1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pardew - Looking to Tweak our playing style a bit!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Donkey Toon, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donkey Toon

Donkey Toon Active Member

Snippets of a Pardew interview being shown on SSN.

Asked about Barton missing out on the US Tour he said he wasn't too concerned because Joey knows the team tactics inside out and is happy that he will be able to bed him in fine in the period after they return and before the first game.

Interviewer asked whether Pards was going to use his absence to try a few other players in that role. Pards laughed and said that he would be trying a few new things, that the new players would be key and that he was looking to tweak our playing style a bit for the forthcoming season. (i've paraphrased a bit obviously and it is from memory, hopefully we will soon be able to see the full dialogue on the website).

Anyway though it might be of interest. Wonder what he is hoping to tweak?

2. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

Making us play it down on the ground I believe.

3. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Guest

I'd guess possession football, on the deck and play it through to the striker with inverted wingers <ok>

4. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

Guthrie at RW..just kidding
    more than likely be 4-5-1 and passing it around

the one thing about Barton missing out on the US tour is the fact it'll benefit the young uns on the Dutch tour

5. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

Yep, we're ditching the long ball, probably a 5 man midfield full of players who can play the ball like Cabaye, Tiote, Barton etc.

6. tommytoonAA

tommytoonAA Active Member

Yep, looking at who we've brought in and who we've kept/given new contracts to it's pretty clear we'll be looking to fast, attacking football on the ground.

7. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

I believe we are following the Arsenal model so expect possession, slick passing, fast breaks and failing to walk the ball into the net.

8. beardface

beardface Active Member

This!

9. Donkey Toon

Donkey Toon Active Member

We definitely seem to have more creative passing options available to us now. Fast interchanging passing and wingplay definitely seems to be made for us.

Moving away from the long ball will definitely be welcome.

10. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

Or will it help them as Barton will probably play instead of Inman or Richardson.

11. LTF

LTF Well-Known Member

Hope so, playing the long ball is boring and predictable. (imo)

12. TheLittleGeordie

TheLittleGeordie Active Member

Hopefully. But without Barton (just for the tour hopefully) for obvious reasons

13. singingitworks

Give the ball to Ben Arfa and let him do the rest <ok>

14. NUFC63

NUFC63 Member

From nufc.com

Pardew's comments:
    On the search for a striker:
    "I don't really want to mention names, but all strikers who are available we are keeping a close eye on. It's important that we keep bolstering the team as best we can.

"We have obviously been looking for a striker – we are still bidding for a striker as we speak – so we are doing all we can to get the right players for Newcastle.

"It's not easy, it's not an easy market – strikers are always the most difficult to get across the line – but we are working hard on it.*

On having funds apart from those for a striker:

"It depends, really, on the attacker that we hope to secure. There has been talk of the money we have got in and where has it been spent. But you would be surprised with the deals we have done, it actually amounts to a fair bit.

"We have got enough to bring a striker in of the right ilk for this football club, and that's what we need to focus on. When we secure that player, we will look again.

"Our wage bill has gone up by some distance. I'm not going to go into detail, but all the money is going to go back into the club.

"The finances are well documented, but we cannot compete with the big boys at this time."

On Wigan's N'Zogbia:

"I am told that Charles has got an imminent move (allegedly to Aston Villa), so I don't think that will be us."

On Swansea's Taylor:

"Neil Taylor, I think, will not come to the club. We got to a situation where we thought there was a price set in his contract and that hasn't proven to be the case.

"Therefore it started to get a little bit higher than we anticipated in terms of a fee, so I think the boy will end up staying at Swansea."

On Jose Enrique:

"We have made him an offer which is one of the best offers we have ever made a player, and he doesn't want to sign as yet, so it gives us a problem.

"He's a valuable player to us and to the club. We want to keep him and we hope he signs a new contract."

On Cheick Tiote:

"There has been no communication with Chelsea."

It sounds as if Pardew is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea - having offered a deal to Enrique that would decimate his budget were the Spaniard to sign it.*

And as for Taylor, that sounds like confirmation that we were seduced purely by the alleged bargain that his deal represented (see also Dan Gosling). As soon as that proved to be false, we were up the road - raising questions about how serious we were about LB cover.*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.