1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OVER & under 70'S THREAD ....inc: BCFC NOT 606 PUB BAR news

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Mar 15, 2020.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

mid afternoon break GD's just been round ...kept 2m ! been shopping …
    catching up on news on JC mk11 at it already blaming the death's of our brilliantly brave NHS frontliners on lack of PPE due to .gov failure [totally unstantuated ] .. HEADLINE GRABBING STATEMENT... the general public saw through JC if he keeps on like that at a time of dire national emergency he wont gain many friends .. appalling behaviour at this time.
    there is and was a world shortage... even with a 1000% upturn in production there is still a shortage and planned production boosts are coming on line everyday. One USA city didn't wait to source a "better deal" it just sent the money in advance of sale to secure a quantity of items before someone else "stole the lot"...……….
    oh well orange qtrs. finished and orange stains on my pale blue tee shirt … good job no one is going to see it! … that reminds me better change my socks had them on for 3 weeks ….lol!

2. johngalleyfan2

the epi centre or one of them is within the M25 … LONDON .. SO A FAMILY from the most likely place to have carriers decides to invade Torquay to go fishing AND THEY GET FINED bravo … but the worrying part is it says the "adults were fined" so one has to suspect the journey was not non stop … so the where did they stop en route ???
    not GAS about isolation and obeying the rules one must assume the care they took if they stopped was non existent and where did they go after being dumped of on the M5 border or A303 border? my guess would be they WERE intent on going fishing so why not CHESIL or Somerset coast?
    Maybe we will see them in the news again …. powers of confiscation!... the legislation states police can take them to court [criminal conviction] an so have just cause to "confiscate" fishing tackle as evidence!

A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.
    "Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"
    Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."
    He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"
    Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and
    pulls back the covers.
    She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other.
    She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."
    The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly,
    "Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very,
    very, closely:
    "Are - my - test - results - back?"

upload_2020-4-12_13-49-44.png
    keep safe
    keep smiling
    keep indoors

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  3. johngalleyfan2

still waiting for some sarcastic comment from the opposition to "Boris going to second home" ...LOL
    TODAY LAST OF THE 21 DAYS IMPOSED ON STAYING INDOORS ETC! …but making a decision later in the week whether to extend it?... yes they should, at least for 2 weeks
    Brewery shares must be a good buy in a months time? with over 5million gallons of beer likely to go down the drain although it could be filtered and used on your chips!
    not seen any serious reports of transgressors on Mways or holiday spots... although the rumour of 500 caravans and campers on the motorways was knocked back by one source as untrue ...there wasn't that many! [ statement "wasn't that many "= there was just a few or there wasn't as many as 500?! ]

good news is wx is windy, not so cold as predicted and no rain yet!

It is with great sadness that I have to mention the loss of a few local businesses as a result of COVID-19. A local bra manufacturer has gone bust, a submarine company has gone under, a manufacturer of food blenders has gone into liquidation, a dog kennel has had to call in the retrievers and a company supplying paper for origami enthusiasts has folded. Local strip club has gone tits up,Interflora is pruning its business and Dynorod has gone down the drain. The saddest one though is the ice cream van man found dead covered in nuts and raspberry sauce. He coulnd't take it any more and topped himself.

keep safe
    keep smiling
    keep indoors

4. johngalleyfan2

have been following up on taking dog for a walk [ driving aspect of it ] apparently the law is deliberately unclear!!! basically says you can within reason go to/drive to a "a spot" [ use that terminology as unclear what constitutes what type of spot ] to exercise / walk dog within reason .. although the distance from home not clarified. If i can find the articles again will cut and paste

5. johngalleyfan2

Government guidance urges people to "stay local", use open spaces near their home and avoid unnecessary travel
    • Guidance to police says the public shouldn't be sanctioned for "travelling a reasonable distance to exercise" - although no definition has been given …..stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily …. if walking your dog in areas used by other people, you should walk your dog on a lead to ensure you can safely keep 2 metres away from others
    • People should only exercise once a day, although in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland there is no legal ban on exercising more than that. In Wales, which sets its own health regulations, exercising more than once a day is now illegal - and potentially a criminal offence
    • Dogs can be walked as part of a person's daily exercise
    • Sunbathing in public places does not count as exercise and is not allowed
    No mention is given to how long you can exercise for. But Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has suggested a walk of up to an hour, a run of 30 minutes or a cycle ride of between that might be appropriate more most people "depending on their level of fitness".
    items from different sources in different print forms not some of the articles I read cant relocate them at the mo!

