1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just phoned up my House and Contents cover insurers.....asked why it's gone up by £85.00 this coming year....and instantly got a new quote of only an increase of £8.00.....why do they do that ?.....I didn't threaten to go elsewhere....they just reduced it instantly.
    How many clients don't ask why....swings and roundabouts for them....thousands wont query...so bigger profits just like that and this is a major building society.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I'm unclear how women's rights can come into a tennis match between errrm...... 2 women.

Serena Williams is cracking up

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't bother to haggle with insurance anymore. I ring them up and say I've received the quote but what is the real price your company is going to give me because you always do reduce. This year my insurance went up by just over £5 in the end. I asked why they bother to quote something we both know isn't going to happen and got a silence.

The Umpire was a MAN notdistant. He took points off her for various rule breaks and she accused him of sexism. I think she ought to read the rule book myself. Argument being you never take points off men for the same thing. To be fair whilst she may have a point, I don't know if she does or doesn't, but she just made herself look like a spoiled brat.

4. notDistantGreen

Yes I know he was a man but if we're going to get in the situation where women can't have any rules applied to them, then we really are up the creek. Apparently this umpire is known to be a bit of a stickler and has disqualified a couple of men for similar misdemeanours, so she got off lightly.

She irked me with the claim that her ranking should have been protected while she was off due to the birth of her child. Why? If you miss matches for any other reason, your ranking slips. What's the difference except her absence was voluntary?.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Serena Williams.....This women has a huge following and because of that her opinions get maximum airtime.

She has turned a tennis match...in which she was losing into a battle for women's rights and sexual equality.

I feel the tennis world bends over backwards to help her achieve her goals at times being more equal towards her than is necessary.

But enough is enough....she argued that her world ranking should be protected whilst having time off to have a baby (brave man the father of her child).

When top men players such as Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray are injured their world rankings plummet....so why should this women who CHOSE to start a family be treated any different.

In her ranting towards Umpire Carlos Ramos...she was heard to say that she would make sure he never officiated again in one of her matches....how dare she say such a thing...she is not above the rules of tennis....if the draw says he will officiate during one of her games...than so be it....if she refuses then she forfeits the match and gets a fine appropriate to her status....not just a pocket money amount...plus a ban from the sport (yes it is a sport Serena).

She subjected Carlos Ramos to continual abuse during the rest of the match and afterwards as well. He acted in a dignified manner and applied the rules of the game to deal with the situation.....She then turns it into a battle for women's rights and claims sexual equality isn't being protected.

Williams and her followers should bare in mind that she committed offences against the rules of tennis and was punished according to the rules of the game and to turn it into anything is criminal.

How is it equality when a women can win a match over three sets and men have to play up to five sets.....suggests to me that women get an easy route to earning the same prize money as men at tournaments such as Wimbledon.....and quite often a poorer quality match for spectators to enjoy.

Serena Williams and her like are dangerous people that unbalance the view of what equality should actually achieve.

My opinion is that Carlos Ramos should umpire Williams again as soon as possible....his human rights are just as important as Williams are....and if she refuses she can always go away and have another baby.....and watch her world ranking plunge...just like the men's rankings do when their not playing....and I feel she is the liar and the robber, not Ramos....and it is her that is bringing the game into disrepute not the umpire.

PS.....Williams did not show any respect to her opponent Naomi Osaka during her melt down....a player who deserved full credit for playing a blinder against someone who expected to breeze through a match against a first time finalist at a grand slam tournament....didn't Osaka realize who she was playing.....how dare she not read the script and bow before the greatness that Serena Williams thinks she deserves from a first time finalist.

Yes....your right I can't stand the women.

6. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Hear here Mr. Plym.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Jean-Claude Junker yesterday demanded that the European Union governments sacrifice their vetoes on EU foreign policy decisions and called for more national powers to be centralised in Brussels.

The president of the European Commission asked "for a stronger more united Europe" that could flex its muscles as a "global player".

He said that could only be achieved by EU countries pooling their sovereignty to boost the bloc's economic, political and military power, but denied that he was trying to turn the EU into "a superpower".

