1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Pogba will make £89m Man Utd move look cheap, says Jose Mourinho

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've not bothered reading the article but even now the 80m paid for Ronaldo despite everything he's achieved, doesnt look cheap. It's 80m ffs! <laugh> Yeh it may be the case in the future that buying back Pogba was a good decision. But it will never be considered cheap ffs.

And tbh if we want to focus on Pogba's ability and performance on the pitch, then we really need to move on from his purchase price and stop going on about it. You don't see RM going on about the 80m they paid for Ronaldo... and we all know why.

Christiansmith likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Spot on. At least you've coated your "realism " with some positivity. Are you well today? :bandit: <laugh>

Of course the price is high. No player that United want to buy will come cheap. Always add at least a 25% premium. If Real or Barcelona wanted to buy him I'd say they'll easily pay £65-70m. We have this week seen how Barcelona could have done with him in their powder puff midfield.

That is why Wenger IMO is in trouble at Arsenal. He is looking for value for money and in football there is no such thing (or at least is rare). It is about supply and demand. When a top player becomes potentially available, and is "worth" about £30m, there is absolutely no way his transfer fee will be that price. Benteke went for £32m FFS!

Treble likes this.
  4. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

I think what he is saying is 89 million will be nothing soon because that will be about the normal price for top players in the next few seasons

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That is exactly what he is saying, he never once made the comment in the headline. Same old problem of people not being able to read <ok>

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

"I am pretty sure that next summer some players with only half his quality probably will cost the same money or more, so I am waiting for that moment to release him from the scrutiny.
    "A few years ago £25m was a phenomenal player. Today, £25m is not even a player, it is a prospect of a player. Now if you want to buy a good prospect, a good 20-year-old player who can be fantastic, you are paying as if the player is already a big player.
    "I think the next summer can bring a few surprises at this level and probably Paul will lose his status as the world's most expensive player, which is probably a good thing."

The actual quote.

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I dunno - almost 400 goals later, two CLs and numerous awards and the fee paid for Ronaldo looks like a bargain. Particularly if you compare it to recent ones like Torres, Di Maria etc.

Ultimately it is going to be harder for Pogba to provide that kind of evidence given he's a CM and so can't look to hit that type of goal scoring target. But remember that £3.75m for Keane seemed like a massive amount back in the 90s, hard to find anyone who would argue that wasn't an absolute bargain.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh don't get me wrong the return is well worth the money paid for Ronaldo. But you could say that if he'd been bought for £200m. It's just the figure of £80m that seems obscene. It's a fair shout to point out Keane's price. I remember Robson as a record signing for 1.8m was another that got the headlines. I still don't think they were considered ridiculous amounts though, just excessive.

9. Christiansmith

This is where this is a subjective assessment and where you are misguided IMO

While you consider the price to be ridiculous some like me consider the price to be 'excessive'. Reason: Madrid apparently wanted him for £65-70m.Can anyone argue he is not worth at least that ? When ordinary players are going for £30m-50m. United paid a 30-40% premium. Which to me is fine. To expect him to be MOM in every match is unrealistic. To me he DOES make a difference and in a squad of players all costing large amounts (apart from the home grown ones) that is good enough.

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

He is pretty ordinary for now at least. Take away the daily haircuts and brand Pogba and you're left with a potentially excellent but so far very casual-looking, rarely effective player.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

How is he rarely effective? He had a poor game yesterday which showed how bad the midfield becomes when Pogba is not effective. That is absolutely not a weekly phenomenon. He adds tremendous value to our squad regardless of the haircut.

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

4 goals and 3 assists in the PL is a fairly average return from such a big money player isn't it?

I know the lad is only 23 and has his best years ahead of him, but as a neutral I think he's been a bit of a disappointment so far given the hype around him.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He's still finding his feet. He has looked absolutely bang average on occasions but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given his age and circumstances and assume for now he'll be way better next season.

Mourinho made a big call in ostracising Schweinsteiger and getting rid of Schneiderlin so I'll trust his judgement. It's not like we're in a **** position, we're looking pretty good and improving game on game.

Could turn out to be a good season with even better to come next year. It's way too easy to look at the player and his cost and ignore everything else.

14. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Sorry I just don't see what he adds right now that lots of supposed lesser players couldn't. As I said, there's obvious potential.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

So where do you draw the line? At what point do you say the amount is obscene? £200m? £300m? Or as long as the player turns out to be world class it's ok?

It's hard to explain this but in the current market once you start spending more than about 40-50m the idea that the price is justified based on return is just not correct. I agree we're paying a premium but that doesnt mean the price on its own isnt ridiculous. Pogba could win everything at United. That would make him a great purchase. But it wont change the fact £80m was a ridiculous amount. That sum of money isnt justified by trophies, only the player is.

16. Christiansmith

That is why football is about personal opinions, perceptions, and expectations. Stats have nothing to do with it. And trophies only play a part.

For ME, Pogba does make a difference to what we had before he arrived. And again for ME as a subjective fan and observer, the team misses him when he is not playing and the team is less likely to win. Now I have no statistical proof of that and no amount of astro the retard chart or figures would convince me otherwise.

As to fee ridiculousness, again we all have our figures. Yes, I have a figure I would consider ridiculous. Let's pick an extreme example: Paying £150m for him would have been ridiculous but interestingly not for Messi.

For me (I don't expect many would agree with me) it is about what the club can afford and how badly they want him. United can afford £89m, they wanted him. So why not?

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We both agree on the last bit <ok> I'm not making a judgement on him as a player, or our ability to afford him. It's simply the amount which I find obscene and I could never consider it cheap.

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

There is commercial side to this as well that we are ignoring. Sadly these days, I don't think it's just about spending money to win trophies. It's more about brand visibility than anything else, it seems. There is obviously a commercial value to each player. We only have to look at Adidas' role when Pogba returned - they milked it to the core. But take Kante, great player who is probably the bedrock of Chelsea's push toward the title. But sadly to the money men, there has to be a way to recoup it back beyond league title. Of course this is not in alignment with what fans really want. But the money men have entirely different objective.

19. Christiansmith

The ideal scenario is when the financial and the footballing objectives are aligned. The money men are making money and the team is winning. For me as a fan, all this talk of hundreds of millions being spent does nothing for me. All I'm interested in is the team playing good football and winning things. It baffles me a bit that some fans are so concerned that a player costs this or that. United are not stupid enough to bankrupt the club. In fact, they are savvy businessmen and they know they can recoup their money via marketing

Bodinki likes this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I have genuinely never given a **** how much we've spent on any player.