1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Overseas Saints Fan Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Stegie, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Stegie

Stegie Well-Known Member

G'day guys!

I'm a Saints fan based in Australia and will be vising the UK later in the year, and it appears the only match I could possibly attend would be Man City away on the 2nd/November. I just have a couple of questions if anybody could offer any knowledge.

What is the likelihood of even being able to acquire away tickets for a one off visit/non-ticket holder? I've been to a few home games in the past but have been informed that away-games have a slightly different process of acquiring tickets (although a family-member has suggested just buying general-admission tickets from the City website if I can't acquire away-fan tickets and just staying quiet during the match).

If I'm even able to get a hold of tickets, what is the most acceptable/common way for fans to travel to and from away matches? We'll be based in Southampton on the 2nd.

This will (hopefully) be my first time seeing Saints away and was just hoping someone could shed some light on the process of tickets/travel. I appreciate any help/advice!

2. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

The way it is done is that season ticket holders get first dibs, and that is decided by how many away games they have previously been to. For example the first round may be STH's who have been to six away games or more, then five, four, three and so on, then members and finally general sale. You will only get a chance if the allocation is not sold out by the time it gets to general sale. The official website will give details.
    Your relatives suggestion about sitting in with city fans might be the best bet as I think City rarely sell out.

As for getting there, the Saints supporters coach tickets can be bought at the same time of getting your match ticket but I don't think you can get a coach ticket on it's own. The coach option is really slow and I wouldn't use it again. Other than that it's make your own way there I'm afraid.

Stegie likes this.
  3. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

bribe a Saints season ticket holder?

4. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Southampton away travel is a private company offering coach travel which just mirrors the official travel and they’re good. But, you’re travelling in a coach so it’s going to take ages. I think some of the guys went to City away the season just finished.

Stegie likes this.
  5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Your relly should be able to acquire a ticket for you as soon as they become available to all and sundry..........It is a fair way up country from down here but not an impossible journey (Nothing like your 22hr trip over here) So you could acquire a coach ticket at same time of purchase.

Stegie likes this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

I would say that your chance of a ticket is pretty decent unless we only take the bottom tier (which is a possibility, were hundreds of empties in middle tier last year) or we're doing really well.

As for travel it depends on whether you want a drink or not. I drive to most aways as it's my favourite way to travel but understand that doesn't suit everyone.

Stegie likes this.
  7. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

You should be able to get tickets easily enough but if you need a helping hand I'm a STH (x2) and won't be going so I'm happy for you to drop me a line.

8. 9043graham

9043graham Well-Known Member

Nice touch.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Get him up front.

9043graham likes this.
  10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

You could always fly to Manchester from Southampton Airport. It takes about an hour max and saves you travelling up clogged up motorways. Furthermore, it would give you more time to explore Manchester where there is a terrrific Science Museum. Good luck on getting a ticket.

Stegie likes this.

11. One of yer Norvern Saints

One of yer Norvern Saints Well-Known Member

Some good advice on here. Now I am no longer a ST holder I often get people I know to get premium tickets for me if I know they aren't making the trip, so yes, take up an offer. Check out the flying option. I have tried it but the buggers don't seem to schedule matches to suit flight times. The road congestion is a good point. Motorways around Manchester are crap. Trains take a while, but have the advantage of arriving.

Just a thought, why not make it a weekend? Someone mentioned the Science museum, which is good, but the best sight in Manchester is the train to Liverpool! If you've never been it's a great place to visit. Pop down to Chester afterwards maybe. Real gem of a place.

Stegie and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  12. Stegie

Stegie Well-Known Member

Mate, you're an absolute legend. I'll discuss plans with the missus and I'll hopefully drop you a line!

13. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Incidentally I’m making the journey this weekend for a wedding, by train it’s 4 hours from Southampton parkway to Manchester.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That’s like going down the corner shop for a bottle of milk to someone in Australia!

VVD and davecg69 like this.
  15. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

OK so a similar question from me. My eldest daughter is ready for her first match now so I'll be flying down from Glasgow to take her and my nephew along. As this needs to be planned in advance I need to make sure I can get three tickets in the family section. I gave up my ST eleven years ago but remained a member for a few years after. Is membership still a thing? If it is that would probably make sense for me as i suspect her first match won't be her last (because i will have to insist that she enjoys it so much that i simply have to take her regularly).

16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I would suggest then that you re-new your membership............You will get little more priority that way.......

hotbovril likes this.
  17. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Cheers Beddy. I didn't know if it was still something the club did given it was a few owners ago now.

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To make sure, you’ll at least need to have club numbers for each person (not necessarily paid members) so they are registered on the system.