1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OVER & under 70'S THREAD ....inc: BCFC NOT 606 PUB BAR news

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Mar 15, 2020.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying but it's not really that simple. The self-employed in many cases earn a similar wage to full-time employees but retain none of the benefits. No sick pay, no holiday, no protection whatsoever, and in doing so it's seen as a trade-off to some extent that you're allowed to bend the rules and make a little more money in other creative ways. The latest IR35 rules make that even worse. Otherwise, it's essentially gaining an employee but not having to treat them properly. I see both sides and it desperately needs fixing. I'd support any law that makes the self-employed properly pay their tax, but they need the protection as well.

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Rishi Sunak will be our next Prime Minister.

3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

HE WILL HAVE A LONG WAIT ………………………!

4. johngalleyfan2

YOU DO NOT QUITE UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS!!!!!!
    On and off I have been self employed since 1980 about 26 years worth ….
    I wont go into all the details BUT a genuine 100% er is better off than an employed in a lot of ways.. an awful lot of ways …. holidays sick pay pension are all part of your "self employment" if you want to fiddle your tax ..pee it against the wall .. not look for the rainy day then TOUGH SHI*… There will be a few million out there likely to be getting 80% of the personal allowance … because that's how they "engineered things to pay a £1 a week tax" …. I have done my books for the last 19 years AND paid up to 600x times more tax than a couple who earned more than me and had less expenses …..

5. BCFCRob

Being self-employed myself, I can assure you, I really do. <laugh>

Hopefully. He has some questionable stances looking back (which politician hasn't to be fair), but I can't remember the last time I actually liked a Tory politician. Seems to know his onions for sure.

6. johngalleyfan2

for such a comment I wouldn't add a laughing emoji .. as your comment holds no water ...… your understanding of SE is incorrect ……... you make a comment/s on the side of SE that is usual practice for those that do not make sensible INTELLIGENT plans around what their life will be like in hard times /RETIREMENT… besides over 26 years of SE I also had terms of working [ SE ]in the insurance [ Hargreaves Landsdown , Target AND Hearts of OAK ] had licence for the latter and for selling and advising Finance …. and 60% of the SE approached about how they conducted their affairs CCAS.. "I put money away for a rainy AND don't pay a lot of tax ………. and enjoy my 2 or 3 holidays a year …. my last case was a near neighbour who I saw IN 1984 HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING then and at the age of 63 asked me if I could advise on his pension! Although not licenced then [about 6/7 years ago ]I said yes but only as a referral … in his kitchen he said I have £5k and can afford £200 a month … OK I said who are you with now better them sort it …. I AM NOT WITH ANYBODY …… [ AGED 63 and wants to retire at 65!!!!! ] He had a H O O sick plan... I had advised him to take out a modern one [ WITH ACCIDENT INURANCE ETC ] at £x a month in 1984 would pay a living wage if ill [ spent 3 months in HOSPITAL fell out of a tree 6ft drop ] and had about 2 weeks illness each year flu etc … ] A classic 60% … really pissed off now trying to live on £150 a week has been retired 5 years ….
    MY advise had been put dependant on age but under 25 .. 40% of what you earn goes into a bank account you pay your tax NI pension sickness plan from that account … nothing else …. it is forgotten In a second account you put 10% of what you earn holidays odd treats … the other 50% in a 3rd account after expenses buying stuff is your wages ….. I had 4 accounts as I ALSO put 5% of the 50% for the future …..

7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Here endeth the lesson.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't bank on it.

wings-of-a-crow likes this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I've learnt mine.

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Well done for reading it.

BCFCRob and raver like this.

11. BCFCRob

Usual practice is to make plans for hard times, well not everybody has that luxury. If you’re lucky enough to be in a comfortable situation, then great for you.

I’ve made a conscious attempt to make an effort with yourself and a few of the others since the Brexit thread with regard to politeness on this forum. Your post suggesting that I must not be “INTELLIGENT” is just as insulting as the things you’ve accused me of doing/saying. I’ve been doing things on my own for less than a year so any suggestion that lack of planning has been down to incompetence or recklessness is pretty harsh

Everybody I’ve disagreed with on here to a man has been sound as f*ck since those daft arguments on the political threads except yourself. Just let it go.