Mr Junker said the bloc's common foreign policy was inefficient because some measures, such as EU sanctions, needed unanimous support from all EU governments. He wants this replaced with a system of qualified majority vote (QMV), which would take into account the size of countries.

"We must improve our ability to speak with one voice when it comes to our foreign policy", said Mr Junker, who will face stiff opposition from member states. "I think that in relation to certain tax matters we should be able to decide by QMV.

This "will take sovereignty from member states and give it to Brussel's," said Ashley Fox, the leader of Conservative MEP's, who accused the EU of "religiously pursuing ever-closer union.

Part of an article in todays...Daily Telegraph....13/09/2018.

My thoughts.....roll on the 29th March 2019....when we will be free of this horror story that is developing towards a Federal State of Europe.

2.....Hungary faces the loss of its EU voting rights after MEPs triggered a punitive procedure to prevent member countries backsliding on democracy, the rule of law and human rights.

In an unprecedented vote that exposed deep EU divisions, the European Parliament in Strasburg yesterday backed a report calling for Hungary to be sanctioned for its crackdown on non-governmental organisations, the media and universities.

Peter Szijjarto, Budapest's foreign minister, denounced the vote to trigger the Article 7 procedure as the "petty revenge" of pro-immigration politicians". He also claimed that the vote involved "massive fraud" since abstentions were not counted into the final tally, which made it easier to reach the needed majority.

My thoughts.....It will be even easier for the EU to dominate its member States with QMV voting.

8. notDistantGreen

The rise of the far right and its racist poison, whether it is in the UK, Hungary, the USA or even Sweden, must be resisted by all available means. And a leftie I'm not.

9. notDistantGreen

So the suspects accused them of trying to kill Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury last March turn out to be typical Russian tourists after all.

They arrived in London on Friday evening and after a night in an hotel, decided on the Saturday not to take in any of the sights and attractions of a major European capital but instead to go to Salisbury, famed only for its Anglican cathedral, which they obviously preferred to the minor attractions of St Pauls and Westminster Abbey. They arrived at in Salisbury at 14:25. Apparently being used to the balmy climes of Russian winters, they were somewhat put off by some slush following earlier snowfalls but were so enthralled they stayed until 16:10, a stay of nearly 2 hours!

On Sunday, they repeated their journey to Salisbury, arriving at 11:48 and by 11:58 were by coincidence in the vicinity of Sergei Skripal's house in a 1970's housing estate whilst searching for the aforementioned cathedral. They stayed in Salisbury until 13:50, a stay of over 2 hours this time and by 19:28, they were so sated with the heady delights of Wiltshire's most famous place, they were on a plane back to Moscow.

During their time in London, they had lost one bag they were filmed bringing through Gatwick airport on their arrival and on leaving through Heathrow, had gained another bag which didn't come through Gatwick on the way in.

I'm entirely convinced and I'm sure you are too. Whatever were we thinking of?

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

At least in lovely Salisbury it is hard to get lost....when you've got over 400 ft of Cathedral spire to guide you....:emoticon-0108-speec.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You're just an old cynic notdistant. Wanting to visit Stonehenge and the slush on the streets convinced me. After all we all know that one snow flake and everything comes to a halt don't we.

12. notDistantGreen

You'd think........

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Russia is peace-loving but prepared to defend its national interests, Vladimir Putin has said during the country's largest military exercises since the Cold War.

Speaking to 30,000 Russian and Chinese troops lined up at the Tsugol training zone, east of Lake Baikal, the president said Russia sought co-operation with other countries.

At the same time, he stressed that the manoeuvres, called Vostok 2018 and said to include a third of Russia's active military personnel, were the first time the army and navy had undergone such a "complex and large-scale test".

"Russia is a peace-loving nation. We do not have and cannot have any plans of aggression," Mr Putin said.

My thoughts......That will settle any concerns in the Ukraine about their neighbour.....or is that just "fake news".

2....."Tennis stars are not bigger than the game itself,"...Mats Wilander, the winner of seven major titles, once said. Try telling that to Serena Williams. Her behaviour in berating umpire Carlos Ramos at the US Open, coupled with the abject responses of executives desperate not to criticise her, spoke of a player whose alpha-female power was out of control.

