1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Penalties today?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by merrysupersteve, Apr 17, 2011.

1. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

Both correct? I thought so. Was amazed by hom many scousers "randomly" thought Liverpool's pen was harsh. Luis Suaez has scored 2 goals in 3 months so obviously I'm in no position to criticise.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think both were pretty dodgy. Under a strict application of the rules they were both penalties, but then again so was Berbatov's against Liverpool. The contact in both was relatively minimal and both players were looking for a penalty. I think they both could have made more effort to stay on their feet, but then very few players make that effort in the area nowadays, particularly when they're desparate for a win.

The Arsenal one was a stronger shout in my opinion - the 'pool defender did catch Fabregas' leg, but the ball was long gone by then. Lucas was definitely fishing for the Liverpool one - when he feels Eboue touch him he pulls his leg back in the air to make himself fall. But then Liverpool should have had a penalty in the first half.

3. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

My God. What an awful article. I really need to stop posting whilst drunk! Eboue is an idiot though and shouldn't have given the ref a decision to make.

4. TheStrettyEnd

TheStrettyEnd Member

Lol, I thought you were a little tipsy when I read this last night.

As for suarez I think he is a good player, very skillful but never will have a great PL scoring record like in the dutch league. He isnt in the Alves or Kezman level of poorness nor is he in the RVN level of greatness. He is a skilful player version of kuyt imo, will work hard and cause problems, but I dont see him bringing anything like his goal record that he had in the dutch league.

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree - if he progresses well he's gonna be a top class second striker, but never a 30 goal a season man. I reckon he may well turn into a Bergkamp esque player, abeit with better dribbling but less creativity and passing skill. Bergkamp was banging in the goals for Ajax, but when he came to the PL he adapted and became a provider rather than an out and out scorer. Imo Carroll's future goalscoring form is going to have a much greater bearing on how the scousers do in future...