If not, let’s ignore each other and be done with it. Wishing you the best in health through these times :emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. johngalleyfan2

well little else to do whilst having your 5th or 6
    My dear friend, to assume my comments are directed at you directly are way off the mark, and certainly cannot be construed as you doing as you have not said whether you do or don't do. My comments simply point out that what you said originally were off the mark. My comment is aimed about the very large number [ 60% don't do anything or very little ] ..and I gave an example of onesuch.
    Having a working life of some 60 years behind me , and still do work occasionally, SE, I can like a lot on here say we have seen the pitfalls some fall into. Having survived on self training and analysis of have I done the best I can for me or more importantly for the other party when questions arise I address them. Having looked over the posts quite happy that I have not singled you out .. by putting myself in your position difficult because there is so very little to go on; in retrospect with the latest post [ your short time in doing it/being it ] I would say you have a good basis to build on! it is not easy in the first year or so to get established and depends on the work you do/choose.
    Always remember the first payment you put away grows the biggest. I was able to understand money at a very early age … my first payment to a personal pension was a loan from the bank! I paid in a lump sum and waived the tax relief so I had made around a quarter or third of it in growth in the first year and took me 3 years to pay the loan [ I think 2/3rds of it was for the pension the other 1/3rd to buy what ever it was ...a car I think ].
    re read and make your own assumptions! And the best of luck with your future working life

13. johngalleyfan2

Well we start week 2 and a lot of "good news " on the horizon 2 consortiums have approached aiding breathing

----------- University College London engineers worked with clinicians at UCLH and Mercedes Formula One to build the device, which delivers oxygen to the lungs without needing a ventilator. ------------- [ works on pressure no ventilator ] and can manufacture 1000 a day

----------- The "VentilatorChallengeUK" consortium includes Airbus, BAE Systems, Ford, Rolls-Royce and Siemens.
    Companies in the consortium have received orders for more than 10,000 ventilators from the government, although MHRA approval is still pending. hopefully they will get their act together as they are in production!!!

Lets hope the weather warms up have a safe day and Keep smiling …………….

At a wine merchant's, the regular taster died
    and the director started looking for a new one to hire.
    A drunkard with a ragged, dirty look came to apply for the position..
    The director of the factory wondered how to send him away.
    They gave him a glass to drink.
    He tried it and said,
    "It's a Muscat , three Years old, grown on a north slope,
    matured in steel containers".
    Low grade but acceptable.
    "That's correct", said the boss.
    Another glass....
    "It's a cabernet, eight years old, a south-western slope,
    oak barrels, matured at 8 degrees.
    Requires three more years for finest results.."
    "Correct."
    A third glass...
    ''It's a pinot blanc champagne,
    high grade and exclusive'' calmly said the drunk.
    The director was astonished
    He winked at his secretary to suggest something.
    She left the room, and came back in with a glass of urine
    . The alcoholic tried it.
    "It's a blonde, 26 years old, three months pregnant
    and if you don't give me the job, I'll name the father."

14. johngalleyfan2

Two Irish nuns were sitting at a traffic light in their car when a bunch of rowdy drunk guys pulled up along side of them.
    "Hey, show us your tits, ye bloody penguins!" shouted one of the drunks.
    The Mother Superior turned to Sister Immaculata, and said, "I don't think they know who we are. Show them your cross!"
    So Sister Immaculata rolled down her window and shouted, "Screw off ye little fookin ****ers before I come over there and rip yer balls off!"
    Sister Immaculata then looked back at the Mother Superior and asked, "Was that cross enough?"

