1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Piara Powar..

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Lucaaas, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

2. saintKlopp

What's a false consciousness anyway? Does he mean conscience?

3. saintKlopp

Fair enough- must have missed that last time I read Marx.:)
    That fits, I suppose, with the "coconut" jibe.
    If however, we get to the point where any non-white who doesn't think all white people are racist is accused of being an Uncle Tom then what good does that do in fostering good relations and reconciliation?

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The bloke might be a rude ignorant self serving hypocritical pig but that aint the same thing as being a racist. Maybe he should resign or be sacked but why does this challenge anything to do with suarez or LFCs bad handling of it. Let it goFFS

5. saintKlopp

Just that Suarez wasn't convicted of being racist either, but of inadvertently saying something that can be construed as racist.

6. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

remembercolinlee reckons calling a dark skinned man a coconut "aint the same thing as being racist" because he can tell which context it was meant in just by looking at the words on his computer screen.

So your wasting your time saint.

7. saintKlopp

I've been wasting my time for a while on this Page, but injustice and hypocrisy really annoy me so I keep trying.

8. Page_Moss_Kopite

Good luck.

<ok>

9. saintKlopp

Thanks.
    I work on the assumption that I might be able to appeal to someone's sense of reason or fair play.
    I give up when I realise they don't have any.

10. remembercolinlee

the term coconut is a term of insult .... Normally between two non white people. It is insulting but not racist. Racism is making a comment or behaving in a way that demeans or belittles someone or lots of people because of their colour or racial characteristics.
    Calling someone a coconut implies that you as a black person or non white person are in denial about your loyalties it doesnt belittle their race.
    My original post does not defend him...in fact it criticises him...I simply gave an opinion...fair enough not to agreebut do not claim i know people motives etc.
    And as i asked and you didnt answer what has this got to do with Suarez?

11. saintKlopp

Read back, I did give an answer.
    You may not agree with it, but it is an answer.

12. Page_Moss_Kopite

Its the context and meaning of the word together that matters,saying a dark skinned man is a coconut in London might be seen as light hearted but say it up here and its a racial slur.

Same as words and context are different in say South America and Britain for example.

13. remembercolinlee

I disagree its racist but i accept thats a matter of opinion so you dont have to agree. But i have said he was wrong context or not so deserves sacking....LFC refused to accept suarez did anything wrong even though the final report stated suarez wasnt a racist.
    I think these articles claiming or implying suarezis a victim rather than an ignorant fool are becoming tedious ... Hence my FFS give it a rest comment

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I'm Asian and I believe the term isn't exactly racist but it's still a reference to a person's skin colour, even inadvertently. The FA punished Suarez for using the term 'black/negro' and Piara has done exactly the same.

Also, I was watching this unfold on Twitter (yes, I have no life!) and Jim Boardman was asking Piara why he hasn't gone to the media and condemned Man Utd for the one ignorant fan , just as he did with LFC.

Piara then said he does not have to talk about every single incident and LFC have brought this on ourselves. His ignorant attitude is astounding and I hope he loses his position.

15. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

16. moreinjuredthanowen

sooooo.... according to some if a black man says the n word to another black man thats fine and if two guys who are not white call eachother what this guy called someon thats fine too.

<ok> that just goes to show doesn't it? the biggest offense caused in sport was many years ago when ali called an opponent an uncle tom... you tell me if the term used above is not the same....

offense = offense, ignorant, abusive, internet warriors think they can go do that without any come back.

I say if anyone is that bothered simply report the guy to the cops citing the terry case.

17. remembercolinlee

No one said it was ok so i dont know what your point is

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

You might not have said its "ok" but your words imply that to you its more palatable and ok if anyone except Suarez uses a word that might be seen as racially offensive in one place but not in another.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

excuse me but this is what you said

I think these articles claiming or implying suarezis a victim rather than an ignorant fool are becoming tedious ... Hence my FFS give it a rest comment

re-read the OP. ... in case you didn't notice the story has moved on form the actions of suarez. the OP never said anything or impleied anyhting about suarez being innocent. Thats YOUR assumption.

The fact is we've seen many high horses being mounted and being continued to be mounted by all and sundry.. the fact is the minute anyhting is posted indicating those posturing may just the types to have picked up and cast the first stone.. well along comes guys who bring it back to suarez and suarez only so then the article descends into what you say you are tired of... If you are that tired, either don't comment OR if you feel you have to then make it clear why you object to said article.

If you feel that the OP is implying suarez is innocent then say that... I can say he's not innocent and has served his ban. When gorund up and down the country continue to boo and heap abuse on him hel'll just have to take it, yet of course if we complain about that we'd have evra's booing pointed out. I was on record on this site before that game hoping nothing was done like singing pro suarez songs but i didn't expect or like said boos. Crowds do stuff. When someone throws something or is highlighted making offensive gestured there will not be as much press deliberate focus on it. thats what LFC fans expect and thats where the belief of unfairness comes from.

Simply put the silent majority believe suarez got his ban and a significant proportion believe that ban was too long. Most of us don't post suarez articles yet we have to hear this stuff all over the place.

There are several spurs wums going through lfc baord threads trying to ruin them this weekend just beacuse we play on monday and are using racism as an excuse... in other words hiding thier own low morals under the false high horse.

20. remembercolinlee

Lucas...interesting story but I dont agree its racist. I think its ****ty , foul etc but like i said its just my opinion.
    Liverpool and suarez and many pool fans refuse to accept he was wrong and deserved to be found guilty of misconduct ...not sure theres ever going to be agreement on this apart from the general issue of the fifa guy being an offensive prick.