1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paraguay in the Copa America Final

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Cest Advocaat, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Paraguay will play for the title of the forty-third edition of the Copa America on Sunday against Uruguay in the Monumental stadium in Buenos Aires, while Peru and Venezuela on Saturday define the third and fourth place in Ciudad de La Plata stadium.

Both countries couldn’t have expected to make the final in Argentina, as I am sure most observers would have said it would be the host nation v Brazil that would have been the last 2 teams left.

I haven’t watched any of the games (on ESPN not Sky) but have seen a lot of the goals and I did see the mêlée which ensued after the penalty shoot out v Venezuela yesterday. What a shambles that looked and if it were in a European or World Cup finals, there would be hell to pay from UEFA or FIFA. However, with it being the South American Federation, I'm sure it will be described as high jinx (maybe they will adopt the Newcastle fans attitude towards mass brawling at football games) and all will be brushed under the carpet. I do hope Paraguay are not penalised to the point it effects the final as it would be farcical if after fighting to get to the final, it is devalued to the point it isn’t a contest. If there are repercussions to be made, surely common sense dictates it is done AFTER the final on Sunday?

Nice to see Paulo da Silva & Cristian Riveros both being selected and played and Riveros scored one of the penalties to make the final as well. They are both regular and pivotal players in the Paraguayan side and it makes you wonder why they couldn’t hack it in the EPL. To make the final of the Copa America is a great thing for nations competing in this tournament and especially on foreign soil for both participants.

I would love to see PDS and Riveros lift the trophy and as they are also a red & white coloured shirt, Paraguay will be my shout on Sunday.

2. Smiffy

Smiffy Active Member

3. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

I want Uruguay to win, it will be a travesty if Paraguay do, they have not won a game in 90 minutes all through the tournament and they play the most boring football imaginable.

I will say that Da Silva has been a class act in defence for them, but i havnt been impressed with Riveros at all, he has done nothing for me in the whole tournament.

Last night, Paraguay had their Coach sent to the stands, and their Assistant Coach as well, had a player sent off, Venezuala had a good goal dissalowed, 3 shots hit the post/crossbar, they done everything possible to win, Paraguay just settled on Pens after the first 10 minutes. I was gutted when Paraguay won tbh, Venezuala have been a breath of fresh air, they had only won 2 games in the Coppa America before this one, Baseball is the nations sport, football isnt even played that much, and they should have got to the final.

4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Suarez best player in the prem, and Forlan a top player, there is only one outcome of the final...........

5. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Well-Known Member

Wigan just put in a bid for Valdez for 4.5M. What a great deal that would be. But, it was rejected. He claims he wants to stay in Spain.

He would be a great addition for Sunderland, best player on Paraguay.

Certainly Wigan know N'Zogbia is gone and trying to add some threat other than Rodallega?

6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

sorted mate.

top player

7. The Outlaw

Thanks, Comm! Actually it was Paraguay and Valdez.

Gotta get up to speed on my Spanish.

8. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

I think we have done our Paraguayan bit for a while. Had PDS and Riveros proved shrewd buys, then Valdez as an addition this year would make sense.

AS it is, not for me.

9. The Outlaw

Fair enough, Cest.

Still rate him though, and if he can be had for 5M????, I say go for it.

One big signing should still be coming, but think it'll be on the LW. If so, Valdez could be a good addition at a position of need for a reasonable fee.

Wonder what PDS and Riveros would say about Sundeland if asked? No idea really.