1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our work in the transfer market is done

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Pretty much.... according to Emery's latest quotes... how do you think we stack up ahead of the new season? (Unless there's a shift in plan, we will not be getting in any new players, we might see outgoings though).

I think it has been more of a quiet rebuild than a spectacular summer full of crazy marquee signings. And I get the feeling it was needed. I like the simple pragmatism that our hierarchy have gone about their work with. We need to stabilize after two rocky seasons. Hopefully our new signings bed in and we can look forward to an auspicious season.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Would like to see us sign another attacking/creative midfielder. Especially with both Cazorla and Wilshere leaving, even though both haven't featured that much over the last couple of seasons anyway.

Was pretty sure we were in for Banega, and whilst Torreira and Guendouzi seem like decent signings, they seem more defensive minded. I worry we still lack a deep lying play maker.

Very happy with the defensive side of things though. All of the problem areas in defence that Wenger seemed to dither over for years have been addressed by Emery and his team in a matter of months.

Let's see what this season brings, but I expect us to be much tighter at the back <ok>

3. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Football's coming home...…..

PINKIE likes this.
  4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Interesting that Emery talked up Ramsey soo much in the press conference.

“I am very happy with him,” Emery said of Ramsey. “Every training is with the ambition I want, working with quality and the competitive spirit I want. I want to work with him. His future is a question for the player and club. I said to Ivan, Raúl and Sven [Gazidis, Sanllehí and Mislintat, the collective dealing with contracts and transfers] he’s an important player for me.”

Hopefully the board will get their **** together and tie him down to a decent contract.

PINKIE likes this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Pretty sure we'll get this one done <ok>

6. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think we've done some good business with signings that should make a positive impact. It's areas in which we have been lacking over the years so i'm glad these have been pinpointed first. We already have a good first team so wasn't really in need of an overhaul. Also, the new manager will bring a fresh optimism, motivation and impedance from the players already here. I'll take one of Wenger's quotes, "They will come back like new signings". I think in this instance they will.

PINKIE likes this.
  7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

A lot of players became complacent, dejected, weren't being coached, ran out of new ideas. The new coaching set up should address that and like you say with a new manager, there should be a fresh optimism and motivation from the players to impress.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  8. TheBear

I think Xhaka could be the player who makes the biggest improvement under Emery.
    [mini rant ahead..]

For a start when he first arrived at Arsenal - he got booked and sent off in a succession of games.
    Wenger then went to the media and explained "He’s not a great tackler. I would encourage him to stay on his feet’ says Wenger. He should refrain from tackling" - Everything about this pissed me off at the time.

Firstly as a deep lying midfielder sometimes a last ditch tackle is 1. worth a card/foul and 2. absolutely necessary.

Secondly - you dont tell a player not to tackle because it's not something they are not good at. What you do is coach them to be better at it!!

Xhaka is a player with great passing ability, he's a fairly strong robust player and he has a fantastic long range shot. Also I like the fact he's somewhat hot headed. There's no reason why he cant make big improvements under Emery.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree with this. He’s shown flashes of his potential and he had a decent World Cup too. Also with Torreria alongside him he’ll have a more defensive minded midfielder to help him out.

But the biggest thing should be his coaching. He’s clearly a player who’s willing to put in a shift and get stuck in, which Emery will like and he also has the talent to become a top quality player. He’s a bit rough around the edges and needs to sort out his positioning and to be able to read danger quicker, but these are things that I’d expect Emery to address quite quickly

10. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

That statement from Wenger probably sums up in a nutshell why we went backwards as a team so quickly in recent years. No desire to change anything, just give up. "I can't tackle therefore I try not to go to ground as much as possible". Really weak minded kind of thing to say. Where was the coaching and the desire to keep improving and getting better?

TheBear and PINKIE like this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Following on from the theme of 'leaders'. Emery saying that he wants five 'captians' on the pitch and is assessing the personalities of the players in order to ensure that we have strong leaderships skills on the pitch.

If I had to choose:

Koscienly
    Lichsteiner
    Sokratis
    Monreal
    Ramsey

TheBear likes this.
  12. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

With CR7 moving to Juve, the likes of Dybala and Douglas Costa may be pinchable.

What if we try flogging Elneny (I do like him!), Ozil (big fan!), Welbeck to try get Dybala and Douglas Costa. I would go in the red to get Dybala in. He will sell shirts and excite the fan base. Douglas Costa is needed as we don't have a pure winger. Cheaper option to Ousmane Dembele too. If we really want to push it we can also bring in Nzonzi.

a team with a Torreira, Nzonzi, Ramsey MF and a Dybala + Costa + Aubameyang looks delicious!

13. TheBear

If we add another player for sure it will be just the one.

Would love Dyabala at Arsenal though. Costa would be a decent signing also.

I cant help but think it will be Andre Gomes or Nzonzi - rather than another forward.

14. TheBear

The thing is there's a high chance players will be sold.. which would make the likleyhood of more signings increase.

The Metro claims that the new Arsenal boss is prioritising a move for a ‘fast, direct winger’ but also wants a new left-back. And to fund two more acquisitions, Arsenal need to trim their squad.

Akpom looks like he's about to go.
    Wellbeck being linked to Everton.
    Surely we wont keep both Opsina and Cech.(Ospina is the more likley to be sold)
    Monreal being linked to a move back to Spain.
    Mustafi being linked to Roma now.

15. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I'm all for him doing this. He should get the players he thinks fits his vision and not try and fit what he has due to having no choice. We have plenty of decent players that haven't set the world alight, so why keep hold of them. Over the years we've kept players that should have been moved on much quicker. I'm pleased that this is happening and he can use the money to finance new deals. We haven't been this proactive in the market since the early days.

16. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

From an outsiders pov your signings , whilst not exciting , seem sensible and , on paper , have addressed some of the obvious issues with your team.
    I would say far more interesting than the individual signings is to see what the improvement in the existing players/team ethic is under Emery.
    Personally think you may do better than many expect though that is dependant on Emery causing an upturn in individual performances and team dynamic .

TheBear likes this.
  17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Google the Cech before and after photos to see the effects of Emery training already.

I expect fitness, strength, hard work, high pressing and high lines.

18. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Its often the best way, build up the core of your side. We didn't really need flashy overpriced signings at this point. Squad has been decimated in recent windows and needs careful attention rather than more papering over the cracks. We can get the more expensive players later. Keeping our cards close to our chest for now.

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Hearing we might be in for Kingsley Coman from Bayern Munich <yikes>

Would be a ****ing scoop if we pull that one off.

20. TheBear

Great player - not sure why Bayern would let him go.
    Still linked with Dembele too.