6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

7. johngalleyfan2

8 am! I'm just off to bed then providing the barrel is empty and all the whiskey is done ….

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

If Labour had won the election last December Corbyn would have been our PM.
    Should Corbyn have caught the virus, guess who'd have been De Facto PM.

Mrs Abbott.

9. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Laurel & Hardy but without the brains or ability.
    In fact, the stuff of nightmares

10. johngalleyfan2

well today we will know how much longer the lockdown is in force might be. looking to be as was "leaked " after a few days it came in force around 1oth May …. for some
    I cannot agree with how some of the reasoning regarding is to be applied/might be applied. Time, therefore age is an artificial concept based on sequence and duration everything on this planet has an age. To keep things rational our ancestors developed the "clock" today the atomic clock is accurate to miniscule fractions of a second. ANCIENT's had a clock based on the sun with subdivsions of the moon or even when certain "bright stars [ planets ] appeared also using star shapes like ORIONS BELT etc to add further depth and dimension.
    no living thing has the same time frame as others of its kind [ within reason regarding numbers ] Every oak tree does not grow for 200 years and 31 days then dies... Humans are the same, the only 2 things humans have in common [ other than usual bodily functions ] are "born.. first breath" and "death last breath" … life or age is determined within this parameter as an artificial starting point and ending point.
    he is 87 years old … been bed ridden since he was 70 …. he is 87 years old and just finished a hike across the pyrenee's in 4 weeks … He is 55 been unable to do any exercise for 5 years He is 55 just done 30 triathlons in 30 days....
    " keep 2m apart wash hands regularly and for anyone under 70 you can get back to life" ……...REALLY.... so I will be ok …... I do not believe in the concept of age, I feel 30 years younger than my artificial tag states so will get back to normal ….

on a plane there was 5 passengers, it was about to crash.
    the passengers were Trump, Boris, Nicola Sturgeon, the Pope and a 12 year old school boy.
    Trump grabs 1 of only 4 parachutes saying "I need to sort out the USA" and jumps
    The Pope grabs one " I have to sort out the Catholic church and jumps
    Nicola grabs one shouting " I am the smartest woman in Scotland and need one as she jumps"
    Boris turns to the lad saying you better have the last one you are young life is ahead of you and I've mostly had mine
    don't worry said the boy " there are 2 left the smartest woman in Scotland grabbed my rucksack"

My wife just gave birth today and after thanking the doctor, I pulled him aside and sheepishly asked, "How soon do you think we'll be able to have sex?"
    He winked at me and said: “I’m off duty in 10 minutes - meet me in the car park.”

I had a visit from the police today. They said if I wanted to walk around my house in the nude, I had to do it inside.

11. johngalleyfan2

what a great week for pubbing Tuesday was in Leslies bar EDINBURGH for a couple of hours and had a couple of pints... Thursday it was the hunters lodge inn at Priddy just a couple of 1664's and just back from the white hart in CHEDDAR … spoke and met with a load of mates and discussed loads of different topics … thank you zoom ………….

