1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT. what's your lager.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

I'm now 41. Back in the day I used to drink krone burg Stella any 5% Er. Now I find it slightly tasteless. My tipple of choice is now Leffe but I would like some suggestions to further educate my palate. Any advice? Bear in mind I have three kids 4 and under so don't go out much so draught is not really an option.

2. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

Lager turns me into a burp machine so I drink Boddingtons or John Smiths, its far smoother.

I did like a local german brew a mate bought over as a present though.

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

John Smith's Extra Smooth is as good as you'll get in a can, Tetley's Smoothflow is also reasonable. I can't stomach lagers, too gassy for me. Plenty of decent real ales, Wetherspoons usually have a good range with regular guest ales...

4. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Before my abstinence I had a fondness for that Turkish lager Efes.

5. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

Never come across it.

6. Flyer

Flyer Well-Known Member

For me real ales taste like dishwater, I find them revolting. JS/Boddies really are like drinking tap beer for me.

7. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Wadworths 6X
    San Miguel always tastes great in Spain
    I like an Amstel when in Belgium or northern France
    Doombar or Deuchars pre match in any northern away town - ideally Barnsley or 'Uddersfield
    A cerise kriek always welcome
    Hoogaerden or a Leffe Blonde
    Current favourite Farmers Blonde by Bradfield Brewery - a really nice pub pint
    A good tip when we play Derby away is a pint of Father Mike at the Brunswick opposite Derby station

Not that I drink much mind

8. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

John Smiths smooth, any ale brewed by Shepard Neame (I like to keep local companies in business).
    In my younger years it was Newcastle Brown, I stopped drinking that after a visit to the north east it tasted so much better up there than it did in London.

9. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Lebanese lager Almaza is very easy to drink and no hangover.
    I'd also recommend Portugese lager Sagres.

10. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

I lived in Aussie for a year and loved VB long neck. Mind you may have been the climate.

11. inkedupp

inkedupp Active Member

cider is my normal weapon of choice but on hols superbok and sagris were very nice with no bad side effects.

12. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Yes sagres isn't bad. It's named after a small town on the coast in the Algarve. I went there once. I am partial to peroni myself.

13. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law lives in Paris and suggested Leffe to me, which is available here in Canada and I enjoy drinking (only $2.35 a bottle, so not bad for a premium beer). Of course you encounter that bottom fermentation yeast when you pour this beer into a glass, which gives it a cloudy look if you don't catch it and swig it back from the bottle.This beer has an orangey citrus taste.

Years ago, my Mother, who normally didn't drink beer (aside from our family tradition on Christmas morning with pork pie, potted meat, side of ham & crusty bread), but she had a thing for Stella Artois draught - lady half pint glass of course.

I turn 60 this year, and in the early 1970's was big into CAMRA with my brother living in London. This movement was a reaction to the large breweries attempt to convert a whole generation of young beer drinkers to buy Watney's Red Barrel type fizzy beer sold in pressurized metal casks that was much more convenient for them to brew and keg then transport to pubs, compared to wooden barrels of less fizzy more naturally brewed beer, drawn by head pressure from the pub cellar, that required for sediment to settle in the bottom of the barrel to settle after delivery to the pub.

With my brother and friends we would trek off the beaten track to find a CAMRA book listed pubs, in London, sometimes well out in the countryside but always with a parking lot packed full of like-minded customers.

I recall a great house party where a good size keg of Young's Winter Warmer was purchased and served off the kitchen counter top, tapped off into glasses.

My own first pub bought beer, aged around 15, was a pint of mild, cost only 11d - when there were 240 pennies to the pound!

http://www.camra.org.uk/

14. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Weltenburger Kloster Beer if you can get it, heavenly. http://www.weltenburger.de/en/beer-treat/
    Easier beer to get is the Paulaner, also a Munich based weissbier. Very good.

Love the Thai beers Singha and Chang, very fresh.

Recently I've enjoyed the Spanish beer Estrella, has a rich taste for a light beer.

Personal favourites is also Red Stripe and features various ranges of Tuborg (not the regular one). And like Uber I'm a fan of Efes after numerous trips to Turkey, my prefered summer beer.

Oh oh oh I forgot! Brooklyn Lager, highly recommended, excellent taste.

please log in to view this image

By the way, great thread <ok> :)

15. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

Thanks. Great advice from all. I will return again and again and again to this thread.

16. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I found Chang way too strong and terrible for hangovers. After 4/5 bottles, you would be flying.

Stella Artois in Belgium is really nice. I wouldn't touch it in London, especially on draught.

As I am diabetic, I try to drink light beers if possible as they contain less sugar. My favourite is, Miller Lite.

17. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Here in Canada I often check the Beer Advocate website before buying new beer.

More geared towards North American beers, but a lot of European imports there too.

You might require a free membership to drill down to the individual beers/breweries.

http://beeradvocate.com/

18. Queenslander!!

Queenslander!! Well-Known Member

You BOGAN..No one here drinks that. Its like you lot drinking Fosters...Just for tourists...Try XXXX....<laugh>

19. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

With three children under four and at the age of 41, I can only suggest you change to spirits and and make them triples!;)
    If you must drink beer, why not try a Fourex or the lighter version, Fourex Gold.

please log in to view this image

20. The other R in Houston

The other R in Houston Well-Known Member

Any of the Brooklyn's are good, and I'd also recommend anything from Goose Island - especially the Sofie, which is a great American take on a Belgian ale.