1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Other Sports

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, May 5, 2011.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Ok - so we are all interested in football. But if there was no football - not only during the close season but just no football at all, what sport would you have played or watched and why?

I love racket sports and played tennis, badminton and squash. I particulary liked squash as you could get knackered in a lunchtime and then go back to work after a shower feeling really good.

I also liked tennis as you could arrange a game with friends very easily.

Golf was a game I know I would have enjoyed but never found the time for it. Rugby was a great game but at only 5' 8"" and quite slender (in my youth) I used to get pounded - I played as a wing half and just used my speed to get past people

Finally most forms of gymnastics and athletics I enjoyed - especially cross country as you used to get out of school as soon as you finished

2. tworossjenkins

All of them!! Baseball and cricket good - have a thread on Middlesex on this site. Tried for Olympic tickets for Water polo and Judo. Cycling - Giro this weekend and TDF in July - anywhere near you ofh??. Mind you 2RJ minor plays Frisbee and Croquet at University - a bit too far maybe!!!!

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Funnily - I played frisbee and croquet at Uni too - but I think a lot of alcohol helped :)

4. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

I normally play centre back in football. Can't kick or head a ball to save my life, but my positioning and work rate makes me slightly less incompetent than I should be.

Other than that, 400m and 800m, shooting and carting are sports I've spent serious amounts of time doing. I'm terrible at "summer" sports though (tennis, cricket, badminton etc).

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I used to love playing squash too - for me it was like a drug. Had been an occasional player for years but when I stopped playing football/rugby, I joined a squash team & worked my up through the ranks, playing four times a week. Actually won a medal for it - only bronze though.

Also spent a few years playing and coaching basketball - had an ulterior reason for the coaching though - a womens team :biggrin:

6. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Rugby , footy and Cricket , swimming and table tennis , and the more relaxing past time of Chess!

7. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes Tworossjenkins, this year the TDF will be quite close again. A stage finish is at Chateauroux, about three quarters of an hour north from here. The next stage should be even closer but I haven't got the map out yet. We did go to see them go by two years ago. I wanted to say that I had seen Lance Armstrong in the flesh before he retired. Although we were positioned just after a right angled bend, they went past so quickly that I only recognised him by his socks. If you really want to see the riders you need to be on a mountain stage, or get home to watch the TV.

8. bring-back-tamas

Im lucky in that im naturally a very sporty person, learning new sports comes easily to me - ive dabbled in rugby, cricket, squash, track & field, tennis, and badminton, but nothing has ever come close to my love of football. Since NNW has named his position, im interested to know where everyone else plays - my personal favourite is left wing (we all love cutting in and having a pop at goal ;) ).

Just an idea: we should create the Official Watford Not606 All-Star Team. So far its me on the left and NNW at centre-back - who else wants to stake a claim? :biggrin:

9. Norwayhornet

I played in goal!

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

At 5'.8" I have to be one of the shortest keepers on record. However I did win a medal when my team were runners up in our league. Certainly there is truth in the saying that keepers get better with age. I was into my thirties when I hit my prime. ;) Scott will get better.

11. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Footie left back but not got the speed required anymore so would move into the centre. Other sports Golf, Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, Squash, Running (distance), coached and been president of swimming club here with commonwealth Gold medal swimmer from our ranks but swimmings a case of know how but not able to!!!! Personal favorite is the weights in the gym these days oh and cycling. Must admit I'm also fond of the sport of horizontal nocturnal aerobics played with the Mrs.......

12. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Used to run down the right wing like a mix of David Beckham and Ginola combined, unfortunately I had the ball control and passing ability of Danny ****tu and the pace of an ageing Teddy Sheringham (we always played on a sunday afternoon, really not easy with a hangover :( )

13. Norwayhornet

Ok so we have Frenchie in Goal ,I will go to centre half then;)

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Are you able to run still Norway? I thought your knees were shot.

A friend of mine out here has bad knees and has been having injections of something to keep the bones apart.

I think it is polyfilla. ;)

15. Norwayhornet

Been on the omega 3 ,and fish oil tabs , running around like a teenager mate ...............at least 10metres until I need a breather :)

16. Norwayhornet

I do walk over 10km most days with the dogs:)

17. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i used to play netball, hockey and tennis at school, but i enjoy watching cricket and baseball :)

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used to love chess - not played for years though - also am a bit of a Contract Bridge addict

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Only Cup I ever won was for go-karting - love that too

20. Norwayhornet

Just remembered as a kid I used to go to Hemel and apsley Boxing club<ok> that was fun and good to release any pent up anger!!!

Chess I used to be ok ,but am very rusty now and the chess app on the phone murders me ! played 3 lost 3 at the mo!