1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plymouth - Shrewsbury

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Lenny, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Ball in the mixer. FLETCHER! OOH WHAT A GOAL!

Sorry. That's enough about the Manchester Derby earlier in the season, and time to go onto the matter in hand with Argyle Town's victims for this weekend. Plymouthy Wymouthy. This is a game which one would expect us to win: away to second-bottom, cash-strapped, not very good Plymouth. However that can't be the case, I hear you cry. They were in the Championship not long ago. How can it be that they're heading no the ignominy of non-league football with the likes of Wrexham <laugh>, Telford <laugh> and Halifax <yikes>? Well, they had fewer players at the start of the season than Carl Regan has career goals. That's essentially their story, although they have heroically avoided the total humiliation of administration. I mean, if my team went into Administration, I would go to their sort of near rivals, and start supporting them instead.

However, if we set aside for one moment the fact that Plymouth are total crap, they aren't that bad. They have put in some decent performances recently, and, backed by a vociferous crowd (as witnessed at the start of the season), will provide a tough test.

Plymouth:
    • Recent Form: WDDLWL
    • Top Scorers: Walton (8); Chadwick (5); Atkinson (4)
    • Last Meeting: Shrewsbury 1-1 Plymouth (McAllister, Wroe)
    • League Position: 23[SUP]rd[/SUP], 32 points from 36 games, GD -18
    • Home Record: W3 D7 L7 F17 A22

Shrewsbury:
    • Recent Form: WLWDDW
    • Away Record: W6 D4 L8 F23 A23
    • League Position: 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 65 points from 35 games, GD 18

Lenny's SUPER Fact: Only Hereford boast a worse home record than Plymouth in League Two.
    Lenny's GRANDISON Fact: In fine print on the last page of the Guinness Book of World Records it notes that all world records are held by Grandison, and those listed in the book are simply the closest anyone else has ever got.
    Lenny's Prediction: Plymouth 1-1 Shrewsbury (O.G from someone, attendance 6401)

2. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Would Lenny be a WUM by any chance?

Thanks for stating the obvious!

3. ManFeelings

ManFeelings Member

If my team went into administration i'd support the AFC which rose from flames. Plymouth 0-3 Shrews (Bhasera OG, Jacobson, Collins)

We're due to give someone a tonking. Att:6236

4. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Nope. Posted on your board on the off-chance that there were fans on here, nice to see there are! I don't know enough about all the other teams in League Two to post an eloquent, three-paged match preview sadly, just a thread to post predictions on really.

I wasn't 100% serious ;)

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Clearly somebody with a sense of humour Mrs lalala rather than a WUM which makes a change. This is a hard one to call. Not sure whether it will be Argyle 3 - 0 Shrewsbury or Argyle 2 - 1 Shrewsbury. Which defence will turn up for us is always the hardest question. The result of which way it goes is nailed on so that isn't my dilema. Think I'll go 2 - 1. Goals for will be Chadwick and Hemmings. Goal against will be some bizaar result of a Ref decision so I'll give it to him now.

6. Plymjools

Plymjools Active Member
    Forum Moderator

This one is a hard one to call, it depends on which Argyle team turn up, it will either be a 1 - 0 defeat due to a poor decision by the ref or a 2 - 1 win (goals coming from Purse/McDonald/Chadders/Walton/Bhasera/Youngy.

May the best team on the day be the one that wins and not the one by a bad refereeing decision. :emoticon-0138-think

7. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not worried about who the best team is Gat-Po..........as long as Argyle win.........I think we're owed a few because of poor Refereeing over the season.

8. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

You guys seem to have an active board, that's for sure!

Anyway, it seems just about every team in the League is incensed with their fair share of awful decisions over the course of the last few seasons, but I think we take the biscuit with Wigglesworth wanderers. Give any Town fan the mention of a dodgy decision, and that will come up!

