1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - Swearing on TV

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Staines R's, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Now I'm definitely no prude and use swear words more often than are really necessary but tonight has got me thinking how far now can TV go ?

I've just watched 'Penny Dreadful' and noticed the liberal use of the 'C' word on more than a few occasions. Also it's been used on various TV programmes recently (GOT, Spartacus, The Sopranos to name but a few) and just got wondering, is it that we are so used to that word now and has it lost all shock value of only a few years ago ? Or does it still shock the vast majority who hear it on TV ?
    Can TV go any further to shock us ?

Any ideas ?

2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I hate it. My daughter is 9 years old and we're hard pressed to find family films we can all watch that aren't Disney Cert. U type stuff that's she feels she's getting too old for. Even the odd Cert. 12 film we've tried has had unanticipated but blatant sexual references or use of the F-word. I appreciate that you can't wrap kids in cotton wool and that they're going to hear this stuff in the playground, but I want her to retain her innocence a little longer if it's all the same to the broadcasters.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Depends on the show - Spartacus, GoT etc no need, gritty social realism reflecting the way real people really talk, fine. I'd quite like to see a sweary version of The Hobbit though.

I like swearing, and was practicing loudly in a bar/restaurant in the most Republican suburb of Indianapolis last night (think something slightly to the right of Norman Tebbit). I wasn't doing it to shock (and no kids allowed in this bar, so only alleged adults around), was just relaxing and expressing myself clearly and accurately after a heavy day of being buttoned up and polite, with people who didn't deserve the courtesy. No one got upset or complained (or even noticed probably) a couple of my colleagues were enjoying the performance, but a couple looked a bit uncomfortable (including, sadly, my boss). f** 'em its only words. Have to say, I only use the C-word in rare and extreme circumstances though, it still has the power to shock for me, and even though its just an expression, feels too misogynistic for comfort. **** is merely punctuation.

Discovered my 14 year old daughter had seen, and enjoyed, Wolf of Wall Street, which includes lavish, continuous, high calibre swearing (along with drug abuse and many other misdemeanors). It's a good film, but nowhere near Goodfellas. I did mention that the language was a bit strong, and she correctly responded with 'nothing worse than I hear at home'. I left it there, I'd much rather she looked at stuff like this than teen vampire bollocks.

BTW Staines, I flew out of Terminal 2 for the first time coming here, and am waiting to fly back there now. Not as flash as I was expecting, but at least it has natural light. Some of the gates are miles away from the main terminal, they should put one of those trains in, like Madrid.

4. Staines R's

Would be interested in hearing your opinion, as a very frequent traveller, on what you think upon arrival, and baggage delivery. After speaking to a few people who work over there, it seems things aren't good......and they are dreading when the next wave of airlines start using it.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I won't get to test it this time mate, just have carry on. Have to say the check in area was a bit chaotic, big queues even for business and first class ( I just used a machine), but that's United's fault - definitely the worst of the big US carriers in my experience, only using them because the price and schedules were right this time. Their hub airports - Newark, Washington, Chicago are all revolting. Much prefer Delta or US Airways, who have better cabin design and cabin staff too.

6. Staines R's

And of course .....You can't beat BA ;)

I look forward to being able to look after you someday.......:)

7. Keith6667

Keith6667 Member

Staines - back to your original thread re swearing on TV (and in general)!

Most of us blokes swear on occasion, myself included (rarely the "F" word and never the "C" word) and only in the company of my mates
    and out of earshot of women and children.

I do this because I still think it is right and proper not to swear in front of any woman or child, and try and show a little respect for them!

Unfortunately the trend over a number of years now has been to swear ever more often and ever more explicitly, by both men and women alike,
    totally disregarding anyone within earshot including their own wives and husbands and unbelievably in front of their own children.

To me the inability of so many people, to string more than two words together without the use of these profanities is yet another indication of how
    our country is ever more quickly going down the drain.

I shall probably be the recipient of a torrent of abuse on this thread now - but someone has to stand up and say it how it is!!

Oh for the England I used to be a part of. Not perfect by any means, but so much better then.

8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Swearing is a slightly odd subject for me. My father was an inveterate foul-mouth (in an amusing way, mostly), whilst my mother was a bit prudish in that respect. My father would play up to this, and took amusement from 'shocking' my mother with his language. My mother's influence prevailed over me, however, and I never swore in front of either of my parents.

It’s said that girls marry men like their fathers, well I married a woman like my mother. Consequently, swearing has always been taboo in my house and to this day my daughters (ages 29 and 23) are slightly shocked to hear me swear in any circumstance. In contrast, my son (aged 15), who accompanies me to football, and to pubs before and after, is only too aware of his father’s creative swearing ability.

Swearing should be about emphasis, and, if used well, can enhance a statement. Used badly, swearwords are merely superfluous punctuation.

As to swearing on TV, I’m not offended by any swearword used appropriately, but I don’t like ‘affected’ profanity. Just keep it natural.

9. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sadly, it is now all too common. As has been said, when out with mates it's no big deal but I don't like doing it especially if kids are about.

Funnily enough I've heard some dire swearing from clients on the phone in the back of my car, you just don't expect it especially in conference calls which are ever more common now.

