1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ozil retiring from international football

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NLDISRED, Jul 22, 2018.

1. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

So ozil has retired from international football

This can go 2 ways for us in one hand we have a player not playing so many friendlies and games that mean nothing for us.

But on the other hand you could argue mesut seems to be a player who goes through the motions as it is what is there to motivate him to perform as he is on a massive contract and a nailed on starter.

I'm unsure how this is going to play out for us

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He had a poor world cup, but then so did most German players. Ozil though was singled out for unfair criticism imo so **** Germany. I'm hoping that Emery gets more out of him, he's like a Ferrari being driven in 3rd gear, there is still loads more in him.

TheBear and lazarus20000 like this.
  3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I'm happy that Ozil had the balls to say feck off to the German FA, Politicians and Media for trying to scapegoat him for the team's crap world cup, last time i checked they had 10 other players on the pitch to make a difference. Also, all this right-wing Nationalism sweeping through Europe is bullshit. So what if he posed with the President of Turkey in LONDON, yes in London not in Turkey. Last time i checked, i've seen Politicians pose with some horrible people but don't get criticised for it. Remember the Donald Rumsfeld photos with the Iraqi regime (Sadam, Chemical Ali etc) in the early 80's when the US were "friends"? It was around the same time Iraq was bombing Iran with chemical weapons and thousands were dying/seriously maimed/injured. Fecking hypocrates.

The guy is of Turkish origin, he has every right to respect the President of his parents country, or are the Germans trying to suppress his ethnic origins? Well until he does something they don't like, he becomes Turkish.

Also he's a World Cup winner with Germany that he was instrumental in, he can retire winning the highest prize in football.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I'm no fan of Erdogan, but he's like a saint compared to some of the nasty ****ers ruling their countries, and who our own politicians are very happy to cozy up to and rub shoulders with if there are arms deals to be had. As for Ozil being pictured with Erdogan, so what ? Like you say he's of Turkish origin so he obviously has a natural affinity with Turkey.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  5. lazarus20000

What seems to get attention is the trivial compared to the really serious issues that the world is plagued with. As you mentioned about us and no doubt many other European politicians, cozying up with some right nasty sons of... when it comes to trading arms with them.

They shouldn't try to make something big out of something that was a simple photo opp and perversely twist it for their own agendas.

PINKIE likes this.
  6. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

7. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I have to say that I hate people jumping to racism whenever something goes against them. Being a white man that has lived abroad most of my life in predominantly black countries, I feel I have endured as much racism (rightly or wrongly), as anyone who isn't white. When you live in a country that is predominantly one colour or one religion it is inevitable. People with a different colour are going to be rude to you or screw you over, and more likely than not it is going to be in favour of someone the same colour as them. Fact is people are rude and screw people over a lot, and the rest is probability.

But I have to say I support Ozil here, If you get a photo op with a national leader, even if it isn't one from your country, you don't say no, and it isn't an endorsement of them. The whole thing was perhaps not racist, but it was Xenophobic, and just totally out of order. These days many people have two nationalities and people need to get over it. When institutions like the press, or the FA start being racist that is a completely different problem.

I wasn't born in England (or Europe), and neither was my mother, but I don't consider myself less English than someone who was. Maybe you can say that I am lucky that I am very pale-skinned, but I would like to think that doesn't change my attitude to this question.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    BobbyD likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Gundogan was another player booed by German fans prior to the World Cup, and yes, it was for the same reasons as Ozil. Not because he´s of Turkish origin but because he was photogrphed with the odious Erdogan. Perhaps these guys should be a bit more astute in choosing who to be photographed with.

PS: I hope for you guys Ozil has a good season and helps restore Arsenal to where they belong, at the top, and not in midtable.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was, though. That's why Emre Can turned it down.
    If he'd have had to shake hands with Putin at the World Cup or something, then that's different. This was arranged for election publicity.

10. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

It's remarkable how many comments I've seen on social media and other forums saying that Hoeness is right and Ozil's just whining to deflect attention away from his poor performances.

Ozil had the bravery to speak out against the institutional racism he's had to face at the highest level. He even cited examples in the statement he publicised. It has nothing to do with his performances; it's to do with basic respect and humility for a fellow human being.

Hoeness knew full well what he was doing when he tried to make this sport-related and attempted to gloss over Ozil's experiences.

Whether people think Ozil has performed or not is immaterial. This wasn't the purpose of his statement. It's the fact that he has received swathes of abuse and has been scapegoated for Germany's failures when, not only were there far worse performers on the pitch, but no-one else has gotten a fraction of the criticism Ozil's had to endure. The limelight is still on him to this day.

There's a double standard here. People tell others to speak openly about the discrimination they face. "Why didn't you say something?" is the most common question. Yet when people do pluck up the courage to say something, others simply deny that it happened or downplay it.

If we want people, even famous athletes, to speak about what they've had to go through, we can't have others trying to undermine/belittle them for doing so.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed <ok>

I’m no fan of Erdogan, but Ozil was invited to be pictured with the head of state of his ancestoral country. I don’t see anything wrong with that. I have more of a problem with Theresa May grinning like a banshee standing next to members of the Saudi Royal family , who have an atrocious record on human rights, but that’s okay because she’s selling £bn’s worth of arms to them.

Anyway, that is a side issue imo.

So many sports stars are told to ‘ignore it’ and ‘get on with playing the game’ when they are faced with racism. Black players have had to put up with years of racist chants, monkey noises, bananas being thrown at them etc. And all this whilst the game supposedly promotes a zero tolerance stance and themes like ‘kick racism out of football’. Ozil should be commended for taking a stance on this.

Being such a high profile player, it should send out a strong message and give others who are subjected to racism, the impetus to stand up to it too. <ok>

12. lazarus20000

If you dig a little deeper you'll find that Germany has a real problem with right wing politics blaming immigrants for all sorts. Even their brothers next door the Austrians have elected a right wing racist government yet they don't get any criticism.

But I always get very uneasy when politicians start saying follow our values bollocks, which means, be like us and forget where you come from. What exactly does that fecking mean? Go down the pub and have a beer? You work, pay taxes and respect each other that's all that matters. You should be allowed to honour your ancestrial culture or religion as long as it doesn't step on anyone's toes.

As Ozil excellently put in a recent comment
    "I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose,".

Also respect for Bellerin for coming in to support Ozil who said: "Surreal that someone who has done so much for his country on and off the pitch has been treated with such disrespect. Well done Mesut for standing up to this behaviour."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  13. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Personally, I say to Hell with the German national team, but thank-you for doing us a huge favor. We get our star player, with no distractions and what is very likely a huge chip on his shoulder to make the Germans hurt watching him and seeing what they are missing. Lots of rest in international breaks and no distractions.

Thank you Germany for being monumental assholes. We appreciate you Mesut; now let's see about earning that statue outside the ground, OK?

lazarus20000 likes this.
  14. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Well its good news for us.

If we dont get 100% from Ozil now we never will. I'm hoping to see a fully committed Mesut next Season.