WELL in the next few days we may reap the seeds that were sown 10 days ago the beach and mountain morons … a sad sad day if in the next week we spiral up like an UFO in overdrive ..
    My poor wife is suffering from paranoia …. still working in the care home, worries tremendously about the less hygienic and unable to understand patients.. OCD is her main defence!
    A steady supply of needed items now beginning to re appear on the supermarket shelves my regular email from T and S is confirming shelves tend to stay stocked until almost closing and the early opening ques diminuish during the day ..I couldregister for "preferential treatment" as could a few on here but not desperate yet! Although I SUPPOSE BEING REGISTERED doesn't mean I need to use it … online etc etc etc
    USA IS STARTING TO KICK OFF … with all the space they have would have thought it would have been just half a dozen or so hot spots like NY, SF, etc … seemingly not!

Guess one will not read this so put a joke up first ...lol
    Keep safe
    keep smiling
    keep indoors

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  15. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Well persevered JGF2

Keep safe all, and if you can't stay 100% safe at this time due either to the job you do or because you need to visit vulnerable relatives, then do the best you can.

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

hope your wife gets better soon

17. johngalleyfan2

yep my daughter working from home with 3 kids just lost her mum in law .. and she has been really strict with maintaining her distance … but today got a phone call earlyish … do you want anything up the shop!!!!!! Her father in law lives about 80m from the shops and s obviously alone and distraught . it is no fun [ not intended as joke or being disrespectful ] trying to arrange a funeral it seems, everything has to be done on the phone and there are extra rules and regulations.. of course the best we can do is just give moral support ……….. and no flowers!

18. johngalleyfan2

thankyou as angelic says it is what it is and we need to do the best we can..

...lets hope peeps do not take advantage of the good wx and break the cordon …. police in 3 areas do seem to have [ and stated the fact ] interpreted the "the guidelines on driving" at the sharp end. the professors this am were in agreement that how the police are stopping people and fining them for not being in the area they should be is 100% …. also if they are using a data base to record transgressors … then anpr could ping them later in the day … had they been told to go home [ say 60 miles away ] and the ping was 5 hours later and 30 miles from home then it could/would be a repeat offence! unless they could prove breakdown or in an accident!

19. johngalleyfan2

I start a new job in Seoul after covid -19. I thought it was a good Korea move.
    Paddy says "Mick, I'm thinking of buying a Labrador.” Blow that" says Mick, “have you seen how many of their owners go blind?"
    19 Irishmen go to the cinema, the ticket lady asks "Why so many of you?" Mick replies, "The film said 18 or over."

I was explaining to my wife last night that when you die you get reincarnated but must come back as a different creature.
    She said "I ..... will publish reply later for the four liners!!

As expected Starmer gets elected and the first words out of his mouth "we will back the government on Covid- 19 followed a bit later BY I think the government have handled the out break terribly"

SHE SAID " .. would like to come back as a cow. I said "You're obviously not listening dear."

So if he disagree's what would he have done differently? bearing in mind he has the immense advantage of hindsight and will this "hindsight" be spun into "he is a psychic, and can see the future "..
    I would have ORDERED 60,000 ventilators 300 million masks one trillion gloves … 500 million PPE'S. Stopped people going out from the 1st of March ..built 6 temporary prisons for 40,000 transgressors …. declared a curfew ...shut all schools had 30,000 tests a day done … kept parliament open so he coud knock the government. given the police extra batteries for their tazers … etc etc.... strange though isn't it amongst all the excitement of the last 2 months other than JC KICKING OFF WITH EVERYTHING ANTI GOVERNMENT … not a peep from the 3 who contested the opposition leadership … I guess being re branded as "yet another new labour " …"the 2020 peoples party"

The Grim Reaper came for me last night, and I beat him off with a vacuum cleaner. Talk about Dyson with death.
    My neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30am this morning. Kept 2m back... Can you believe that 2:30am! Luckily for him I was still up playing my bagpipes.
    Murphy says to Paddy, "Why are you doin' talkin into an envelope?" "Isn't it obvious, I'm sending a voicemail.
    I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.
    I was essentially driving this morning when I saw a parked RAC van. The driver was sobbing uncontrollably and looked very miserable....
    I thought to myself, that guy's looking for a breakdown.

20. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh> I'm really glad I read this one of yours John. Brilliant!! <cheers>

Redprintt likes this.