I was having a beer in the pub when a group of rugby players arrived in full kit with buckets collecting for charity. A group of girls made a beeline for them and were swooning all over them at the bar.
    I was standing next to one of the biggest and tallest and asked, "are you a hooker?"
    He laughed dismissively and said, "no mate, I'm a 2nd row forward!"
    I said, ,"I was talking to her."

on a different note .. not such a good week really on other fronts.. most annoying thing has to be the delay of 84 tonnes ?? of PPE FOR England although the smaller amount ? 4 tonnes face masks smaller stuff for Scotland made it.
    Chatting with various learned friends we have come to a conclusion …. based on Wednesday mid days in parliament, the labour party has taken it as read being called "the party opposite / the opposition" and taken it to heart... every comment proposal question they have to be in opposition or oppose it. [ whether there is a good reason to agree to it or not ] … grass is green = no its not [ pick any colour ] … face masks should be compulsory = no they shouldn't … face masks have little effect = yes they do should be compulsory …. Stewart park should remain closed = no it should be opened … .

Mr Preston, [ Mayor], said: "Because of Middlesbrough's high rates of infection [ 2nd only / jt to London ] and our other health challenges, we are deemed to be the most coronavirus vulnerable place in the UK.
    "With this in mind I have decided that, for now, our parks remain closed.
    "Parks themselves are not dangerous - but people gathering and mixing inappropriately in parks could be deadly."
    He pointed to a report by the Centre for Progressive Policy which says Middlesbrough "has a combined high case load and high level of systemic risk".
    The think-thank said it reached its conclusions by analysing confirmed cases against the age of an area's population, life expectancy and quality of care.

The labour MP in reply says
    parks are a "great asset" to people in densely populated urban areas and "there would be significant benefits from re-opening our major parks, including depriving people of the excuse of travelling by car to enjoy a green space elsewhere".
    "We all benefit for being in a green and pleasant environment and parks are a huge solace for many," Mr McDonald said as he urged Mr Preston to reverse the closure decision.
    he only wants it open to deprive people from enjoying a short drive to green and wide open spaces!!!

is todays figure of under 600 poor souls a true one? or victim of "weekend syndrome" lets hope it is a down turn.

What do you get when you mix birth control and LSD
    A trip without kids
    My wife was in the kitchen cooking breakfast when I heard a heavy thud. I rushed into the kitchen to find my wife laying on the floor unconscious. I didn't know what to do, i panicked, I was totally lost, but then i remembered Wetherspoons have an all day breakfast for£3.99
    Why does Dr. Pepper come in a bottle?
    Because his wife died

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  12. johngalleyfan2

Well the first PMQ 'S of the summer session.. i had to laugh at the start as has the sub titles on The speaker called SICK KEIR STARMER.... …. JC would have been 0.1 /10 KS was 6/10 he had to have that "labouridiosyncrosy" with each point He was shot down twice, as usual on the last question … not as viciously as JC would have been but took some of the smile off his face. He was trying to play good cop bad cop and [ wont say failed] but didn't succeed.
    His Q's could have been a bit more original … it boring stuff from him ….. ppe you got it ALL wrong not prepared wrong actions etc etc etc.. was blown out of water on it .. was told ".gov " has followed the instruction of ALL learned factions almost to the letter, and competed in the market for equipment along with 270 countries … if you KS wish to believe that what you said with the benefit of hindsight then you are welcome to keep that belief.
    regarding 8000 companies offering services to supply PPE, and 5000 of them not taken up but are making PPE for other countries instead … KS again shot down in flames … The .gov sent replies TO ALL companies, .gov SELECTED 3000 of them because they could supply the quality and steady number of orders to keep our frontliners safe in the knowledge of put it on you are protected … an awful lot of kit made by the other "5000" has been returned as not worthy .. those staff wearing it in the belief they are safe are not .. would you KS like to supply not fit for purpose PPE to our fantastic frontliners and put them at greater risk …. KS DIDNT HAVE A SMILE OR SMIRK on his face ……
    Blackford fared no better his first Q was nuked and the second was an emabarrassed IB ……….
    HEY we might be in a pandemic with our PM still in recovery but the team that is leading us is doing a good a job as our frontliners1

BBC well someone on here a while back ostracised the BEEB for their attitude and biased presentation … the last week or so it has excelled … in stead of presenting both sides they are taking sides … NEGATIVE news always sells better than positive. Today on the 6 oclock news when covering PMQ's they presented the KS arguments/ comments which he was shot down on without giving the .gov reply … that is super bad. I bet a few million who watched thought KS WAS a real new broom … in fact came over as a brush with a new handle but same old worn out head...….

