1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

I have some mates who are Spurs fans who dont think that much of Levy. His defence will no doubt be he makes financial decisions based on the clubs means but i suspect the £1 billion stadium repayments impact how much they have for player transfers. Personally i was quite surprised Kane opted to join Bayern. Not because they’re not a huge club but because he could have gone anywhere on a free at the end of this season and the history between Kane and Levy. A few seasons back Kane had what he thought was a gentleman’s agreement with Levy to sign for Man City. Levy reneged on it leaving plenty of egg on the faces of Kane and his agent (his brother). Kane could have really kicked Levy in the bollocks by refusing the Bayern move and leaving on a free in 2024.

2. Chaninbar

Just one other thing on the Kane transfer. If he had stayed and ending up surpassing Shearer’s goals he would still be miles behind the English top flight’s best ever - Jimmy Greaves. It really pisses me off that Sky and the BBC operate as though they invented football in the early 90s.

Bustino74, SwanHills and NassauBoard like this.
  3. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Well, Chaninbar, you’ve got me going now!
    I’m a great fan of both Shearer and Greaves.
    When Spurs and Burnley had the two best teams in late fifties/early sixties, I remember Greaves scoring a wonderful goal at Turf Moor…with a bouncing ball just outside the box towards the right wing, he made Jimmy Adamson, Burnley’s captain, look silly by looping the ball over his head with the instep of his left foot- and then slotting it in the far corner past Blacklaw.
    It was like poetry in motion. A goal for all the ages!
    Having said all that, my father would have disagreed with you re. England’s best ever.
    He admired both Shearer and Greaves, but said they didn’t hold a candle to Arsenal’s left winger from the thirties, Cliff Bastin..
    Thirty three goals from the wing- and he was deaf in one ear.
    So Bolshie yours truly challenged him..
    33 goals from 42 games. Not bad .
    But what about Billy Meredith?
    32 goals from only 31 games in the season?
    No answer!<laugh>
    It’s all a matter of opinion, eh?<ok>

Chaninbar likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I never understood the situation regarding sale of players. Obviously once the contract expires, the player is a free agent but, until then, surely selling the player is a breach of contract unless the player agrees. So how does that work if the player refuses to go?

5. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

He stays.

Ron likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers Nass. In that case I'm surprised he didn't stay and become a free agent. Maybe some financial enticement

upload_2023-8-14_13-57-36.png

7. NassauBoard

I think it has more to do with what he wants to do at the end of his career. If he wants to play for Spurs again, then what better way of keeping the club on side than to give them a nice paycheck whilst he goes off and competes in Europe?

Also, which other top European club would he fit into?

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well there's Wycombe and Chesterfield for starters

Tamerlo likes this.
  9. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

<laugh>....and QPR, of course. As long as he does not mind a half-crown old money a day, and a 'healthy' bonus of two-half crowns for a win? <whistle>

Ron likes this.
  10. NassauBoard

wouldn’t get a start for us.

SwanHills and Ron like this.

11. Chaninbar

Sorry Tamerlo i didn’t phrase my post very well. When i said Greaves was the best ever I meant he holds THE record for most goals in Englands top flight league. My point was more about Sky/BBC overlooking anything pre premier league. Shearer is 140 odd goals behind Greaves.

12. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Hi,Chaninbar. No problem.
    Greaves was fantastic anyway you look at it.<ok>

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we would take him on crutches. A goal before Christmas would be nice

14. stick

stick Bumper King

Do you want Gareth back?

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I just wish he hadn't gone. We were on a 5 winning streak when he left with a fighting chance of the play offs. That went to pot as soon as he left. Our new manager brought in 9 new players and we've lost both our league games 3-0 <steam>

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

How do you think you'll do in the cup Stick?
    They're normally close and difficult games between us.
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you turned us over on Wednesday.

17. stick

stick Bumper King

we are notoriously rubbish in all cup competitions in the last twenty years, you should have no bother if you send a proper team

18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth! Utterly useless in all cup competitions for ages. Better to get this season's cup stuff over with, and concentrate on trying to stay-up in the Championship league. Don't mean to sound negative, but it has to be commonsense, although yet again!

Bustino74 likes this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You will be OK. Gareth builds a team where the ability of the team is greater than the sum of the individuals and demands total dedication and a never say die attitude. However good an individual is, if his heart isn't in it he will find himself on the bench or worse and be replaced by someone who will give their all. It's not so unusual these days to have 30% possession and win. These pretty passing, high pressing teams are vulnerable to swift breaks from defence. "Park the bus" to make it very difficult to penetrate the defence then make the most of the possession with speed and accuracy. What people are calling "attractive football" is, I find, extremely boring and I'm seeing games lost because of it

SwanHills likes this.
  20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

This just popped up on YouTube and I've never seen it before but it reminded me of the Bairstow "stumping" and the discussion we had about the Australian "win at all costs" mentality. Cheating twats more like, got what they deserved here <laugh>