1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Petition to change EFL governance

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Tangerino, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

A message to ALL football fans, regardless of which club you follow;

Blackpool Supporters Trust has recently created a government petition with the following aim;

The Government must introduce an independent regulator for English football. We urge the Government to introduce an independent regulator for English football, charged with ensuring the highest possible standards of governance for all clubs.

The troubles we have endured at Blackpool FC during the Oyston ownership are well documented and make unbelievable reading, which has culminated in the Oystons being made to pay Valeri Belokon over £30m.

Blackpool FC has become a by-word in the football community for mismanagement and crisis, and yet after a period several years, nothing has been done. The EFL shows no sign that it understands what its leadership role in this area should be, and as it clearly can’t - or won’t - rise to the challenge, then we feel that the Government must step in to lead the process of fundamental reform that is clearly needed.

Blackpool is not the only club in such circumstances. Other 'crisis' clubs include AFC Wimbledon, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Coventry City, Fulham, Leyton Orient, Leeds United.

Football clubs are too precious and too much a part of the fabric of our national life, to be left to the mercy of unregulated and often unscrupulous ownership. They need the protection of a robust regulatory framework that offers a range of sanctions against wrongdoers, mechanisms that allow problems to be confronted before they become deep-rooted and a governing body that has the desire to use it.

As football fans, I would ask that you join us in trying to bring about change within the game and hopefully prevent future owners from loading clubs with debt, asset stripping and running clubs into the ground.

We are all fans and we should stick together to ensure the clubs we love are owned and managed properly.

The petition can be found here – https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

Thank you all for your support and if you have Twitter, please feel free to tweet this or add on Facebook - get this message out there!! If you are a member of your club's fans forum, please post this on there for us to spread the word - we as fans are all in this together.

Please let us know if you sign it, or even disagree with the petition by adding a comment/thumbs up. You can also sign the petition if you are browsing as a guest on this forum.

2. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely agree something needs to be done BUT isn't this a case of after the horse has bolted. As harsh as this may sound, Blackpool supporters took the glory and paid the price. I think most supporters on here would tell you i never want to see the Premier League for my club, i do not want to sell my soul, maybe if a lot of those that followed at the top tier respected their club beyond the glory, we would be able to protect ourselves. I think this is a two way street, yes it needs to be regulated but we the supporters are destroying our own clubs by the demands we put on them every week. Everything has a price, I was speaking to some Fleetwood supporters only recently in regards to Blackpool and there was not much love loss, yes that's rivalry but you also have to look at the price that glory brought you and there is some typical examples in your list, none other than Leyton Orient, wanted to buy their way pass us, now look at them National League. Charlton Athletic the fans only turn up when their winning. AFC Wimbledon are we talking now or then. Don't take this the wrong way i'm not knocking it but you've also got to face the arguments, that you can regulate as much has you want, I've never knocked Scally at our club, and there is reason for that simply because we all need to take responsibility of what we wish for. I read these words else where, to allow Blackpool to return to "its former glory"- and there lays your problem.

Good Luck with your Petition.

3. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

Some really good points there and getting to the prem was a disaster for the club. It accelerated the ingrained issues that already existed at the club.

I am from Fleetwood and I would love them to do well. At least Andy Pilley backs the club.

brb likes this.
  4. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

Thanks for the like brb.

5. brb

brb CR250

No problem. I'm a bit of an outspoken type of guy about stuff like this and i thought your response to my contrary was well worded.

I certainly wish Blackpool all the best as i do any club outside of the Premier League.

You probably don't realise i moderate the whole site, so i was checking out what you was up to <laugh>

Hull is probably the biggest club board on here, so you did well to choose them lads, and whatever you do keep away from GC - don't ask why just stick to the English/Welsh club boards.

Tangerino likes this.
  6. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

Thank you.

This is not about Blackpool FC per se, it is about trying to ensure that NO clubs have to endure what loads of clubs in turmoil have been through in the future. The EFL do nothing when fans contact them and protests against the way clubs are being run are received. We want all fans to have a voice and make the EFL more accountable for mis-management and issues being raised, instead of cozying up the club owners.

There are loads of clubs out that that hve been shafted and the EFL have stood by and let it happen. It is time this stopped. Fans are not to be marginalised, we have a voice and are the lifeblood of the clubs we love. Without fans, football is nothing.

Any chance of making this a sticky on all clubs forums for us? If you don't ask you don't get :)

7. brb

brb CR250

I've stuck the thread on this board. For the other boards you need to speak to the club moderator, it don't go down well when admin interferes on other boards. The Hull mod is Originallambrettaman. I see the mod Albert's Chip Shop deleted you off the Newcastle board, probably because you did not follow etiquette, hence why i suggest asking the individual mods first. Some mods will have staff member or Forum moderator under their username, others you will have to guess because they would have requested me to remove the label.

8. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

No probs, I will do that. Thank you very much for your help.

9. Tangerino

Tangerino Active Member

For info, a quick update from BST;s website;

BST’s petition went live on the parliamentary website last week and will run for six months to 22nd August 2018. It has gained 5,000 signatures in the first week but requires 100,000 people to sign to trigger parliamentary action.

What is it that most annoys football supporters? It’s not necessarily a draw or a defeat when they might have hoped for a victory. It’s under-performance, when players don’t give their all to try and turn a situation around. By extension, as fans we all have it in our power to try and make a positive difference in the way our game is run. We can all step up to the challenge. It takes just a few minutes to overcome the apathy, log on to the website and support a petition that could start to turn our situation around. This is the link to the petition:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/213108

Please support it today and encourage everyone you know to do the same.

In parallel with that parliamentary petition, and in addition to our formal communications with the League, the Trust is also supporting the public campaign to put pressure of the EFL to act in regard to fans’ concerns.

The EFL has indicated in the last 24 hours that it is willing to hold a meeting with Blackpool fans’ groups, Blackpool MPs and the Gazette newspaper during March to discuss the situation.

Apparently ‘attendees will be given the opportunity to raise their concerns and EFL officials will endeavour to provide answers wherever possible and explain its position on a number of matters that have previously been raised in the public domain.’

Today’s planned demonstration outside EFL headquarters in Preston is intended to reinforce for the EFL the principle that fans are vital stakeholders in the game and to show the strength of our dissatisfaction with their response to date when it comes to dealing with rogue owners.. BST encourages all who are available to join this protest against the way that football is currently governed. It is important that the protest is peaceful and law-abiding, that it should make its legitimate point without intimidating either members of the public or EFL employees.

There is a train from Blackpool South at 13:48 (the ‘EFL Special’ to Preston) but for those who can't make that train, the plan is to meet at Preston Station for 14.30pm and then to march down Fishergate for the Fans United protest outside EFL House. BST has agreed to be a point of contact/liaison for Lancashire Police, who are happy with the arrangements.

BBC TV’s Question Time was broadcast from Blackpool last night. BST members were in the audience and hoping to pose a question about the state of affairs at Blackpool FC and its impact on the town, to get the thoughts of the panel and to give the issue of rogue ownership some national exposure. By the time you are reading this we will know if they were successful.

Finally, the Trust is pleased to announce that BST committee member, Tony Wilkinson, has been elected to the board of the Supporters’ Direct England and Wales Football Council for a 3 year term. Congratulations go to Tony. He will do a wonderful job representing football fans everywhere as well as being a great ambassador for BST.