1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT - MAN WORK - Eggshell

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Idi Amin, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Idi Amin

Idi Amin Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Thought I would keep the DIY thread going, keeping us occupied without City or England football to look forward to. I could probably google the answer to this, but I thought I would ask the seasoned pro's on the not606 board.

I am planning to paint all the would finishing's in the house in eggshell (I prefer the finish to gloss) and was hoping to gain some advice on any work that's needs to be done prior to doing it, sanding etc. is there any tips to get the finish spot on? If it helps, all the wood has been glossed (reasonably thickly) by the previous owners. I have never done eggshell and would appreciate any advice.

Some more home improvements for ya.....

[video=youtube;Xy-Isdmz2jc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-Isdmz2jc[/video]

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Definitely get the sander out, you want rid of the thick gloss to get a nice finish.

And use a high quality brush.

3. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Air compressor, spray gun, windows open.

**** knows, I don't even know what eggshell is.

But I do know about sanding, make sure you finish it by hand. Sanders are great for blitzing through a work load quickly but they leave a ****e finish. And we all know good prep makes for a good paint.

4. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

I actually prefer satinwood myself, gives a lovely finish. The trick for woodwork is in the preparation (actually that is decorating generally). Put 90% of your effort in that and the rest takes care of itself. Sand to with an inch of its life and make sure you use a good quality brush (as OLM said). Nowt worse than picking hairs out of your skirting boards.

5. Idi Amin

It is the whole house too, so lots of wood to do. I would of liked to of used a sander, but was always going to restrain myself. a long couple of days sanding I think.

I am not sure what a high quality brush is.....I would literally have to go on price :undecided:

6. captain caveman

captain caveman Well-Known Member

Picking hairs out of your toothbrush?

Ah ****, I'm never reading agro's posts ever again!

7. Charlie1

I'd wear one of those masks if you're sanding for long periods. Just the material ones you can get form B & Q etc, not the Hannibal Lecter ones.

On paintbrushes this may help...

http://www.charlesbudddecorating.co.uk/blog/if-paint-brushes-were-cars-or-how-to-choose-a-paint-brush-

8. Idi Amin

I do seem to pick a lot of bristles out, although the finish is not that bad, it does slow you down scraping them out all the time. Cheers Charlie, will check it out the guide......however, I want to use this brush:

[video=youtube;WxkP5S9gmTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxkP5S9gmTk[/video]

9. Charlie1

Quality film Moss, quality film.

You will notice the difference a 'quality' brush will make to your finish. As well as the lack of bristle removal needed.

So proud of you son. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

10. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Mo.

Blades of Glory. I salute you. It's making me chuckle to myself sat at work just thinking about that film. I love that film, and I love Will Ferrell.

Regarding the painting, preparation is key. Sure, it's a pain in the arse, but skimp at the prep stage and you might as well not bother. Sand them down, right down, like said above use electric initially but always finish off by hand. Get a good block for your sand paper and use a nice fine paper to end with.

Good quality brush is next on the list after good solid prep, but size is also important, don't think big is just easier, use the correct size for the board. Then finally use good quality masking tape too.

As pointed out in the other thread, make sure you have the radio on whilst undertaking this task. Doesn't matter what station, except I'd probably avoid RH.

What brand paint are you using may I inquire?

11. Happy Tiger

I forgot to add, if your paint says "1 Coat", it's a lieing bastard.

12. Idi Amin

13. Happy Tiger

Ah rightyo. Make sure its properly dry before doing a second coat.

14. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

I'd use a wood primer before eggshell also, especially if it is sanded down to the wood.

15. Happy Tiger

Good point and reinforces the points about preparation.

16. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

This, I've got a few tips for when it comes to the painting if you want a solid finish that won't chip away at the slightest of knocks.

A smooth, solid primer is essential. Don't just allow it to dry, leave it to properly harden. It can take a day or two to go hard but this time of the year is the prime conditioning for painting. Then with a very fine sandpaper, ever so slightly roughen it up, wash it down and make sure all the dust is gone! That is essential.

When applying the colour, allow each coat to dry, and again properly harden before applying the next. This will give it a nice strong bond.

Finally, when applying the lacquer, get a nice even coat, and once again allow it to harden. Once the lacquer is hard, like with the primer, ever so slightly roughen it up, then wipe away all the dust. Then you need a good polish, G30 is excellent, and give it a proper buff.

With each coat, whether it be primer, base coat or lacquer, make sure you spread the paint evenly and carefully, do NOT get any drips or else your work is ruined.

Also make sure the room is entirely dust free at all times when painting or allowing it to dry. Do not use the windows for ventilation, keep them shut tight, and instead opt for an extraction system to provide airflow. It will be well worth it at the end.

Hope this helps.

17. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Thin the paint down slightly for each coat too. <ok>

18. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

Agree about the dust. The slightest bit of muck will hijack your beautiful finish. Not sure about a lacquer coat though. Eggshell generally doesn't need it, or did you mean stain and lacquer?

19. Idi Amin

Cheers guys, plenty to take on board. I do have undercoat as well. Good tippage (a new word) on the sanding, will try to apply them!! I will be glad when this job is over, seems like it could be the longest.

20. Happy Tiger

3 feet.

You'll get to 3 feet of it and you will REALLY HATE IT and question if it's REALLY worthwhile.

It is, you must be strong, and fight through your natural instinct to cut corners or make the job "easier". Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Don't forget the radio.