of course the long Plymouth injury break. We were pushing, on the front foot and in the groove. Then all the momentum went. We always seem to lose gear and momentum.
    KM made poor decisions and went all defensive when we should have brought on more attacking players to drive home our possession and not sit back inviting them to come at us. We are hopeless at defending 1 or even 2 goal leads. We are not that mentally resilient. This has to be coached and learnt. We have thrown away too many points needlessly, not thru other teams brilliant play either.

I was puzzled why Aluko didnt figure at all, maybe the sickness. Ladapo is a twin edged player, frustrating at times, poor shooting etc but does hold the ball up and drags the oppo with him. Maybe Hirst & Broadhead to come on as a pairing, when they are ready and fit to play. They of course need to adjust to our style.

We do need a strong leader who bosses it in central defense. Hopefully he is in for January and on KM shortlist by now.

We lost the midfield dominance and I wanted young Humphreys on from the start. Morsy had an uncharacteristic poor game.
    But, all said and done, I dont share the grief and anger of a few. We are half way in this long season. KM and the players must learn from this type of game. Credit to Plymouth, they came at us and pressed hard most of the game and didnt allow us to play our style for most of the 1st half.

We are adrift and if we get that vital run of winnable games, all is not lost. Plymouth have a tricky few games ahead and Weds come to PR, where once again, the amazing support should rock them off their fortress, if we play to our strengths.

I am still excited by this season, with its ups and downs. At our best, we are unplayable, at worst, we sink down the the miserable play-offs. The best Ipswich needs to turn up every game.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I think the big occasion got to Walton, his distribution got progressively worse and he almost got caught in possession more than once, maybe the defenders not getting into good positions to receive the ball
    didnt help but he didnt seem his usual self.
    Thats 15 points weve lost while in leading positions and although not every time it appears to tie in with McKs subs, we seem to think that sitting back and defending and seeing out the time is a way to protect a lead which quite honestly a fool can see that we are not good at it, so why do it?
    We also have to remember that this is McKs first management job and hes only been in the post for a year with a completely new team and not all signings work out so mistakes will be made, but we have to learn from them if we are to get out of this lousy division complete with lousy officials.

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

You are right about Walton, FM, like a rabbit scared in headlights. Distribution from the keeper is such an important part of the game. It can shape a new move and provide a new attack platform.

Hopefully he will return to his best soon.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Redruth likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on. But if we give McKenna time to learn on the job, are we in danger of key elements of the team being dismantled in the summer? In some areas we seem to not be improving but actually going backward. Can we improve and go again next year?

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Wow,it’s a good job the Cobbolds weren’t so short-termist!

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Personally happy with the direction we are headed in and honestly think we will go up this year!!

8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Spanish, if we win all the next 8 games, I will try to get to you the next time I am in Spain, and buy you a round!

Spanish likes this.