Nobody disputes Serena's place as a pioneer or an icon, but something has gone drastically awry when the headline act becomes shielded from the slightest rebuke.

This sadly, was the impression from a pitiful statement by Katrina Adams, in which the president of the US tennis Association could not bring herself to offer anything but gushing about Serena's "class", is now officially above the law.

My thoughts.....Equality is needed in Tennis....when will men get the same protection as Williams seems to have from her pedestal one step below God.

3.....Cornish pasties should be made with filo pastry and not shortcrust in an effort to tackle obesity, health leaders in the county have said.

A row has erupted after the head of facilities at the Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust revealed she was seeking a method of producing the historic local snack using lighter pastry more closely associated with Middle Eastern cuisine.

Jill Venables said that while filo pastry is still high in fat, it has fewer calories than shortcrust and should be served in local hospitals instead of the local pasty. But local producers have reacted sceptically, criticising the "nanny NHS" and warning that a new name would need to be found for the filo alternative because the Cornish pasty is a protected food.

Ms Venables told the Public Health England conference that some hospitals visitors eat three Cornish pasties a day.

While acknowledging there is "nothing evil" about a traditional pasty, which can comprise up to 800 calories, she said she wanted to "save patients" lives, which is why we are focusing on therapeutic diets.

"Cornish people will probably throw me out of Cornwall but I'm working on a few recipes, using a few alternative things to shortcrust pastry."

A spokesman for the Cornish Pasty Association, which represents producers, said: "We believe the Cornish pasty recipe has stood the test of time and will continue to do so.

"We see no reason why Cornish pasties can't still be enjoyed by anyone as part of a healthy balanced diet."

My thoughts.....Three Cornish pasties a day....that can only be done as long as they're not Ginsters.....:emoticon-0119-puke::emoticon-0119-puke::emoticon-0119-puke:.

All articles taken from the Daily Telegraph 14/09/2018.

14. notDistantGreen

Only three? What do they have with their coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon?

please log in to view this image

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jam & cream scones.

16. notDistantGreen

Possibly, but only ever this way up.

upload_2018-9-14_15-50-17.jpeg

17. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Lovely pic. That's it i'm coming home.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So is that Devon or Cornwall...with the cream on top ?

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think that's Devon. To be honest it has never bothered me which way round the jam and cream go. As long as there is loads of both on the scone who cares. I don't believe all that scare mongering about people eating 3 pasties a day in hospital visits either. The only people who do that on a regular basis are those over 25 stone. The number of visitors over 25 stone going to hospitals are few and far between. They just made that crap up. I read also earlier that the same powers that be want pasty makers to change the pastry they make pasties with. Well it won't be a fecking pasty if you muck about with it will it. Just bugger off and leave things alone is my advice. If people want to eat 3 pasties a day then that's their death and nothing to do with the state.

I notice there is a move to ban a load of advertising as well these days. Ban betting adverts and especially before the 9pm watershed. This is one example of the world gone nuts. The only kids in bed before 9pm these days are at junior school. These are kids who don't nick their parents credit cards and waste the balance on gambling. The ones who might are over that age and are often up until gone 10pm so an early ban makes no difference. Ban fast food adverts. As if kids today have no idea what a MacDonalds looks like without seeing an advert for it. I don't see adverts everywhere for pasties so how come there is this problem with people eating multiple pastries daily. If they want to ban adverts then I can think of a few. I get a bit fed up with watching adverts where women find a certain kind of absorbing pants a god send. So much so that the camera has to focus on that part of the anatomy to emphasise the fact you can't see them wearing it. Itchy parts and windy bits are all over the screens. Smelly toilet stuff to block out pongs. It bleddy smells folks whoever you are. Get over it and open a window if you must. Maybe it's just me getting old and grumpy.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Its just you getting old and grumpy.....:p.

The hospital doesn't want you eating three pastys on their premises....its the last place they want people to be taken ill.....poorly people in an hospital.....God forbid.