As Stan says, f*ck is merely punctuation these days. It's also the world's most versatile word as listed here...

http://justin.justnet.com.au/rudestuff/uses-of-the-word-****.html

10. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Hi Staines. You remember I was on the panel of volunteers to test terminal 2. Out of the blue yesterday, I got another call to be part of a squad to test terminal 2 . Not sure what or how.....but an indication that all is not well. By the way will pm you about next weekend

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

if heathrow are willing to pay my travel expenses I am more than willing to put t2 to the test for free

12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with the vast majority of comments already made, and admit to a liberal use of in the main unnecessary expletives in certain company, I do think that in general swearing may be evidence of a poor vocabulary in many (myself included) and of unfortunate habit in others (myself included). You just have to eavesdrop conversations between young males these days and it's stuff like:

"I didn't get up until ****ing ten, had some ****ing breakfast, caught the ****ing bus after a ****ing row with my ****ing old man. Whose ****ing round is it?"

Not exactly Shakespeare.

An old boss of mine from some years back told of the time when he was a student in Durham and was set upon crossing a bridge by a group of skinheads. He was knocked to the ground and recalls the last words he heard before he passed out were:

"Let me at him, I'm gonna **** the ****ing ****er!"

13. DT Footspa

DT Footspa Well-Known Member

IMO absolutely no need to swear on TV at any time ... The problem is the UK lives for its TV

If it swears do what I have done
    Unplug it and make it face the wall for a few days ... You will find that works

14. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

I have no kids so am not in a position to comment directly.

All I will say is that swearing on the streets, dangerous people etc were all visibly in existence for me when I was an independent kid in the late 80s early 90s.

The only difference is what we and the censors deem acceptable. If swearing and violence are allowed through the media are considered normal (at a blanket level) then we are creating that norm ourselves. If, on the other hand, it is left as an indication of those "unsavoury types" in the real world then it leaves that aspect of life largely in the curious, unknown bracket to all children until they reach the age of unavoidable exposure and it becomes a part of their reality (creeping in through playground talk etc).

The standard is set but the censors and their compromising approach - I've heard of films having x number of frames cut in order to make it into a lower certification. This should not be a negotiation and, as a purist, the director removing a small number of unsavoury material to squeeze it into a lower bracket compromises the movie and also is, by nature, constantly testing the boundaries of the classification process. It should be an absolute - submit and take the classification you're given.

Similarly, for TV, a few episodes of Eastenders of Coronation Street forced into a post watershed timeslot would send a very clear message to the producers.

I've said it before - kids are encouraged to grow up too quickly which is odd considering we spend a greater proportion of our lives as adults these days. Why though? I wouldn't swap the age of naivety I had, I wouldn't want to. Everton can enjoy the full creative aspect of the moving arts but they should be targeted at the correct audience and shown at the appropriate time. If parents don't mind their kids seeing stuff that's aimed at an elder age range then fine, it's their choice but it shouldn't change the average for everyone else (and would therefore still be seen as a treat, shrouded in wonder, when allowed to stay up).

Adults need to take responsibility (across all society) for children's development and so need to take a more active role in creating this norm, this representation of everyday life that we expose the children to. We need to make reality follow our projected norm rather than let the conception of what's normal drive our media portrayal of it.

15. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

The 'c' word is banned in my house ,also, unless it's referring to Jan 2nd 2103 in same sentence!

16. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

You should live up here in Scotland - the C word is used for all forms of address, both friendly and unfriendly, and is generally accepted by most people - in fact the only thing it's not really used for is describing "ladies parts" as we have a ton of other words to describe that! The F word is used all the time - think it's generally a Scottish thing - I try not to swear to much in front of the kids, but even the women swear heavily here.

Swearing on TV doesn't really bother me

BTW Staines, you enjoying Penny Dreadful? Thought it was really good and looking forward to next series

17. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

so had that ****ing useless bastard Shakespeare used ****ing bad language it would have been ****ting fine then
    load of **** if you asak me<cool><cool><cool><cool><cool><cool><cool><cool><cool>

18. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

I rarely swear, and haven't used certain words for a long time. I'm finding the subject more relevant now as my daughters are growing up (14 and 11) and the movies they watch are edging up in rating. My argument against them watching certain dvds is very much a sore point at the moment. Even though they hear lots of swearing at school and when they are out and about, I've taken the view that I don't want to hear any swearing from them at any time, and that any dvds I think have excessive swearing in are banned. Ted is a perfect example - to me there's nothing in the film BUT a bear swearing, and so despite the girls saying that they want to see it (and giving me the old "all my friends have seen it" line) it doesn't go on in my house.

What I have noticed is that there's a HUGE range in what makes a dvd a 12, or a 15. Some 12s are barely scraping above a PG, whilst others should probably be a 15 at least. There's very little certainty on what a film will contain just going by the rating.

19. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

you need to be very careful how you censor the world from your kids wlw
    my youngest saw ted when he was 8
    he understood **** all of it but he laughed at the teddy bear trying to do human things
    my wife had a tear in her eye at the ending of the movie and she was over 40

20. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

It's not a case of censoring the world - I'm well aware of what they see and hear outside the house. However, in setting some kind of standard INSIDE the house and with my own behaviour, I can at least show what I feel is the right standard. That sends out just as strong a signal, in my view, as letting an eight year old watch a 15 rated movie which is basically wall-to-wall swearing. I seriously question what boundaries he's imagining, because if you reckoon he didn't understand it, then I'm afraid you're wrong, mate. Eight year olds know EXACTLY what swearing is these days.