1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Certainly not a Ginsters anyway!

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Cornish method, jam on the bottom providing a less slippery base for the cream.

3. notDistantGreen

It's a lovely sunny Saturday here on Plymouth so I'll ruin it by telling you about a couple of annoying things that I've seen in the press about the boys in blue this week.

1) South Yorkshire police have urged citizens to report "non-crime hate incidents" i.e. things they can't and won't do anything about because they aren't crimes. As a barrister said on Twitter, he'd rather they put their energies into doing a better job with "crime-crime hate incidents" and someone else pointed out, the police have an exemption from data protection rules if they are investigating crime-crime that wouldn't apply to non-crime crime, so they's better not be storing the data collected.

2) It transpires that due to an Internal Affairs investigation, a police officer has been suspended for using the phrase "whiter than white" in a talk encouraging his men to achieve the highest possible levels of probity. The Plain English Society has said that this phrase has no racial undertones whatsoever and was used appropriately given the subject matter under discussion. Another officer is under investigation for describing someone as "a good egg". Apparently this could be taken to refer to the Cockney rhyming slang phrase "egg and spoon" meaning a person of colour. Not a lot of people know that.

Whilst I oppose racism in all its forms, haven't they got anything better to do?

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I first moved to Orpington (1970)....there was a police station two miles away (St Mary Cray)...with a desk and you could actually speak to a real policeman.

Then they built an all dancing and singing state of the art real modern police station in Orpington and that had a real policeman behind a desk....lots of offices and a substantial cell complex in the basement.....about 1985/90.

In the meanwhile they relocated the old police station in Bromley into another state of the art complex at Bromley South.

They eventually closed the one at St Mary Cray about 2000.

The all singing all dancing new one in Orpington was closed in 2015 and knocked down and rebuilt as luxury flats.

The one in Bromley is still there....but you'll never ever speak to a policeman if you go in....you'll be given a crime number if you ask politely for one... if your burgled and that would be the end of it....goodbye don't come back sought of attitude.

That now has amalgamated with Croydon.....doubling its catchment area (or none catchment area...sorry the pun) so that now covers an area of about 1 to 1.5 million people....so Sgt Dixon please rest in peace....evening all.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I guess in those days Dock Green had real Policemen

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

SIGN OF OUR TIMES.

Picked my ten year old granddaughter up from school Thursday......we drive past two well laden Conker trees on the way home... and she asked me if we could stop and pick some up....being pleasantly surprised I told her that when I was her age conkers would only be laying on the ground first thing in the morning and we would be picking them up on the way to school, and after school we would be throwing sticks up into the trees to knock others down.

These trees today had shed quite a lot of conkers (high winds) onto the kerb side and many others had been crushed by passing cars....but no sign of any school kids rushing to pick them up. I told her how we would literally be fighting to pick them up so we had spare ones for our conker fights.

She looked at me puzzled...."conker fights" she asked.....I asked why did she want them if it wasn't for conker fights.....granddad she said....don't you know that spiders don't like conkers...they keep them away....I then explained what a conker fight was and she looked at me with a condescending look, obviously taking into account my advancing years. I think her school banned conkers over ten years ago....just in case some parent would sue them if little Freddie or Mary got hurt in the playground with flying conkers.

Natural autumn fun time conkers....kids today just miss out on so many simple things of life....and it was all free fun....today its £50 for a video game which in a month or so gets discarded because of another newer video is on the market....and they all seem to have mobiles worth 2 or 3 or 4 hundred pounds to glue their eyeballs to.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We had conker trees that we guarded once the conkers were visible and before they became usable. Certain trees were climbable so sometimes you got nominated to be the one to go up and shake the tree so the fall was increased. The prize for being the climber was the first pick of the collected fruits once they had been gathered. Nobody ever questioned the picking bit even though they could have just walked away with their bounty. Serious stuff with the conker fights. If you cooked the conkers in vinegar they went really hard. If you got caught using one in competition you got smacked in the nose for cheating.

Plym you are way out with some of these phones. Try they cost anywhere around a grand not a few hundred. Those are for losers. The price is scary and no wonder gangs go about on scooters or mopeds and nick them out of people's hands in the street.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

10 and 12 year olds get phones that cost less than that sensible...even around here.

Did you realize spiders didn't like the smell of new conkers....old ones don't have the same effect.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You'd have to ask what a 10 - 12 year old needed a bleddy phone for in the first place.

If you had asked me what affect a conker could have on a spider then my answer would have included the art of throwing it at it. I find screaming like a baby and standing on a chair usually works. The wife picks it up and throws it out..................only because she can't stand the noise I make.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We do have our share of spiders around here.....we've an oak wood at the bottom of our garden and that tends to bring a lot of creepy crawlies along.

