1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Pedestrian Rights gone Mad

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Woody, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Woody

Woody Well-Known Member

Well, I saw the future for us poor motorists today. Driving on the main road coming up to traffic lights on a pedestrian crossing on green for me and surprise surprise, a man strode straight out onto the crossing giving me the stare that told me in no uncertain terms that it was his road and his right to walk on it whenever. Not quite an emergency stop needed but definitely took some life from my brake shoes.
    There are going to be major problems .... and then we have cyclists who already think they own the road, tax-free.

Makemstine Roger and Nozs’ Hat like this.
  2. Nozs’ Hat

Nozs’ Hat Well-Known Member

I’m just waiting for the teenage scroates to catch on and start walking out in front of cars all the time.

Nig likes this.
  3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

There's a zebra crossing outside my house that every other car just doesn't stop for.

I stand there with a pushchair and a lot of cars don't even consider slowing, never mind stopping.

Both sides of this argument can be outright ****s.

One of them is a bag of flesh and bone, the other is steel.

4. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

If we want to turn into a side road but there is a person stood at the edge of the pavement waiting to cross the side road (or even looking like they want to cross - maybe being stood there chatting on their phone) then we now have to give way to them - thus causing a disruption to traffic on the main road.

Also pedestrians, cyclists and horses now have priority over motor vehicles even on the main road.

This, as the OP has already mentioned, is going to be a scratter's piss-taking charter - they will, at some risk to themselves, be jumping out in front of vehicles (effectively playing 'chicken') but it will be the driver's fault if they get hit!

This just seems to introduce more danger for pedestrians (young kids will get into the habit of walking straight across these side junctions) and there will be serious injuries and deaths as a result.

Not only that, we vehicle users now have to use the 'Dutch Reach' every time we open our door to get out (even if you can see there are no cyclists for miles around) or risk being fined a couple of grand. Hell, we have to leave a car's width whenever we pass a cyclist so why the hell can't cyclists be instructed to not pass on the inside of a vehicle and to leave the same distance when passing on the outside of a vehicle?!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  5. Ginnanson

Ginnanson Active Member

Insulate Britain will be calling themselves pedestrians now <doh>

6. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

the vehicle, being made of metal, should always have right of way as anything smaller or flesh and bones is going to come off second best.

'automating' tasks in vehicles should also be stopped asap...story today i read of a lassies car being reversed into, the other driver apologised and told her 'it did not bleep until i hit you'...so obviously taking not a jot of notice of what was around him and relying on his sensors to stop him hitting something, what if it had been a child or pram he went into.

'driverless vehicles' are some fart-brained tossers idea of a good idea, if a reversing sensor can decide to not work, what about many other sensors that will be needed, also, one of the biggest problems with modern cars are the electricals yet the feckwits want self driving electric vehicles on the roads...how long afore the rest of the feckwits discover that walking/jumping in front of a vehicle will activate it's emergency stop, then now long afore those sensors fail and people get killed?

Nordic, Oldsandy, Draig and 3 others like this.
  7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

A prick I used to work with was slagging another bloke off because he had a damaged bumper and he had reversing sensor's.
    I asked him "aren't them parking sensors on your car". ?

"Yes" he replied.

"So how come you have got a damaged rear bumper" ?

"Well I turned them off didn't I because the beeping was getting on my nerves".

<doh> :eek: <laugh> nob

8. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Isn't their solution to this that we all hire cars 1-3 year old then they are recycled. There will be no privately owned bangers like my 13 year old diesel allowed on the road...

Makemstine Roger and samwise_new like this.
  9. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

I’m a regular cyclist and will possibly limp a bit less and live a bit longer as a result. Try to stay healthy and do the right thing for the environment and I don’t understand why we’re hated so much.

Oldsandy and Southern A like this.
  10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

My son is about to become a cyclist for a while... he has accumulated 12 speeding points. In court next month...Will try and cough up cash instead...

11. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Cyclists are hated by some drivers because they look at some idiots on bikes the same as drivers are hated by some cyclists because they look at some idiots in cars.
    Then both sets tar all with the same brush.
    I say this as a driver, cyclist and motorcyclist. :D

12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Agreed, some motorists/bikers think its okay to blast past horses and ponies also... that is very dangerous

13. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Same here - car, 2 motorbikes and one bike. The argument that we don't pay tax as cyclists boils my piss - I pay 3 lots of road tax but can only use 1 vehicle at a time

Godfrey, Nordic, Oldsandy and 2 others like this.
  14. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Ah but nobody pays road tax.
    Nobody has since about 1938.
    It's emissions tax.
    Hence electric cars have no tax the same as bicycles.
    So next time your on your bike and some dick shouts "pay road tax"
    You can shout back, nobody pays road tax you fùcking prick" .
    :emoticon-0148-yes: :emoticon-0136-giggl

15. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Edit, it was 1937 when road tax was abolished.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it personally.

If drivers of all vehicles drove to a good standard and had respect, awareness, consideration and common sense, none of this would be necessary. Unfortunately there is a fair proportion of ****ers on the road who don't have any of this. I include cyclists in this too as I have seen more than enough of them behaving like utter pricks. Whenever new rules come into force blame the pricks as it is always down to them. We have a country of speed humps, cameras and ever increasing regulation because people don't behave themselves. In an environment where we are trying to eradicate human nature and behaviour all this is bound to happen and unless we reverse our current thinking its only going to get worse. Rather than making life worse for all we should be targeting the road users who are behaving badly and hit them as hard as possible to make others change their behaviours. If that doesn't work just stop them using the roads permanently when they are caught.

17. samwise_new

not heard that in all honesty, maybe the govt. way of making more money out of the fact they will lose all that car tax as they will no doubt assume full control over it all.

even then, that is no guarantee everything will work perfectly.

18. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I can give you quite a few reasons mate<ok>

Makemstine Roger and Nig like this.
  19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Whilst I completely agree with what you say, if “children” get their hands on buttons, these can turn off sensors. (Happened to me). However, I have mirrors and a thing on top of my body which I can turn left and right to check the surrounding area (usually called a head but has other names too). I also have a reversing camera! There are no excuses for reversing into someone!!

samwise_new likes this.
  20. samwise_new

exactly, but people are starting to rely on these 'gadgets' while driving rather than using the equipment they were born with...i doubt anything will replace that old drivers intuition.