1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Players on Loan

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Despite the new and more competitive U21 league, it's pretty clear that Jol will nonetheless use the loan system to guage the effectiveness of players on the fringe of the 1st team squad. The first of these could be Matthew Briggs (again) -

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/08/07/fulham-boss-to-decide-on-defender-s-future-82029-31568257/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

[Wasn't quite sure which thread to post this under because the underlying logic may be that Jol still hasn't given up on signing Alexander Buttner.]

2. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Happy for him to use the loan system, although for younger players- given our new Tier 1 status- it might not be worth them training with another club, although a loan does give them match-day experience.

I get the feeling its not going to happen for Briggs at Fulham- I'd like to be wrong, but he's been on the fringes for a while now.

3. Cottager58

Yeah, I suspect your right about Briggs silkship. And I take your point about 'younger players' - should have been clearer what I meant by 'on the fringe'. I was getting at player's who really had passed the development phase (like Briggs, Trotta, Dalla Valle, Della verde, Hoesen) and will need to prove they have the temprament/attitude as individuals can make the step up.

4. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

The loan system seems a good idea if we can get them into a championship side my choice for a season loan would be Briggs, Minkowitz,
    and Donnigan.

5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

May be if we still want Rhodes we could put someone like Briggs or Donnigan out on loan to Huddersfield as part of the plan.

Think what Briggs is lacking is defensive quality and concentration, he seems to have the ability to take on defenders and cross balls,
    may be he could do a better job wide midfield. It's a bit of a dilemma as we don't have cover at left back for Riise. So I wouldn't put
    him on loan unless we get an experienced LB for cover.

It would seem that the Reserve games at Motspur Park are all going to be played behind closed doors according to the Club website.

6. RobespierreFFC

Its a delicate situation regarding Briggs, somewhat similar to the situation with Stockdale in goal. They both have experienced but quality players in front of them, who will be with us for the foreseeable future and barring a significant improvement for Briggs and Stockdale, they will unfortunately remain merely squad players. Neither will be getting any younger and one does wonder how patiently they're prepared to wait as back ups before getting a chance. I'd suggest both would get into a lower premier league team's 1st XI and I fear the longer they have to wait for a chance with us, the less likely we are to see them establish themselves as top Fulham players.

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Briggs get a run as a winger, similar to Bale. He looked great bombing forward in the early stages of the Europa last season, not bad for a centre back!

8. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

I personally do not see Briggs or Stockdale as part of Fulhams long term future.
    I would love to see them both prove me wrong.
    Re: Briggs my feeling is Jol cannot afford to
    make him a permanent fixture,or analyse his ability on the few past 1st team appearances,thus the
    possible reason for him to be a long term loaned out player.

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's an interesting point, Bidley, but would you pick him ahead of Kaca or Frei? Rodallega might well be earmarked to play wide left now as well. If Dan Burn has moved ahead of him as a centre-back, his best chance of gametime (barring injury to Riise) may well be as a holding midfielder in the centre.

I agree that his chance to grab a starting slot and make an impact may well have passed. He might do better to go elsewhere. Shame if he does.

10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

That's true. I was just thinking out loud, really.

I think he could still be Riise's long term replacement if he improves the defensive side of his game. Riise is 32 next month...

11. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think Briggs in left midfield could work better away from home, when we will tend to
    be more defensive minded. Both he and Riise could cover each other, when the other
    bombs forward. One of my Big worries from last season was Riise's inability to track back
    quickly enough, leaving Hangeland to cover the left back slot and weaken the center of defense.
    Frei and Kaca are more attack minded, while Duff seems to operate more on the right side.

12. Captain Morgan

Duff has operated more on the right side, but he has played (and played well) on the left before now, for us and for other clubs. I think he'd be a better option there than Briggs. Briggs could do a job for us, but there are several players who would do a better one at left wing. That's Briggs' big problem - like Chris Baird, he seems to be a long way down the pecking order in several positions.

13. Cottager58

14. Cottager58

David Stockdale

The Club are letting it be known that he is available for loan -

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/08/14/82029-31619218/

Not wholly surprising since he was always going to be behind Shwarzer and the other keepers really need to get game time. Makes me a bit nervous though that Etheridge, although he has been away on International duty over the summer, could get his first real exposure in the premiership - would have preferred him to be the one going out on loan. I guess it also explains why Somogyi has been kept on.

15. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

Personally I am not to enthused at either Stockdale, or Etheridge,as our long term keepers.
    I think we should buy an established keeper,and see over the next couple of seasons if one of our talented
    youngsters can step up.
    Alternating with Swartz I would like to see Vorm added to our squad.

16. Cottager58

17. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

Good thought there Cottager

18. Captain Morgan

Why don't we stick in a bid for Reina while we're at it, Roscafre, or Joe Hart? Swansea aren't going to sell Vorm, and if they did his performances last season mean he'd go to a bigger club than us. If we want players like Vorm, we have to sign them before they are established in the Premier League. And I don't think alternating keepers works well for anyone.

Like you, I am less certain of Stockdale than I was this time last year, but I wouldn't write either him or Etheridge off just yet. Fortunately Schwarzer isn't yet showing any signs of decline, and has said that he intends playing on for at least two more seasons to take him to another World Cup. Let's hope he stays free from injuries.

19. Cottager58

20. Cottager58

Danny Hoesen

Anyone know about him? Obviously he's back from last year's loan and there were rumours about a sale that fell through because of our asking price. However I didn't pick him up in any of the pre-season games (including the U21s) and having searched the new web site, can't find him anywhere.