1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Players for next season

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by flandersmackem, Apr 5, 2018.

1. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Sadly we are now on the vinegar stroke of relegation and we can look forward to the joys of playing the likes of Fleetwood and Gillingham (Jesus...it's depressing just typing that).
    Anyway, onwards and upwards. Which of the current squad in an ideal world should we hang our hat on to get us out of that league ?
    I am guessing that the likes of Gooch, and Honeyman may still be around, Maja and Asoro may attract other teams, but I hope that we go with a young very hungry group of players.
    I would also like us to get in a player that the squad will rally around, much like Villa did with John Terry. What are your thoughts about who that may be ?

2. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I really don't want to see any of the premier league mercenaries anywhere near our team. Instead I would like to see a team form together over time.

I would like us to sign a few physical players who know their way around the lower leagues - dressing room characters.

3. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Start with who'll be there ?
    Matthews Love
    Gooch Honeyman Robson Cattermole McNair
    Asoro Maja Watmore
    I could see the rest moving on, Steele, Ruiter, Jones, O'Shea,Kone Oveido McGeady Mcmanaman Rodwell.
    Have I missed anyone ?

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

5. The Little General

I'm going to renew mine and the bairns, as many say, its the Club I support, my Club. Not Ellis Short or the other knackers.
    We won't come through this if we don't. Please god let all those sniping t wats who spoil the atmosphere be the ones who don't
    It would send a message out if 25,000 plus renew. KTF :emoticon-0165-muscl

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

For the love of god please can we finally get rid of Cattermole and O'Shea once and for all. Neither will be any better in lower leagues, you'd have to go to walking football for them to find their speed.

Get rid, replace and move on.

7. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

The one good thing about our squad is that it doesn’t matter who goes as they are all ****e.

Someone wrote on here not long ago that when we lost a player it made us stronger because there was a bit less ****e left.

I would like to keep Gooch and Honeyman (the Duracell bunnies) and Asoro.
    The rest can go.
    Chances are, someone will buy Asoro.
    I quite like Oviedo but I expect him to go as well.
    I think we will be left with all the ones nobody else wants and who have time left on their contracts.
    O’Shea could be kept on as coach and emergency defender (5th or 6th choice)

8. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

We said this same time last season.

9. The Little General

I think we're stuck with Cattermole for 3 more years

10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Feck

11. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I'd be happy for anyone, apart from perhaps McNair and Watmore, who haven't come through our academy to go. It's been time for a rebuild for a while, surely this has to be the occasion when it happens.

12. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

When we go down most likely against Burton, play the reserves in the remaining games, lets see what they can do. Get a goal keeper who can actually punch a ball away from corners etc and that will be a start.

13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Keepers:
    Ruiter Steele Stryjek

Defenders:
    Matthews Love Hume

Midfielders:
    Cattermole Rodwell Honeyman Robson Embleton Gooch Molyneux

Forwards
    Watmore Asoro Maja Nelson

(17)

Sold:
    Kone Oviedo Ndong Khazri Djilobodji McNair Mcgeady Mcmanaman

I'm hoping we can somehow shift Cattermole and Rodwell, on even if it's for no fee. Those two alone are on more than most League One squads combined.

End of contract:
    Oshea Jones Wilson Beadling

Think we'll need to bring around 8-10 players in. First area that needs addressing is centre half. I have an awful feeling we'll offer Oshea a new 1 year deal. For me I'd renew Beadling's contract and bring in two experienced centre halves and another youngster.

I think our transfers will depend on if the takeover takes place. If it does I think we might be able to attract a better calibre of player that might be willing to drop down a league to join us.

Not sure whether they'd come but Matt Mills and David Wheater are free agents in the summer. They'd male a cracking centre back partnership in League 1.

There's also a few championship keepers free agents in the summer that are better than what we have.

Grant Leadbitter the last time I checked is out of contract in July. If I was the new owner I'd be trying to sell him the vision and see if he'd come home as captain

Whatever money is available needs to go on a proper centre forward.

14. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I've said elsewhere we need some tall 6' plus players who are the physical types we have missed this season.
    I'm all for keeping the young'uns they just need help as they are all on the small side.
    First player in has to be a capable keeper and use him alongside our young keeper, we need a physical team as Division 1 is anything but pretty.

15. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Just when I thought it was safe to come back on here!

rooch 3 and The Little General like this.
  16. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I thought he got his last contract from Poyet years ago.

I thought he only had another year to run

17. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

A player that has caught my eye on the highlights this season is Oztumer who plays for Walsall. We need players with experience in that league and he looks a cracking player. Centre forward with pace and bags of skill.

18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Something that’s really boring hard, Accrington Stanley are on the brink of promotion.

We will be in the same league as them next season.

That’s a really ****ing ridiculous state of affairs and for me brings home the demise of the club.

It’s been an absolute and utter foundations up obliteration by this **** Short.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  19. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Yep - Sack the Manager

The Little General likes this.
  20. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

I think we need to try and keep hold of the young lads who’ve been around the first team this year, though I suspect that someone will be in for Asoro over the summer. If we can keep them fit McNair and Watmore could be great next year, other than that I wouldn’t be sad to see the back of any of the rest (not including any young players who haven’t broke into the first team yet). Some players we desperately need rid of though i’m not sure we’ll manage to move the likes of Cattermole and Rodwell on.

I’d like to see us bring a mixture of young hungry players and experienced players in their late 20’s from leagues 1 and 2 or the Scottish leagues maybe. Also only having 3 or 4 loan players to supplement our squad, not interested in well known players from the prem or championship who are just looking for another pay day.