Steve and his buddies were hanging out and planning an upcoming fishing trip. Unfortunately, he had to tell them that he couldn't go this time because his wife wouldn't let him.
    After a lot of teasing and name calling, Steve headed home frustrated
    The following week when Steve's buddies arrived at the lake to set up camp, they were shocked to see Steve. He was already sitting at the campground with a cold beer, swag rolled out, fishing rod in hand, and a camp fire glowing
    "How did you talk your missus into letting you go Steve?"
    "I didn't have to," Steve replied.
    "Yesterday, when I left work, I went home and slumped down in my chair with a beer to drown my sorrows because I couldn't go fishing. Then the ol' lady Snuck up behind me and covered my eyes and said, 'Surprise'.
    When I peeled her hands back, she was standing there in a beautiful see through negligee and she said, 'Carry me into the bedroom, tie me to the bed and you can do whatever you want,'

So, Here I am

PPSmust be getting to me wrote this in early hours and didn't press post ….again

13. johngalleyfan2

OK today is 4 weeks of lockdown.. how have we fared
    the groups....
    OAPS AND over 70's [ for some reason .gov makes the 67 year olds less likely than the 70 year olds less susceptible
    55 to 70 .. a group which is little spoken about
    18 to 55 .. less likely to fail to beat it
    under 18's … have more resilience and very unlikely to succumb to the worst scenario

The OAP's ...well pretty used to doing their own thing on a daily basis get up read the paper afternoon nap potter around garden [ this time of year ] watch evening news go to bed meals have a set pattern bedtime usually on the dot rise early.
    occasionally, other than shopping go for a day out on the coach or in the car.. have a fish and chip supper as a treat. Some like me are very active, and whilst I miss the 3 OR 4 OCCASSIONS I used to go out each week and get physical crawling around in underground passages or filling bags with dirt/rock this first month has not been wasted, have found out more about my immediate area and its open spaces and the wild life that abounds within it … I have always had a thirst for knowledge and past month has not been dissapointing within a mile of my house in a month have spotted 11 different birds and 9 butterflies seen 4 deer loads squirrels and last night 10.30pm on a drive of less than 1 mile around my house 5 foxes.....

I came to the conclusion these poor creatures will need to re establish their old hunting habits as the free food which is usually available from take aways etc is almost non exsistant now....[ wandering around my estate used to see loads ] now it is water bottles & dog poo bags [ they pick up put in bag and then discard at side of road or further down pavement or in bush's!!!!!]

So ... O A P 's what do you do? how have you fared??? can you handle another 2 months?????

Sad news from the Nestle factory today as a man was crushed to death by hundreds of boxes of chocolates.
    He tried in vain to attract attention, but every time he yelled out;
    "The Milky Bars are on me!"
    People just cheered..

14. johngalleyfan2

After my dodgy 15 hours of Friday evening when I felt drained and out of puff.. all seems better[ not100% ] now ….. didn't do a walk Sat or Sunday but did one today about 3 miles and 2 .25 hours... i really love the last bit all up hill through the woods only about 220 ft but gets the lungs working.
    How to miss an opportunity? … well wandering "off piste so to speak" .. knee deep grass and vegetation .. I spotted numerous movements about 10-15 m away... it was rabbits. I thought a nice pic of a couple rabbits would be nice then crikey I saw brer fox creeping through shorter grass .. I froze he froze rabbits continued to hop about... camera poised [ foxy was there but partly behind a tummock] it seemed like an age but likely a minute or so, he moved forward as the bunnies mostly scarpered .. i took a step sideways I snapped he went forward about a metre ...ish but was aware i was there and bolted back about 5m hiding behind the tummock occasionally peeking over it. BIG ERROR as he dropped his head I went forward a pace [ 3 x ] fourth time he dropped his head I took a pace but he had quickly stole another look as I did and scooted off...….had I KEPT STILL might have seen him get his tea
    The other thing I noticed 6 days ago I did video of a tree with a bird singing in it about the same time 6pm … the background was very quiet .. today i was aware of traffic main A4 is about half a mile away .. so near where the last video was done did another .. "it was deafening" compared ……….. have added a Jay, longtailed tit, wren woodpecker and 3 unidentified birds, a shrew and a butterfly since last Thursday.....
    keep safe … keep happy … keep indoors.. its going to rain? !