It's not so much the spiders but the webs that they leave everywhere outdoors.....walking around to the dustbins or the garage....in you hair and face.....all you need is some dramatic music and a huge spider dragging you off into their web as a future meal.....<yikes>.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

This evening I switched on the kitchen light to go in and make a drink for me and her indoors and there on the wall right above the kettle was.........................the biggest fecking spider I have ever seen in my house. It just sat there looking at me and I think it was saying "go on then punk try to get rid of me then. go on make my day". I was tempted to get the biggest book I could find in the house but feared it might just wrestle it from me. Several minutes passed with it being a bit of a Mexican stand off. All this had obviously taken more minutes than I had thought, not that I was watching the clock anyway. Her in doors came to see where her drink was. Saw me, saw the spider, tutted very loudly then picked it up and threw it out of the door. "I was just going to do that" I said. You know when you get that look that says "yep bollox you were". "I'll do the next one then" said I bravely with the hope there won't be one or if there is it's a money spider.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The crumbling world order of etiquette.

The Duchess of Sussex (Meghan).....having had her car door opened for her.....got out and SHUT it.

She had just arrived at the Royal Academy of Arts to attend her first solo event since becoming a Royal.

Some praised her "down to earth" and "humble" attitude, while others joked she may have put someone out of a job.

My thoughts.....I can just hear the gossip below stairs....is it the beginning of the end for Royal flunkies....will mass unemployment be happening....will royal door openers and shutters be joining the dole queues.
    It puts the trivia of life in its place doesn't it.....Brexit, the economy, Trump, Putin, China taking over the world, all in their place and irrelevant.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's what makes us British plym............never mind the world starvation or the end of the planet, but has a rich old lady got enough to sort herself out. Got to get the important questions sorted first for christ sake.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yet another celeb in the news for avoiding a traffic offence by employing a slick bloke for lots of money to come up with a loop hole in the system. David Beckham should hang his head in shame for using his vast wealth to get away with a crime. What kind of message does that send out to both his kids and other kids in this life? Have loads of money and you can just do as you want it seems. Lost a lot of respect for him today.

15. notDistantGreen

Hardly a loophole. They have to serve the ticket within 14 days and they didn't. I know as I've been sweating for the last 2 weeks.. a van parked on the southbound A38 on the bit of grass between the main road and the Lee Mill on-ramp. Is that even safe? Was on cruise control at 76mph which should have been ok and it seems it was. Two and a half weeks ago now....

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

16. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well yes you got away there Not distant .. 76 may be to much with the changes coming.. just had a ticket for one of our vans doing 72, by the leigham slip road by a camera van,, its only 60 in a van they should have know n better.

My van is set at 58, but under 50 on the road works. Even the buses and lorroies are still racing by in the restricted road works.. idiots.

I read that they are trying to get the A38 to 50 , happy with that, its a dreadful road and im up and down that most days.
    These range rover drivers dont hang about either, must get my dash cam back on :emoticon-0140-rofl:

17. notDistantGreen

50 mpg on the A38? FFS.

The ones that irritate me are the little vans. Get right up your arse going downhill at 76mph and then down to 50 going up!

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't drive but it doesn't mean I don't know what's right or wrong in a vehicle. I get fed up with cars, vans and lorries even going past me at umpteen miles per hour in a built up area tail gating the vehicle in front and pressing them to go faster. The amount of drivers who still use their mobiles whilst driving at speed despite all of the publicity is beyond belief. I pointed at a bloke a while back who went past me with his mobile stuck to his ear and he actually stopped his car and shouted out of his window "what the f**k are you looking at you old bastard". I answered him "you and your mobile and not so much of the old". He thought about it for a minute and then just pulled away without getting out. I don't care if these morons kill themselves but mostly it's other people they kill and not them. All the Police would have to do is stand at the bottom of my street and watch the main road to catch a dozen an hour doing it. The fines alone could fix every pothole that exists. 70mph is fine for a motorway or express way but why more than 30 in a housing estate? They just can't resist is why. The fault lies with making cars that will do in excess of 100 mph easily. If you give the capability to some people they will always use it no matter what or where.

19. notDistantGreen

If you can't drive safely at 70mph on the A38 then you aren't fit to drive. Except that corner at the romantic sounding village of Rattery. How's that bend allowed on a trunk road?

20. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well, coaches and lorries pass me, i only keep to 60 in the van. I agree cars are quicker now and most cars Sensible are capable of doing well over a 100 now.

Not that i will do that speed :emoticon-0140-rofl:.. My car has a max speed of 180 mph but no way would i try that not even on a track.. Just drive it sensibly.. its everyone trying to race you. :headbang: