1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our next 8 games .....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Apart from the Sheffield game, our next 8 games should all be fairly comfortable wins, i know it don't always work like that but.....i think we may win all 8 and i think by mid March we will be top of the pile!!

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I agree Spanish,I think (hope) this has been our wobble and we'll kick on from here.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

I agree Al, hopefully this is our bit of poor form. Get the new players in and away we go.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Sign that centre back and get Edwards, Humphreys, Hirst, Broadhead in the starting XI.

Let’s have teams fearing us.

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I share the more optimistic thoughts on here.

6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I think next week away at Oxford is not an easy game by any means. I know we beat them 3-0 at home but they are not a bad side. That to me, is a must win. Too many draws recently have us playing catch up and then only way to do that is to string a few wins together

Redruth likes this.
  7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

We won’t win eight games on the bounce. I know we’ve had a great first half of the season, but we really shouldn’t underestimate League One. We’ve finished mid-table for the last three seasons and teams always raise their game against the so called “big boys” in this division. We aren’t owed anything and this division has had our number for a few years now.

What we do have now is a higher standard of players, a clear system and playing style that’s working for us, and a young manager who is steadily improving (a few draws aside). We have our best chance of promotion since getting relegated. With a bit more investment and hopefully a more refined way to play (against sides that sit deep, cede 70% of possession to us, and play for the draw), we’ll start turning draws to wins and leapfrog one of Sheffield Wednesday or Plymouth to the automatic promotion places.

8. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Great summary Nuggets

fieldmarshall likes this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s only working for us if we get promoted. Ridiculous levels of form are needed for automatic promotion (2 points per game there or thereabouts). If we don’t get back to it in the next few games then we’ll be too far behind, possibly in fourth or fifth, and we won’t be able to recover it. That’s a lot of pressure to be under and it’s not the first time we’ll have started well and then bottled it.

For me, McKenna really needs to be a bit more positive and roll the dice a bit so we don’t sleep walk the opportunity away.

itfcptc likes this.
  10. Spanish

Says the font of all ****ing knowledge!! Maybe you don't think we will but to state 'we wont'....... Personally i think it's doable and we are better than all 8, except for Sheff Wednesday, who we are on a par with. So, play to.our potential and we most certainly stand a good chance of winning all 8

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

If we can extinguish our stand-out weaknesses, which we all saw in this period of throw away games, then of course winning 8 is doable, but in reality, unlikely.

KM I am sure reads our comments, and needs to change his last quarter strategy.

We are a fine team, a pool of talented players, a transformed club, on a huge learning curve. We need to realise our potential more consistently on the pitch.

If we find the groove and play as we know we can, strengthened by fresh players, then I remain confident that we will overtake one or the other.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

A cat’s chance in hell of winning eight on the bounce let alone a good chance.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Maybe my tone was a bit forthright, apologies for any offence. I think that winning eight games in a row - while not impossible - is highly unlikely. For reference, our club record is nine consecutive wins and that was achieved under Sir Bobby in the early 80s.

We’ve got a strong team, but it’s not some well-oiled winning machine. We could go eight games unbeaten, including draws, but I agree that wins are what we need. This division isn’t filled with chump teams. We’ve been above average, at best, for the previous three years. We have a better team and club now, but I’d eat my hat if we won eight league games in a row from now.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  14. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

looking at the last 5 games, you have to drop down to Bristol Rovers in 9th & Port Vale in 11th to find a team that has not gotten more points than us, then you drop down to pompey in 15th to find the first team with less points than us over the last 5 games.
    However apart from the owls all the teams we are playing in the next 8 league games are out of the top 6, which are the only teams we seem to be able to beat regularly ( I know we beat Derby but they were out of the top 6 then)

15. Spanish

Fair enough boys but i think from the next 8 games, the least we will get is 20 pts!!

Redruth likes this.
  16. Spanish

Also, please take into account that for a few weeks we were playing with a team that was far from 100%, apparently nearly every player was ill at some stage! Now everyone is fit and we'll....i expect us to kick on big time!!

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

I share your optimism Spanish with a dose of dewy eyed misty reality acquired over 60 yrs of living the dream as a Townie!

Redruth and Nuggets like this.
  18. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Whether we can or we cant is yet to be seen but one thing i hope we can all agree on is these games are bloody crucial to our season, Sheff Wed we always knew would be right up there, a lot of us thought Plymouth would blow up by now and still might but it hasnt happened, Bolton look good, but if we win our games we consolidate our position and put pressure on the teams above and around us.
    Our season has been better than most of us thought possible but the real business starts now for me.

19. Spanish

Ffs, i meant the next 8 games after the oxford game!!

20. Southcoastoldgaffer

At least my round of drinks is safe non starter Spanish!

Spanish likes this.