Why don’t scientists trust atoms?
    Because they make up everything.

Two chemists walk into a bar.
    One says, "I'll have an ‎H2O." The other says, "I'll have an ‎H2O, too." The second chemist dies [..... why?]

Did you hear about oxygen's date with potassium?
    It went OK.

Did you hear the one about cobalt, radon, and yttrium?

It was CoRnY.

[..... why?] .................‎H2O2 is the chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide. BIT OF A SCIENCE LESSON... last 3 is chemical symbols ...lol

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I like your take on life John, keep them coming, maybe I am getting ancient but I enjoyed your experiences with the rabbits and foxes, I'm reading this with my feet up, enjoying the sun, pint of stella in hand, my wife is improving part of our garden with some Amazon delivered plants and of course I am having a total guilt complex.

Take it steady and Up the City.

16. johngalleyfan2

yep I am one of the PLAY AT ALL COSTS peeps, there is to much money been invested to throw it all away for the sake of 9 games. IF WE FAIL TO GET TOP 6 so be it, it is better to fail trying than to fail not trying. … like R&W I lost last summer due to a hospital visit .. and this pandemic is like a kick in the softer regions. … my summers are limited in life [ hindsight ] we do not have an infinite number of them. In 2008 I set mtself a "challenge " which would last at least 5 -6 years. In pursuit of that I found something of immense importance in 2009 in NW Scotland .. so reckoned on pushing it to maybe a few more... so much so I almost ended up a cripple … hence 2019 op … everything was left in situ to go back on 24th APRIL 2020 for 2 -3 weeks and enter further places never ever visited by man ………………
    Everyday [ well most ] we learn something new or see something we see in a different environment.. TV versus real life, we often grasp the opportunity … but sometimes "the blessed with patience" in 1 sec make the wrong move. I spent almost 15 mins waiting to see if a woodpecker would come out its hole ..saw it go in … 10mins or so waiting for a pic to confirm if the "blue tits" in a hawthorn in a brambly area were coal tits [ smaller than the blues … and then blew it with foxy!
    As I wander around the estate i have never seen so much "stuff" put out for the bin men or with scribbled notes... "free to a good home" .. never seen so many skips and the contents of some would fuel an average size boot sale ….

indeed come on CITY give our isolation some good karma ….

17. johngalleyfan2

THIS TABLE tries to indicate the seriousness of the pandemic for 10 of the nearer western Europe countries. Information was drawn from more than 1 source as not all sources had the same dates/ populations /facts and figures for each country to same date. in places an average to nearest round figure has been used.
    LAST 3 COLUMNS is 1 case per