9. ManFeelings

ManFeelings Member

I don't jump on the bandwagon about the Gornell foul, because a) Having seen the replay it doesn't look like a foul and b) who doesn't get their fair share of aggrieved pennos every season anyway? The Ainsworth disgrace however wasn't opinion- it was proved that the ball didn't cross the line AND it cost us promotion. <steam>

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This season we have had one decent Ref, and by that I mean fair and the same for both sides, and one average one. The rest have been apaullingly bad. There is no way the season could even itself up decision wise unless we get 3 opposition sent off and 5 penalties in each remaining game.

Most of us are only hanging on until the season is over so we can turn out the lights at Home Park and lock the gates. And of course we meet up once a month for an orgy. Except plymborn who can't get his zimmer up the stairs to the bedrooms.<yikes>

11. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

time for a few facts.
    fact 1 they are owned by a consortium headed by a multi millionaire james brent, a very nice chap
    fact 2 argyle had to sell their ground to the council
    fact 3 argyle went into admin
    fact 4 argyle are not total crap

argyle have had an apalling 15 months caused by inept administration.

i recall argyle secured a 1-1 draw at the meadow on the opening day of the season. i go for a similar score on saturday. town may find argyle have already bottomed and i expect wright to score our goal. green army are on their way back,. travelling north in the league, i urge town not to underestimate argyle. floreat salopia!

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's why I live in a bungalow sensible........I had to take the little wheels off of my zimmer......it was running away with me......I couldn't keep up with it.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The problem after that draw atcham jack was that we lost 8 on the trot.

14. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

I do believe they haven't been in admin this season since they haven't been deducted 10 points.

I also recognise that they are a decent enough team - my tongue in cheek style doesn't appeal to everyone, I know!

15. Hounded Out By Morons

Hounded Out By Morons Well-Known Member

The bad news is-----I will be there on Saturday and the last 2 away matches I have attended Shrewsbury have lost.

Plymouth 2 (Victor Hugo, Jean Racine) Shrewsbury 1 (Sawyers)

Attendance 6662

16. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Oh God!

Mind, predicting a loss is always a good sign!

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Lenny, we were in Administration at the start of the season and didn't come out of it until after Christmas. We started the season with barely a squad and half the side was made up of kids promoted out of the youth set up. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves for not winning on day one. We got one point out of the first nine matches. Life has been a barrel of laughs all season and in fact for the last 3 seasons. Tongue in cheek is always appreciated as long as it's the right cheek and it's your own.

18. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Just so our Shrewsbury friends understand how we got here, we went INTO administration in March 2011 and were deducted 10 points in the 2010/2011 season.

All our best players were sold, including a few who are doing pretty well elsewhere - Mackie at QPR, Wright-Phillips at Charlton and Noone at Brighton. We started season with a bunch of youngsters, some so young that someone remarked they needed booster seats in the team coach. As a result, we gave everyone else a 10 game start, with only 1 point to show from the first 10 games - courtesy of errmm Shrewsbury.

We came out of administration at the end of October. Since then, new players have come in and we've taken 22 points from 22 league games by my calculation. We have stopped being thumped - we've lost by 2 goals only in the league only once since the start of November. We are however getting far too many draws (11 out of the 22) and not enough wins.

Prediction? Somewhere between PAFC 4 - 0 Shrewsbury (if the PAFC team that played Accrington turn up) or PAFC 0 - 2 Shrewsbury (if the team that played Torquay is on display). Best bet? A draw.

19. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

So why didn't you have points deducted?

Unfortunately, we seem to be profligate with our home form this season to teams in the lower reaches of the table - three of the only four teams to come away with anything from the Meddah this season are yourselves, Northampton and Wimbledon. We have beaten Swansea, Swindon and Crawley at home, but not Northampton.

However, we started the season slowly as well - I was on holiday for the early part of the season and, if I remember correctly, Swansea was my first game of the season - I missed Plymouth, Swindon and Crewe at home as well as Burton and Derby away (which I would have gone to).

Interesting and random fact: I've only ever seen Town lose once.

20. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

I see. That makes my previous post look slightly foolish, although I was under the impression that if you started the season in admin then you were deducted ten points.

Anyway, I do see you're a decent side - I have marked this one down as our hardest remaining fixture and can't see us winning it.

I can't be there this weekend, but the atmosphere should be pretty darn good. Best of luck!