1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Past comparisons to current squad

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by No Kane No Gain, Apr 7, 2016.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

So far I've got:

Dier & King - centrebacks converted to midfielders early in their career. Fingers crossed Dier won't end up moving back into the defensive line because Toby and Jan have a long time left in their careers. And fingers crossed he also keeps his knees largely intact.

Alderweireld & Naybet. Not so similar in age but their arrivals really caused a marked change in discipline and understanding in the defence. When they're on the pitch everyone around them looked better.

Lamela & Dalmat. Full of tricks and skills that sometimes leave you feeling the rest of the team just needs to get on their wavelength for it to really work. Fortunately Lamela isn't in anyway unfit or lazy unlike Stephane.

Rose & Ziegler. Another positional change one. Both wingers converted to left backs. Reto Ziegler showed some promise and perhaps left too soon but we've stuck by Rose and seen the benefits as he frequently runs the left flank in attack and defence all by himself.

Mason & Davies. Composed on the ball with a great delivery but unfortunately also very injury prone. Maybe I'm just grouping those 2 together because I really liked watching them play, not sure.

Add your own. I'm sure you can make better comparisons than me, especially the old fogies and fogettes that remember more than the great depression from mid 90s through most of the 00s.

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Well bollocks to you all too!

3. Alliareyouokay

Alliareyouokay Active Member

Does Kane & all our best strikers rolled into one count?

Uhh Dier & Freund because they have the same song?

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Lamela and Bale - both had first seasons ravaged by injury, both had millstones around their necks (Lamela's fee, the Bale curse) and both were going to be loaned out before they had their breakthroughs

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Fazio and John Lacy. From the moment I saw each of them try to run, I knew it was hopeless.

6. humanbeingincroydon

Carroll and Caulker/Townsend - we hoped both would both step out of the academy and deliver on their initial promise, but that never really happened.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It's harder than it seems, struggling to think of players in the past who can truly compare to ones we have now, it's been a while since we've had this urgency, skill and passion from a whole team.

Although not a past player, can this count?:
    Kane & Jesus - Performs miracles.

Actually, I have one!
    Toby & King - Both guys brought a calmness to the side at the back, always felt as if the opposition would struggle to score when they play/ played.

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Kane and Sheringham.
    It's a comparison that I made ages ago and I can still see similarities now, despite their slightly different roles.
    Neither has amazing pace, but score plenty of goals because of their movement and finishing.
    Very comfortable on the ball, capable of picking a pass, dangerous in the air and predatory in the box.
    Scored goals for England and had a stint at Millwall.

SoS is right about King and Alderweireld.
    Calm most of the time, with bursts of action when needed.
    Proper footballing centre-halves who make the backline much more solid and make it look easy.

This will probably piss some people off, but Lamela and Ardiles.
    The runs, the ability to pick out a pass on the front foot, the tricks and the ability to draw a foul.
    Actually a little more tenacious than his countryman, though not nearly as consistent with his passing, unfortunately.

Dier and Davids. Couldn't be more different physically, but impose themselves on a midfield in similar fashion.
    Read the game well, aggressive, hard-tackling and full of energy, but good on the ball, too.
    Don't take any **** and don't let their teammates, either.

Walker and Carr? Alli and Gazza? Eriksen and van der Vaart? Don't seem as close fits, to me. Tricky.

The Changing Man likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Musa Yahaya and Kazuyuki Toda - mythical creatures that may or may not have signed for the club

Nacer Chadli and Clint Dempsey - they may score plenty of goals from midfield, but you frequently forget they're on the pitch