country …… peeps nom pop ….. cases …….... deaths …....….. SQ ……..... death …....… death case
    ….......... …... SQ KM … MILL …...... OOO … …..... ……......….... KM …...… head …....… in sq ...… in sq
    …...... …. …....... … …....... …. …...... … ……............ …….…. …....... …..…..…... pop ………..... km …..… km
    HOLLAND ….. 521 ….. 17 …......... 39000 ……..... 5000 ….. 41000 ….….. 3400 …….... 8.2 …….. 1.05
    BELGIUM ..…. 376 ….. 6 ……..….. 9000 …….....…. 500 …… 45000 …..... 12000 …….... 90 …....... 5
    UNITED K ….. 272 ….. 66 ……...... 162000 ….... 26000 ..... 242000 ….. 2538 ……...... 9.3 …..…. 1.49
    GERMANY ….. 237 ….. 83 ……...... 161000 ….... 6000 ……. 358000 ….. 13833 …..…... 59.6 …..… 2.22
    SWTZRLND … 206 ….. 9 ……...... 29000 …..… 2000 ….… 41000 …….... 4500 …....... 20.5 …….. 1.41
    ITALY ……..... 200 ….. 60 ……...... 201000 ….... 27000 ….. 301000 …….. 2222 …….... 11.15 ….... 1.5
    DENMARK … 135 ….... 6 …..….... 9000 ……..... 500 …….... 45000 ……... 12000 …...... 90 …….... 5
    FRANCE …… 118 ….... 67 …..….... 165000 ….... 24000 ….. 552000 …….... 2791 …...... 23 …….... 3.35
    AUSTRIA ….. 106 …..... 9 ……...... 15000 …..…. 600 …….... 84000 …....... 15000 ….... 160 …….... 5.6
    SPAIN …..…... 92 …..... 47 …..….... 232000 ….... 24000 …. 499000 …....... 1958 ….... 20.79 …….. 2.15

SPAIN HAS 1 DEATH FOR EVERY 1958 head of population UK has 1 for every 2538 … AUSTRIA 1 FOR EVERY 15,000.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  18. johngalleyfan2

I WAS LISTENING TO VARIOUS ARGUMENTS throughout the day regarding the constant attacks on .gov not doing enough and even some " doctors" complaining to their governing body … also a real big slap down for the BBC regarding "panorama"? and its numerous inaccuracies!!!! the consensus of the negative hindsighters seems to be based solely on what they choose to believe, on face value and an uneven playing field.
    If you take [ from previous table ] France. IT HAS 118 people in every sq km the UK has 272, more than double. [ I don't know how the area of each country is worked out, if it is on a flat surface then actual surface area is wrong because a mountain gives more surface area than its base, and villages are built UP the sides of mountains ] Their death rate IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE UK based on population but they have more than twice the area to be spaced out in! They have1 case in every 3.35 sq km UK 1 case in every 1.49 sq km
    Spain in every aspect is the worst of the countries, I based the table on density Holland being the densest populated v Spain where 1 in every 1958 people have sadly died. As better figures become available I may adjust the table more for meand the odd person that may have a passing interest ...

19. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I don't really care what the media or anyone else says, I believe the government have done a very good job with everything they've implemented, to protect lives and the many jobs & businesses possible in these uncertain times....those looking to blame and shame IMO can do one..Of course we could have been better prepared with PPE and testing and maybe even shut down a bit earlier, but this has taken some serious organising throughout and I applaud Boris and Co for listening to the medical experts & the science and keeping the levels down for the brilliant NHS, enabling them to cope with this pandemic..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  20. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

The problem we’ve got now is the British public are getting restless. And that’s fed by the media constantly asking the daily briefings about relaxing lock down. One reporter picked up on Prof Van-Tam saying it’s more contagious inside rather than outdoors. To immediately ask about pubs opening up their bear gardens.

On Saturday these are true snippets of my day.
    My mates are desperate for pubs to be open again to the extent they’ve gone back 35 years, to a time when we used to get pissed down the tunnels so no grown ups see. So about 12-16 grown ups drinking from cans, probably passing them round as well. No I did not join them, or have I during lock down.

I then went to drop something off at my sons in Easton who needs to buzz you in so I could leave the parcel and he can pick it up once I’ve left the communal hall way. No answer so I phoned him , he’s up on the downs because it’s a nice day with his Mrs and 18 month child. Probably knowing him with friends as well. He can’t drive so probably walked through town and up to the downs.

On the journey to my sons Stapleton road was teaming with people and just merrily chatting to others.

People seem to think we have hid for 4 weeks so the virus has got bored and buggered off somewhere else.
    And the press will ask the same questions again today saying the curve is flattened. Just so Weatherspoons can open in June like he says he’s going to.